#1 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

I've been doing some research on gated entry systems such as the one seen here:

Posted Image

Specifically, I'm looking into the Amano brand for a little project. My primary goal is to trip the gate to open so I can gain access with my car. After watching this video, I became inspired to learn even more. Initial tests with a soda can on the exit gate were unsuccessful. I found the specific model of the gate I'm trying to hack, and even managed to get my hands on a manual :D (attached to this post). I'm not too versed in smaller electronics, but it seems like a couple dip switches inside the control box can open the gate. Unfortunately, this requires removing a plate, which is time-consuming, conspicuous, and generally not as cool as it could be.

Does anyone have experience with this? To me, it seems like the best course of action would be to find a way to trigger the loop on the exit gate and go in the out-way. I postulate that this is probably tripped by some sort of 'metal signature' of a vehicle, or possibly weight. Is there a way to make something small and handheld seem like it's a vehicle...thereby triggering the gate to open? Electromagnet? Am I way far off on this one?

Attached Files

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

It's an inductive loop:

http://auto.howstuff...question234.htm

#3 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

Try waving around a couple strong neodymium(?) magnets over the loop. I'm thinking the 1" square by 1/2 thick might do the trick.

#4 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, I've been looking at traffic light info as well. I figure they both use the same type of loop. I found this site, which denounces the use of strong magnets. Users that posted on the wired article linking to that site, however, said magnets were quite successful for them. Maybe this guy is just really eager to push his patent and will resort to disinformation. I'm going to order some magnets and also try to find something big and metal to test it out.

**EDIT:

I just remembered that a lot of security gates (such as the ones seen in high-class communities) respond to siren sounds in case of emergency. Although it doesn't mention anything about it in the manual, I might try this out.

Edited by snakesonaplane, 09 February 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#5 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

I don't think you have much of a chance unless you can get into the control box when its unattended. Then you could rig some type of remote control device (RF) to trip the vehicle input sensor. The gates at my local airport respond to a warble tone made by an emergency vehicle siren. This is pretty loud. They would know what you were up too.

#6 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:40 PM

You might try junk pickup magnets: they're huge bar magnets that you mount from chains on the front and rear of your vehicle, to pick up screws and such from driveways (before your tires do). While rare earth magnets are quite strong, they do not have as far-reaching a magnetic field as traditional ferrous magnets do. I've seen several-foot-long pickup magnets used to lift a full filing cabinet before, so if any magnet is likely to trip the sensor, that'd be it.

As to police sirens, I've never seen anything personally that picked up on sirens, but it's common practice to use an IR sensor on traffic lights to switch the light if the correct frequency of flashes is picked up -- that is, if something with a flashing emergency strobe is approaching, like a fire truck, the light changes so they can go through. Gates may operate on a similar principle.

We've got Amano access gates around some areas of our campus, so I'll take a look at them next time I walk by one.

#7 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:34 AM

What about doing this over long distances with electron guns and proton packs? ;)

#8 chown

chown

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:26 AM

If it's powerful magnets you're after, this site has what you need: United Nuclear. Scroll down to "supermagnets".

If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.

Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.

If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Sensitive instruments like computers & monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly at great speed to attach themselves to these magnets. If you get caught in between the two, you can be severely injured. These magnets will crush bones in the blink of an eye.
Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be incredibly dangerous.
Of all the unique items we offer for sale, we consider these items the most dangerous of all. Our normal packing & shipping personnel refuse to package these magnets - our engineers have to do it. This is no joke or exaggeration - and we cannot stress it strongly enough. You must be extremely careful - and know what you're doing with these magnets.
Two Supermagnets can very easily get out of control, crush fingers and instantly break ribs or even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other.

Serious business.

#9 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

If it's powerful magnets you're after, this site has what you need: United Nuclear. Scroll down to "supermagnets".

Serious business.

United Nuclear is the shit.

I have gotten some magnets from http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ too.

Good stuff. Don't let them jump at each other.. they can sometimes shatter. (very ugly!)

#10 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

What about magnets from dealextreme? I don't have a whole lot of money to shell out for this project.

#11 chown

chown

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

What about magnets from dealextreme? I don't have a whole lot of money to shell out for this project.

Those things are tiny, they're just intended as toys. You may as well just pull apart an old hard drive and use those magnets, but I doubt they will have much effect.

Edited by chown, 12 February 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#12 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

Not too technical, but when I was young my Mongoose Supergoose with Magnesium Spider Mags would open the gate-systems at all the local parks. No other bikes would work on them. Perhaps cause those mags were so darned heavy.

Posted Image

#13 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

Last night I used a pretty low-tech solution to gain entry. My friend held up the gate just enough till it "locked" and I managed to clear it with about 8" to spare. Can't say it didn't look sketchy though. :roll:

#14 chown

chown

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

I always take a hacksaw with me. I keep it in the glove compartment, and when I get to a parking gate I whip it out and saw it clean off. Next time I'm in the area and need parking, it's free! My friends in the car get a bit edgy when I start haxsawing the gate, but when it's their turn to drive and they have to find parking, they too can get in for free!

#15 elirev4

elirev4

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

are you boring?

#16 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

are you boring?

Why do you post? No really. Why?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!