• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

What number are we thinking of?

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

I installed the latest version of xubuntu and then I attempted to edit the "/boot/grub/menu.lst" then rebooted and now the wifi doesn't work.

timeout 0
#hiddenmenu
title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
uuid		02f999bc-731c-4e9d-9a01-1d1b1450773a
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=02f999bc-731c-4e9d-9a01-1d1b1450773a
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
I removed "ro quiet splash" from the end of the kernel line and quiet from under initrd.

It booted for the first two times, then failed booting several times after that. I know the wifi worked because I've been using for the entire time until this happened. I've looked at the trouble-shooting for ndiswrapper, that didn't help, but it did say that it was detected and ndisgtk says it's installed and present. Reinstalling via ndisgtk doesn't work either. I've even posted this on ubuntuforums.org to no avail, within a few hours I was already on the fifth page!

The wifi stick fails during times of change, I don't know why. I hope to learn how to solve this little bugger. Thanks in advance.

#2 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

I installed the latest version of xubuntu and then I attempted to edit the "/boot/grub/menu.lst" then rebooted and now the wifi doesn't work.

timeout 0
#hiddenmenu
title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
uuid		02f999bc-731c-4e9d-9a01-1d1b1450773a
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=02f999bc-731c-4e9d-9a01-1d1b1450773a
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
I removed "ro quiet splash" from the end of the kernel line and quiet from under initrd.

It booted for the first two times, then failed booting several times after that. I know the wifi worked because I've been using for the entire time until this happened. I've looked at the trouble-shooting for ndiswrapper, that didn't help, but it did say that it was detected and ndisgtk says it's installed and present. Reinstalling via ndisgtk doesn't work either. I've even posted this on ubuntuforums.org to no avail, within a few hours I was already on the fifth page!

The wifi stick fails during times of change, I don't know why. I hope to learn how to solve this little bugger. Thanks in advance.

Probably doesn't concern your problem exactly.. but about 2 weeks ago my usb wifi 'disappeared' after an update. I could see it on dmesg and lsusb but no wlanX would show up. Finally out of desperation I reinstalled my rt73 drivers and it came right back. Haven't had a problem since. knock on wood.

#3 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

I used ndisgtk to reinstall multiple times and even attempted to install madwifi, but got an error.
Maybe someone could walk me though installing. I am a linux noob, but I do feel comfortable running commands.
I just don't want to reinstall again. This happened right after I just transfered everything to this computer!
I don't want to go through the hassle of doing it again and this could be a good time to figure out a way to fix the wifi problem the plagues linux noobs like me.

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I used ndisgtk to reinstall multiple times and even attempted to install madwifi, but got an error.
Maybe someone could walk me though installing. I am a linux noob, but I do feel comfortable running commands.
I just don't want to reinstall again. This happened right after I just transfered everything to this computer!
I don't want to go through the hassle of doing it again and this could be a good time to figure out a way to fix the wifi problem the plagues linux noobs like me.

I'm still a noob myself.

What I know of installing stuff from source is...

Read the README file.. It's become habit now.

then usually once you've unpacked the source code with tar or whatever you cd into it's directory, find the SRC or source files then enter the three magic commands.

./configure
make
sudo make install

most of the time ^^^ that works... if not, the README file will usually clue you into why. -but not always.

Also have you tried _right_ clicking on the network icon (the two computer screens on one icon, mine is on the upper right side of my screen) maybe wireless networking was disabled somewhere.

#5 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

madwifi isn't a driver for wireless usb adapters...
Do you know the model / chipset of your usb adapter? Find your product on the list of supported devices. A lot of Atheros USB adapters use the zd1211rw driver.

#6 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

I know about the "make" and "sudo make install", I've read all the readme's (habbit) and none of them say to start off with the "./confiure" command. When I attempted to install jack the ripper, I got an error, maybe it's because I didn't do the "./configure" command.

How would you find out the model # and such? I do have the results of "lsusb":
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1385:4251 Netgear, Inc WG111T (no firmware)

I've used it before so I don't know why it's not working. I'd also love to get the internal card working too. Did some attempts at that too, failed yet again. Sad. Thanks for the driver Spyril.

#7 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

I know about the "make" and "sudo make install", I've read all the readme's (habbit) and none of them say to start off with the "./confiure" command. When I attempted to install jack the ripper, I got an error, maybe it's because I didn't do the "./configure" command.

How would you find out the model # and such? I do have the results of "lsusb":
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1385:4251 Netgear, Inc WG111T (no firmware)

I've used it before so I don't know why it's not working. I'd also love to get the internal card working too. Did some attempts at that too, failed yet again. Sad. Thanks for the driver Spyril.

Not sure, I'm still a bit of a novice. My Belkin, I figured it out by opening the thing and googled the numbers I found on the chips inside it.

Looked up the 1385:4251 identifier for your usb device. After a little digging found this:

https://help.ubuntu....er)?action=show

It's probably close enough to give it a try, or at least a good read for clues.

but I'm not too read up on the differences between xubuntu and ubuntu. take it for what it's worth.

#8 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

"configure" should be the name of a script in the directory of the source code. It looks at many different system variables and generates a Makefile for building code suitable for your machine.

Not sure, I'm still a bit of a novice. My Belkin, I figured it out by opening the thing and googled the numbers I found on the chips inside it.

Looked up the 1385:4251 identifier for your usb device. After a little digging found this:

but I'm not too read up on the differences between xubuntu and ubuntu. take it for what it's worth.

Not sure how you ended up on a page detailing a broadcom mini-PCIe adapter when searching for a Netgear USB adapter ;)
Anyway I found a handy list of USB IDs here. Looks like this thread will help you install your driver. Good luck. :)

Edited by Spyril, 06 February 2009 - 12:34 AM.

#9 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

"configure" should be the name of a script in the directory of the source code. It looks at many different system variables and generates a Makefile for building code suitable for your machine.

Not sure how you ended up on a page detailing a broadcom mini-PCIe adapter when searching for a Netgear USB adapter ;)
Anyway I found a handy list of USB IDs here. Looks like this thread will help you install your driver. Good luck. :)

I just followed the vender and product IDs and it lead me there after reading down a forum somewhere. My bad.

Would ndiswrapper figure it out when you supplied the OEM drivers?
-or have I flown the coup again?

edit:

Another possibly useful list: https://help.ubuntu....sCardsSupported

Edited by PurpleJesus, 06 February 2009 - 02:12 AM.

#10 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

I found the problem! I was missing a file from where I was installing. I have to thank Spyril, for it it wasn't for the thread you posted I'd never have fixed this. Installing from command line, said that I was missing <insert file>. After some fooling around, I got the right setup to work on the computer. Figured out I had to unplug the usb each time I test to find the right files, eventually I did. Now I just have the problem of using it on boot up. The usb LED flashes, but won't work; not until after I reinstall it does it finally work. I added "ndiswrapper" to the modules file as stated in the thread Spyril posted no avail. Thank you all for your help!

To bypass the reinstall, I need to have the wifi stick unplugged, once started I can plug the stick in and it'll work. I tried to add the last little bit to the interfaces file, I couldn't find the "+" so I just added to the end. Didn't work so I erased it.

Edited by Retro-Starr, 08 February 2009 - 11:58 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!