61 replies to this topic

#1 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

http://www.wkowtv.co...;nav=menu1362_2

MCFARLAND (WKOW) -- Abbie Schubert paid more than $1,100 for a Dell laptop hoping to enroll in online classes at MATC.

But something stopped her: Ubuntu.

That's an operating system for your computer similar to Windows that runs off the Linux system.

Schubert says she ordered her laptop online at Dell.com expecting to buy your classic bread-and-butter computer.

She didn't realize until the next morning her laptop defaulted to the Ubuntu operating system.

"It's been a mess," she said. "I regret ordering the computer."

Schubert says she never heard of Ubuntu before learning that's when she accidentally bought. She called Dell the very next day and says the representative told her there was still time to change back to Windows.

But she says Dell discouraged her.

"The person I was talking to said Ubuntu was great, college students loved it, it was compatible with everything I needed," said Schubert.

So she stuck with it.

Later, she discovered Ubuntu might look like Windows, but it doesn't always act like it.

Her Verizon High-Speed Internet CD won't load, so she can't access the internet. She also can't install Microsoft Word, which she says is a requirement for MATC's online classes.

As a result, with no internet and no Microsoft Word, Schubert dropped out of MATC's fall and spring semesters.

She also says Dell claimed it was now too late to get Windows and any changes she made herself would void her warranty.

"I'm extremely frustrated," said Schubert. "I wanted to get back to school, but I needed a computer to be able to do that."

27 News contacted Dell, but the company has not responded to us yet.

However, we think we've helped her get back to school.

Verizon says it will dispatch a technician to try to assist her accessing the internet without using the Windows-only installation disk.

MATC also says it promises to accept any of Schubert's papers or class documents using whatever software she has installed.

OpenOffice, anyone? It opens Word documents, and it's free. :huh:

This is the problem Linux faces for mainstream adoption: most people don't know any more about their computers than they do about their toasters. This person was dumbfounded that a Windows application didn't install as-is in Linux. Not just the blonde, but evidently the reporter as well. So what do you do? You can't expect people to know as much about computers as we do. They're not interested. Just like some of us aren't interested in knowing the rules of Soccer. To me, that seems to be the obstacle right there.

Edited by Seal, 14 January 2009 - 07:44 PM.

#2 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

This can be a good example of many things...

1. Regular people should just stick to Windows until they decide they want to learn about computers.

2. Companies like Dell shouldn't sell computers with Ubuntu on them or they are going to run into some serious problems with customers.

3. People should know what they are buying. But I'm going to assume that she ended up with Ubuntu because the price of the laptop with Windows was more money.

4. If companies like Dell want to sell computers with Ubuntu on them, they perhaps should include all sorts of things like, as Seal mentioned Open Office, etc. I don't know, maybe some software for at least the fucking wireless card. It seems that they didn't.

Or just, ya know, sell their shit with Windows on it.

Edited by decoder, 14 January 2009 - 07:52 PM.

#3 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 376 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

OpenOffice, anyone? It opens Word documents, and it's free. :huh:

... but the college _requires_ Word! Unfortunately the problem lies with the 'how to use a specific application' rather than 'how to use a word processor' attitude.

That said she's foolish for purchasing the wrong thing, but someone should have suggested WINE or Crossover Office.
Mungewell.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

You'd think she would have at least called Verizon about not being able to get connected to the Internet. Even the local (and this is West Virginia local) dial-up ISP my grandmother uses will offer to put you in contact with someone in the IT department to help get your connection working under Linux.

Dell should have informed her that Windows and Linux aren't the same thing, but you'd think someone with $1k+ to spend on a laptop ought to be bright enough to ask for help or something. If nothing else, any local computer shop should've been able to install Windows for her. Sure, there's a /price/ to get a machine serviced, but still, no one with any sense should feel the world's against them or something because they're too ignorant/lazy/whatever to take care of their own problems.

People like this piss me off because it's almost universally a case of wanting to transfer blame of failure to someone else. So you screwed up and ordered the wrong thing -- accept your losses and fix your screwup, or pay someone who knows what they're doing to fix it for you. Not having the in-depth computer knowledge to install Wine or reformat and install Windows XP is no excuse to just throw your hands up and play helpless.

</rant>

#5 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

You can't expect people to know as much about computers as we do. They're not interested. Just like some of us aren't interested in knowing the rules of Soccer. To me, that seems to be the obstacle right there.

Umm this doesn't work because, although not all of us may know or even be interested in knowing the rules of Soccer, if a situation were to arise where we needed to know the rules of soccer we could find them out (Google, asking someone, read a book, etc...)

It's not a matter of people not being interested in learning, it's a matter of people not being willing to try.

#6 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

Imagine that you bought a car with a diesel engine, except you don't know what diesel is, the people who sold you the car never told you it was diesel, none of the gas stations in your area have diesel and even they never told you your problem.

But the diesel was cheaper than the gasoline model. That, you do know.

To get the answer, you first have to know the question and then find someone who knows the answer. Otherwise you're going to be putting gasoline in a diesel engine and have no clue what could possibly be wrong.

Maybe this is why there aren't that many diesel cars in the U.S.

#7 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

Imagine that you bought a car with a diesel engine, except you don't know what diesel is, the people who sold you the car never told you it was diesel, none of the gas stations in your area have diesel and even they never told you your problem.

But the diesel was cheaper than the gasoline model. That, you do know.

To get the answer, you first have to know the question and then find someone who knows the answer. Otherwise you're going to be putting gasoline in a diesel engine and have no clue what could possibly be wrong.

Maybe this is why there aren't that many diesel cars in the U.S.

Pretty good analogy.

#8 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

Nah.

This right here is the real problem:

Schubert says she never heard of Ubuntu before learning that's when she accidentally bought. She called Dell the very next day and says the representative told her there was still time to change back to Windows.

But she says Dell discouraged her.

"The person I was talking to said Ubuntu was great, college students loved it, it was compatible with everything I needed," said Schubert.

So she stuck with it.

The salesman, in an attempt to be "hip" and "l33t" convinced someone to purchase something they didn't need and didn't realize that they didn't want. This was obviously someone who had little to no idea about anything technical and was just looking for something that *works* that she could use to write papers and check email. She wasn't someone who was looking to "tinker" with anything, she didn't want to have to make any calls or look anything up on Google on someone else's computer to try to figure out how to make everything work. She didn't want to know that there are open source alternatives available that are only slightly less functional but that let you Break Free from your Shackles and Stick It To The Man.

All she wanted was a working computer. She even called and asked for one, and was persuaded otherwise. And yes... it would obviously be cheaper without Windows and so that's probably why she originally configured it that way. But it's very likely an oversight on the part of Dell to simply offer both without some sort of "Hey, are you sure you know what you're doing?" if they're selling linux to the mainstream.

So... I blame the salesman and Dell. His attempt to be slick has probably forever turned several people who read that article off from ever trying anything related to linux.

#9 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Ubuntu comes with Openoffice, and I would imagine everything had been pre-configured in the first place, so the wlan0 would have worked right out of the box, as well as the eth0. The lady must not have even tried to open a word document, because she would have seen it would have worked fine. If this sort of thing happened to me, people would outright tell me to shut the fuck up and get over it. It's too bad women are treated differently.

#10 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, i was wondering about that Verizon CD. Why would you need it?

#11 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

Perhaps for PPPoE setup or something -- do they still do that with aDSL lines? I know around here they've been pushing preconfigured modem/router/802.11 AP combos, meaning tons of free wifi because they come with no encryption by default.

#12 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

Perhaps for PPPoE setup or something -- do they still do that with aDSL lines? I know around here they've been pushing preconfigured modem/router/802.11 AP combos, meaning tons of free wifi because they come with no encryption by default.

The Verizon disk is probably just the general setup disk for regular users. You know:

"Make sure your computer is on....make sure your dsl modem is on..."

At least that's what I think.

#13 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 376 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Pretty good analogy.

Yes. You can move onto talking about the benefits of Bio-Diesel :-)

#14 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

Woman drops out of college because she's an idiot.

She knew she wanted Windows, why didn't she just swap it out in the first place. I can imagine clicking the wrong thing on the web interface (they offer Ubuntu on the web interface?), but to not return it and get what you wanted? This isn't a $20 sweater that's one size too small, it's a $1000 computer. And to actually drop out after it didn't do what she needed? Did she lose tuition? Already pay for books? Not to mention wasting an entire semester of time. She's stupid on many levels.

But yes, as discussed in the other thread, Linux does confuse people. It's hard to know what Linux can and can't do if you don't even know what an Operating System is.

#15 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:12 PM

Woman drops out of college because she's an idiot.

Fuck, I was just about to post the exact same thing but my connection died, lol.

#16 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

MS Word and OpenOffice are EXACTLY the same. And anybody who drops out of college and wastes a semester of tuition, books, etc just because she got Ubuntu on her laptop doesn't deserve a refund. Looks to me she obviously doesn't have the capacity to goto college so she is using Dell as a scapegoat!

#17 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

Attached File  dumbhead.jpg   65.46KB   13 downloads

#18 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

She didn't even have to drop out. The school said it's OK for her to use Ubuntu and OpenOffice. She just decided to give up because computers are too hard.

Thank goodness the friendly television news team came to the rescue and fixed everything for her!

It's a good thing she's hot and looks good on camera, or else she'd really be up shits creek.

#19 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

Normally those TV news things are meant to help people when they have been royally screwed over by some random company. I've seen them go after dishonest contractors that have taken deposits and never done any work, or done shoddy work, or left jobs half-finished. (yes, it's usually contractors for some reason.) I've even seen them go after Martha Stewart because she was selling glass tables with inferior glass that liked to shatter for no reason. People suffered bodily injury and what have you.

So in this case, they seem to be bothering Dell because some dumb bitch is a noob. What a fucking waste.

I hate to point out the obvious, but this cunt knows that she didn't want to go to school in the first place and she is just trying to shift the blame on anyone but herself.

Or it could be social darwinism at work.

But, yeah, I'd hit it.

Edited by decoder, 15 January 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#20 handler

handler

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

"She just wanted to enroll in online classes" until that impostor windows operating system was forced onto her by the evil corporation.

Attached Files

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!