4 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

Hi,

I have an old iBook G3 700Mhz running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. As the battery lasts about 30 minutes and it has no wireless card, I cannot really use it unless I connect it to my LAN using a cable and plug the power cord. I would prefer to be able to access it remotely, but I'm not a big mac user and I don't really know what I could do. I can ssh to it, but I doubt I can forward aqua applications. I have tried googling XDMCP for Mac but I haven't found what I was looking for. What would be the best way to remotely access a mac? Either a full desktop or individual applications at a time is fine. Thanks to the mac geek who will help me out on that one.

#2 Dirk Chestnut

Dirk Chestnut

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:10 AM

Run a VNC server on your Mac?

http://www.dssw.co.u...n-mac-os-x-104/

#3 thepcdude

thepcdude

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

I would say VNC, and right now I'm saying "ooo! ooo!" cause I want to point out that you should ssh into your mac and use the terminal command "say" to make it say stuff! :D
I just had to throw that out there....... it's so much fucking fun!!

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

VNC is the way to go for remote Aqua usage. I used it with a PowerMac G4 @ 450 MHz to play around with OS X. Also, you may consider adding an internal AirPort PCMCIA card, or an external USB 802.11 card to your iMac -- they're not too expensive anymore. If you have a PCMCIA 802.11 card that's supported under OS X and will fit in the under-keyboard slot, that will work too. As for the battery, they're not too hard to rebuild if you can solder.

#5 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

search for my post on VNC repeater .. this works great for firewalls etc ..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!