• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

Well, I've got slackware 12.2 on my laptop, and it's been running pretty smooth so far. One problem I've noticed, though, is that I can't seem to shut down properly from within fluxbox...

My system starts up in runlevel 3, and I log in, then use startx to start up fluxbox. Everything appears to work fine there, but I noticed that changing ttys with ctrl-alt-f# didn't quite work. I guess it changed tty, since I went from fluxbox to a blank screen, but there's no terminal for me to interact with. I can't get back to fluxbox either, and I tried every ctrl-alt-f# combination. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem, but I think it might be, and it needs to be fixed anyways.

I think this may be an issue stemming from me not going into a specific runlevel for X, like runlevel 4 or 5. I can try that, but for some reason KDE starts up instead of fluxbox (must be a setting somewhere...). This isn't really part of the problem as much as possibly part of the solution.

anyways, the real problem comes when I try and turn my laptop off. issuing "shutdown -h -P now" from the command line (before starting fluxbox) works just fine, but after I start up fluxbox and use a terminal like rxvt or xterm to run "shutdown -h -P now", it appears to go through almost all the motions. fluxbox disappears, so I assume init changed runlevel fine, but then I'm left with that same blank screen again and no helpful output to tell me what's happening. I leave it for a few minutes figuring it's still going through the process, but it just hangs there, and I'm forced to hit the power button.

any ideas as to why this is happening? ways to fix it?

#2 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

well, I spent some time on #slackware on freenode and figured it out.

the problem happened whenever I either tried to switch tty in fluxbox/KDE, or exited the window manager in any other way. window manager disappears, I'm left with a blank, but on, display and the fan churns... I moved syslog before I reproduced the problem to see if I could get any errors, and did the same with Xorg.0.log and messages. no luck, as none of those logs were recreated. In hindsight, however, I think this indicated that the shutdown script never actually started to run, since I'm sure it would've placed entries in syslog or messages.

anyways, so I chat in the IRC channel a bit, and with advice, check out the drivers in use. I find out what sort of integrated device I have, (some "savage" thing or other), and edit the xorg.conf to use the "savage" driver. everything works like a charm now :D.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!