http://addins.wkowtv...ndthenews/?p=80

#22 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

So what do you do?

Smack them in the head with a blunt object?

#23 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

The new story mentions this story got 120,000+ hits and...

That's also when the comments - many of them angry, rude, and hateful - started pouring in.

I guess too may people said "nubs" and they cried.

#24 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

MS Word and OpenOffice are EXACTLY the same.

Um, no they're not. Kind of close, maybe... but nowhere near "exactly". I'm not really a power user of either one, but I've had OpenOffice either mangle or at least not get quite right enough Word documents that I feel confident making that statement. Sure, with a little tweaking, you can get your document to look the same in OO. But I return to my original point that she didn't want to have to "tweak" anything; she just wanted to do her work and get back to her drinking and sororitizing.

Let's go back to the car analogy. I absolutely hate having to mess with my car. I hate having to check tire pressure, change the oil, fill the wiper fluid, etc, etc, etc... I simply want my car to work when I need it, in a manner that I expect it to -- start when I turn the key, drive when I put it in gear, stop when I step on the brakes, that kind of thing. I do not want to put one single second of time into keeping the car working; I'm not a gearhead who is interested in that kind of stuff. (I'd much rather be tinkering with a computer, as it so happens.)

Now, let's say someone sold me a car (imagine with me, here) that was in fact cheaper than "most" comparable cars, but had the following stipulations:
- uses tires of a non-standard size and made of a material that you have to specially order from Bulgaria
- gets 75 mpg, but runs on a bizarre mixture of diesel fuel, kerosene, 2% milk, and sheep urine
- steering wheel is in the back seat, on the right side
- have to manually adjust the spark gap in the plugs; plugs with the correct gap are not available anywhere, so you have to take existing ones and mush them around to make them fit
- only two garages in a 50-mile radius have anyone who knows how to work on this kind of car, and they're just plain dorks all around

Obviously, an exaggeratedly fabricated situation... but hopefully my point comes through. For us computer dweebs, it's easy enough to say "just gewgle it lol" or "dude, all she had to do was download the drivers from www.ubuntufreaksyourmom.org and install them in ndiswrapper... DUH!" But for someone who only knows how to push the on button and email daddy asking for more money, anything else is not what she wanted -- especially if she was buying a computer from Dell. I would say she made an honest mistake in ordering with Ubuntu instead of Windows; but the salesman who talked her into keeping it is the real idiot here.

And anybody who drops out of college and wastes a semester of tuition, books, etc just because she got Ubuntu on her laptop doesn't deserve a refund.

Have to agree with you there. I would assume the first step would be speaking with the professor, something along the lines of, "Hey, I just bought a new computer but it's not set up right and I'm having some trouble. Would I be able to use the computers in the lab/library for a couple weeks until I get it straightened out?". Maybe dropping ONE class if it is an extreme need (i.e. "Microsoft Word 101" would be kind of hard to swing), but normally if you drop a class early enough in the semester, they will refund most if not all of your tuition.

#25 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hm... interesting. They've changed the original text of the article:

However, we think we've helped her get back to school.

Verizon says it will dispatch a technician to try to assist her accessing the internet without using the Windows-only installation disk.

MATC also says it promises to accept any of Schubert's papers or class documents using whatever software she has installed.

However, we think we've helped her get back to school.

Verizon says it will dispatch a technician to try to assist her accessing the internet without using the Windows-only installation disk. Verizon says its high-speed internet does indeed support Ubuntu, but some advanced features and installation disks clearly don't work with Linux.

MATC also says it promises to accept any of Schubert's papers or class documents using whatever software she has installed.

Schubert's computer came with Open Office, a word processing software package that is compatible with Microsoft Word. She says she wasn't aware it was compatible. MATC promised to show her how to save documents in compatible formats so she could enroll in online courses again.

Changes the tone of the end of the article a bit, in my opinion.

#26 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

As said before, you can fix ugly, but you can't fix stupid.

#27 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

Very perceptive on catching the edits mirrorshades.

#28 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

Now, let's say someone sold me a car (imagine with me, here) that was in fact cheaper than "most" comparable cars, but had the following stipulations:
- uses tires of a non-standard size and made of a material that you have to specially order from Bulgaria
- gets 75 mpg, but runs on a bizarre mixture of diesel fuel, kerosene, 2% milk, and sheep urine
- have to manually adjust the spark gap in the plugs; plugs with the correct gap are not available anywhere, so you have to take existing ones and mush them around to make them fit
- only two garages in a 50-mile radius have anyone who knows how to work on this kind of car, and they're just plain dorks all around

This sounds like most Eastern Bloc cars.

#29 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

MS Word and OpenOffice are EXACTLY the same.

Um, no they're not. Kind of close, maybe... but nowhere near "exactly". I'm not really a power user of either one, but I've had OpenOffice either mangle or at least not get quite right enough Word documents that I feel confident making that statement. Sure, with a little tweaking, you can get your document to look the same in OO. But I return to my original point that she didn't want to have to "tweak" anything; she just wanted to do her work and get back to her drinking and sororitizing.

Let's go back to the car analogy. I absolutely hate having to mess with my car. I hate having to check tire pressure, change the oil, fill the wiper fluid, etc, etc, etc... I simply want my car to work when I need it, in a manner that I expect it to -- start when I turn the key, drive when I put it in gear, stop when I step on the brakes, that kind of thing. I do not want to put one single second of time into keeping the car working; I'm not a gearhead who is interested in that kind of stuff. (I'd much rather be tinkering with a computer, as it so happens.)

Obviously, an exaggeratedly fabricated situation... but hopefully my point comes through. For us computer dweebs, it's easy enough to say "just gewgle it lol" or "dude, all she had to do was download the drivers from www.ubuntufreaksyourmom.org and install them in ndiswrapper... DUH!" But for someone who only knows how to push the on button and email daddy asking for more money, anything else is not what she wanted -- especially if she was buying a computer from Dell. I would say she made an honest mistake in ordering with Ubuntu instead of Windows; but the salesman who talked her into keeping it is the real idiot here.

And anybody who drops out of college and wastes a semester of tuition, books, etc just because she got Ubuntu on her laptop doesn't deserve a refund.

Have to agree with you there. I would assume the first step would be speaking with the professor, something along the lines of, "Hey, I just bought a new computer but it's not set up right and I'm having some trouble. Would I be able to use the computers in the lab/library for a couple weeks until I get it straightened out?". Maybe dropping ONE class if it is an extreme need (i.e. "Microsoft Word 101" would be kind of hard to swing), but normally if you drop a class early enough in the semester, they will refund most if not all of your tuition.

I like your car analogy, it's very nice. But come on! It's the salesman's fault for selling her the computer machine? Bull. That'd be like me saying I really didn't want to give the guy a blowjob, but he talked me into it because all the guys are doing it. That's just silly. It isn't anyone's fault but her own for being a moron and clicking the some strange computer in the first place. Someone mentioned (I believe it was Ohm) that this isn't a 20 dollar t-shirt, this is a 1000 dollar computer machine. And for $1000 dollars, you'd better make sure it's something you really want.

#30 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

I like your car analogy, it's very nice. But come on! It's the salesman's fault for selling her the computer machine? Bull. That'd be like me saying I really didn't want to give the guy a blowjob, but he talked me into it because all the guys are doing it. That's just silly. It isn't anyone's fault but her own for being a moron and clicking the some strange computer in the first place. Someone mentioned (I believe it was Ohm) that this isn't a 20 dollar t-shirt, this is a 1000 dollar computer machine. And for $1000 dollars, you'd better make sure it's something you really want.

Well, keep in mind two things:

1) She had no idea what she was doing. I assume you know full well that you aren't interested in performing orally on someone of your own gender.

2) She did, in fact, call back to try to straighten it out. It was the salesman who convinced her that she *really* wanted linux instead. That kind of thing just makes me explode into a ball of flame. It is the salesman's job to listen to what the customer says they want, then provide information on what the best possible options might be. This chick was *clearly* in no position to mess with anything non-easy and, thus, should not have been told otherwise. Linux is nowhere near ready for the Aunt Tillies of the world, despite how attractive and multi-cultural the people in the Ubuntu ads are.

A more realistic example would be me purchasing a vehicle with a standard transmission (seeing as how I cannot drive one). If I returned to the car lot and told the salesman, "Um, I can't find where to put it into Drive, and I'm not sure what this big stick with the knob on it is for"... then the salesman should realize that I have no freaking clue and just get me a car I can drive away in. All the smooth-talking "hey, manual transmission gives you better gas mileage" and "come on, what kind of man are you who can't drive standard?" does me no good and makes me want to burn the place down.

(Yah, I don't care much for sleazy salesmen or their sleazy tactics.)

I'm not saying that the chick in the story couldn't have done more to help herself... but she was clearly out of her area of expertise and made a bad decision, then was talked out of redressing it properly by some dumbass who thought she sounded cute on the phone and probably offered his phone number for "emergency 24-hour on-site tech support".

#31 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

(Yah, I don't care much for sleazy salesmen or their sleazy tactics.)

I agree with you 100% in the fact that sleazy salesmen are sleazy. But the whole peer pressured into buying something just doesn't hold weight with me. Like you said, she should have helped herself and she didn't. If you were talked into buying that car because it's better on gas, even though you have no clue as how to drive manual, you aren't helping society let alone yourself. Why should someone else be blamed for your mistake? And why should the media give you a cookie?

#32 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

I agree with you about the media... it's just dumb that this story got so much attention.

I still put the majority of the blame on the salesman, though... only because she *did* realize that it wasn't what she wanted and was trying to make it right. The salesman apparently took advantage of her lack of knowledge to try to convince her that she could get by with what she ordered instead of just fixing it for her. I hate that kind of crap.

#33 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

On the other hand.. Now when people hear about this girl and go looking up that article they'll (hopefully) see the new edited article, and people may become more aware of open-source alternatives to Windows. Some may get curious and give it a go. Or at the least, start asking questions. This might turn into a good thing.. might.

For the record:
-I'd hit that too.

#34 Poet

Poet

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

For the record:
-I'd hit that too.

I dunno man, I wouldn't want to get stupid on me.

[...] you can fix ugly, but you can't fix stupid.

This quote is so awesome it's now mine, I own it now, it and its awesome are both mine.

I still don't get how she didn't figure things out for herself. When I started reading I had a rant but the further I read this thread the fewer things I had to add. But yea, you don't need to be a genius to use Google. It's not hard to look up information, people just want to push the button and have things work. Bah, makes me so sad at how brain dead we're becoming. Also the whole "not all people want to mess with computers" bit is void imo, if you're in an institute to learn about something you should be in the mind set to learn about anything that might pop up during your education. Like me going "But I never wanted to learn maths in my free time, I just want a degree in Computorz plzzzz..."

Edit:

I agree with you about the media... it's just dumb that this story got so much attention.

I still put the majority of the blame on the salesman, though... only because she *did* realize that it wasn't what she wanted and was trying to make it right. The salesman apparently took advantage of her lack of knowledge to try to convince her that she could get by with what she ordered instead of just fixing it for her. I hate that kind of crap.

While I understand what you said he's a salesman, he sold. Her lack of knowledge helped in the sale probably. It's his job, not his fault she didn't know what was what. Again I reiterate, how hard is it to look up Ubuntu and come to the conclusion that you don't want to use it as your OS? From what I understand she didn't even know about Open Office compatability? She didn't try to open a document on her PC? Come on now. I am pretty stupid sometimes to but alteast I try lol.

Edited by Poet, 16 January 2009 - 03:49 PM.

#35 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Also the whole "not all people want to mess with computers" bit is void imo, if you're in an institute to learn about something you should be in the mind set to learn about anything that might pop up during your education. Like me going "But I never wanted to learn maths in my free time, I just want a degree in Computorz plzzzz..."

Why? If she has no interest and just wants something that works, why force it on her? Or why not let her learn it on her own terms? What if she was studying History, or English, or Biology? There's no need for linux experience in any of those fields.

While I understand what you said he's a salesman, he sold. Her lack of knowledge helped in the sale probably. It's his job, not his fault she didn't know what was what.

No, I mean the one she spoke with when she found out she didn't want Ubuntu and called back to have them exchange it. He didn't sell her anything; if anything, he prevented her from returning it and making a more expensive purchase. That kind of linux fanaticism -- pushing open source alternatives on people before they're ready -- does more harm than good.

#36 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

That kind of linux fanaticism -- pushing open source alternatives on people before they're ready -- does more harm than good.

While that's true, I really doubt that's really what happened. Here's what probably happened:

Dumbgrrl calls Dell, and gets Dell guy on the phone:

Dell guy - Hi, you've reached the Dell guy, how can I help?
Dumbgrrl - I bought a computer machine from you guys, and it has something on it called Ubuntu. I didn't want it, and I'd rather go with Windows, because Microsoft Word doesn't install, and I can't use the (dumb) Verizon disk to get on the Global Intarweb!
Dell guy - Ok, you can send the computer machine back, but we'll charge you an extra 114 bucks for the Windows license.
Dumbgrrl - OH NOS! I don't have the extra 114 dollars, and why should I have to pay for it when you guys screwed up and sent me the wrong item?
Dell guy - We didn't send you the wrong item Miss, you chose it.
Dumbgrrl - Well I want Windows! Windows, Windows, Windows!!! Give it now, or I'm gunna tell on you!
Dell guy - Still, you'll have to pay for the Windows license.
Dumbgrrl - No I don't. You guys should fix it for free, because I'm a princess!!

Dumbgrrl hangs up phone and complains to her father, and drops out of her one class: Microsoft Word 101.

I went a bit overboard, but this is probably the sort of thing that happened. People are Nazi's with their money, and she probably didn't want to pay for the Windows license, but wanted it to be cured for her for free. I agree that open source shouldn't be shoved down peoples throats, because some people aren't ready for it, and may never be. Perhaps someday open source will be completely mainstream, and then we'll be complaining that open source is going down hill and that everyone should go back to Microsoft because it may save the world.

Edited by isolationx, 16 January 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#37 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

For the record:
-I'd hit that too.

I dunno man, I wouldn't want to get stupid on me.

[...] you can fix ugly, but you can't fix stupid.

This quote is so awesome it's now mine, I own it now, it and its awesome are both mine.

You can't steal what has already been stolen. :nono:

#38 Poet

Poet

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

Also the whole "not all people want to mess with computers" bit is void imo, if you're in an institute to learn about something you should be in the mind set to learn about anything that might pop up during your education. Like me going "But I never wanted to learn maths in my free time, I just want a degree in Computorz plzzzz..."

Why? If she has no interest and just wants something that works, why force it on her? Or why not let her learn it on her own terms? What if she was studying History, or English, or Biology? There's no need for linux experience in any of those fields.

While I understand what you said he's a salesman, he sold. Her lack of knowledge helped in the sale probably. It's his job, not his fault she didn't know what was what.

No, I mean the one she spoke with when she found out she didn't want Ubuntu and called back to have them exchange it. He didn't sell her anything; if anything, he prevented her from returning it and making a more expensive purchase. That kind of linux fanaticism -- pushing open source alternatives on people before they're ready -- does more harm than good.

Yea, that's fair enough. I was under the assumption she was studying something about computers but now looking closer it could be anything really. I still don't think it was bright of her to give in to the sales guy though, if she wanted Windows she should have told ‘em. At the end of the day it was her choice, also it's Ubuntu, not the worlds most difficult destro to use ^_^

Also personally, if I realise I was messing up in my course due to a computer issue I'd fix it quickly. I may be (quite) close-minded but I don't see how people can be so computer illiterate in this day and age. Even if she was she could have asked any of her colleagues for help and I’m sure at least one of them would be able to help her sort it out. Accidentally leave a copy of Windows lying around and forget about it kind of help.

Edited by Poet, 16 January 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#39 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

"She just wanted to enroll in online classes" until that impostor windows operating system was forced onto her by the evil corporation.

Obviously she was never on the right page :lol:

#40 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

Hey, look! Linux Hater agrees with me!

First off, Dell, YOU HAVE A FREETARD IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT. You just might want to do something about that. I suggest implementing an improved resume review process to make sure you weed them out.

Secondly, a general rule of selling computers: DON’T PUSH LINUX UNLESS YOUR CUSTOMER EXPLICITLY ASKS FOR IT.

And for good measure, ask: “Are you sure?”

http://linuxhaters.b...dear-abbie.html

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!