61 replies to this topic

#41 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

OpenOffice, anyone? It opens Word documents, and it's free. :huh:

Does OpenOffice open Word 2007 (.docx) documents? Microsoft is always going to be a step ahead of these open source projects. It's part of their marketing model.

#42 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

I've never attended an institution of higher learning, but always assumed possessing the ability to get needed materials was a perquisite. I mean in 1st grade we had to get crayons, glue, and No. 2 pencils?

WoW.

#43 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, you have to buy all your own materials, plus books that can cost up to several hundred dollars each.

#44 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, you have to buy all your own materials, plus books that can cost up to several hundred dollars each.

At least people from India have started selling their ultra-cheap paperback printings of our Computer Science books online!

And yes, the current version of OpenOffice will open Office 2007 files (docx, xlsx, etc).

#45 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

True, I've purchased a few CS and Psych books from a campus bookstore on a few occasions.

#46 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Not to deviate from the topic, but I too have been a victim of outrageous textbook prices and the type of monopoly these publishing companies establish. I have no moral qualms about using alternate, 'digital' methods to obtain these materials.

#47 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Not to deviate from the topic, but I too have been a victim of outrageous textbook prices and the type of monopoly these publishing companies establish. I have no moral qualms about using alternate, 'digital' methods to obtain these materials.

Alternatively, you could share a book with the hot girl sitting next to you.

#48 phr34kc0der

phr34kc0der

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

Alternatively, you could share a book with the hot girl sitting next to you.

Im doin comp sci. There's about 3 hot girls in the whole course and for some reason it's rarely me they sit next to (I guess im just too hot that i make 'em shy ^_^ )

#49 rainbow2009

rainbow2009

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

:roll: :) :D Love the disccusion in this forum

pret auto

Edited by rainbow2009, 21 April 2009 - 03:02 AM.

#50 AldarHawk

AldarHawk

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

MS Word and OpenOffice are EXACTLY the same.

OpenOffice is NOT exactly like Microsoft Office. If you are talking Office 2003, I will give it to you. However, Office 2007 saves in a file format you need to get an add-on for OpenOffice installed (in other words NOT OUT OF THE BOX) to open them. Word 2007 saves by default in *.docx format which you need to install odf-converter to make it work. Now most standard users do not know what the hell odf-converter is so please read up before posting these comments (no offense intended) because it is comments like this that make normal end users cry about Linux because they would think "but phasma said it would work and it is not *cry*".

Anyways, Yes OpenOffice is an acceptable alternative to most document systems.

in regards to the poor woman dropping out.... :huh: what an idiot -_-

#51 G-Brain

G-Brain

mad 1337

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

However, Office 2007 saves in a file format you need to get an add-on for OpenOffice installed (in other words NOT OUT OF THE BOX) to open them. Word 2007 saves by default in *.docx format which you need to install odf-converter to make it work. Now most standard users do not know what the hell odf-converter is so please read up before posting these comments (no offense intended) because it is comments like this that make normal end users cry about Linux because they would think "but phasma said it would work and it is not *cry*".

Anyways, Yes OpenOffice is an acceptable alternative to most document systems.

OpenOffice 3 opens .docx just fine "OUT OF THE BOX".

http://marketing.ope..._Import_Filters

#52 singeroi

singeroi

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

lol how frustrating is that.. theres always openoffice whis is easier to install..
pret personnel

Edited by singeroi, 08 May 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#53 intimidat0r

intimidat0r

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

Or you can get Crossover and use MS Office on Linux. :D (This has worked well for me thus far).

Use a little ingenuity if you don't want to lay out about $25 for it.

#54 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

too lazy to read as i dont care about some random garbage, but yeah if the class was actually ms word 101 openoffice wouldn't work inless it was exactly the same menu/interface as teachers atent all that smart, e.g. aalgebra 1-2 in highschool usually wants ti83 calculator. (in my school atleast) why? thats the only calculator they know how to use when you find out the whole class is like reading the 3-400 page manual on how to use it the person with the random calculator is like wtf what do i do. e.g.2 taking c++ class for visual c++ with mingw they are different. you cant teach some one to drive a stickshift when they have a automatic car.

#55 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

you cant teach some one to drive a stickshift when they have a automatic car.

Um, yes you can. :huh:

#56 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

Use a little ingenuity if you don't want to lay out about $25 for it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that ingenuity wasn't this chick's strong suit.

#57 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:21 AM

He means you can't teach someone how to drive stick, using a car that has a automatic transmission. You can tell them what they should do, but without the clutch and gear shift to allow them to try...

You can't teach someone how to read greek using english books.

#58 soloist

soloist

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:12 AM

Openoffice is a good alternative but i don't know about you but whenever i open a MS office document in it the formating is always way off for tables/images and diagrams. This isn't so bad when your viewing it but if you save it and have to give it to someone using ms office then i becomes troublesome. For assignments i just save it as a pdf so it all stays the same but when you have to group work ect then it becomes difficult. However as the college was open to accepting these formats (which mine certainly is not) then this just seems really silly. Don't know if anyones checked back on the article but i find the backlash by ubuntu users quiet hilarious.

#59 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

Lol, couldnt she have got some geek to pirate a copy of XP and supe up her comp a bit?

jeez, shes a girl, she could have got curvy on me and I would have done it for free :P

hehehe just sayin.

#60 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

He means you can't teach someone how to drive stick, using a car that has a automatic transmission. You can tell them what they should do, but without the clutch and gear shift to allow them to try...

You can't teach someone how to read greek using english books.

Oh, that's what he meant.

Now, if only you could go and translate all his posts into understandable terms... ^_^

jeez, shes a girl, she could have got curvy on me and I would have done it for free :P

I don't know how old you are, but I still think some advice would be useful...

If you are the guy who does that stuff for girls, you will never get laid. ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!