- - - - -

Making the switch to linux full time. VMware questions.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

I can't offer any advice on virtual machines, but I can say that if you stick with Linux for a few weeks you'll learn a lot. I started by toying with ubuntu mainly on a server I ssh'd into to get practice using the terminal. After I felt more comfortable using linux, I dove right in and installed bactrack 2 on an old laptop. Sure, I had problems at first, but that's how I figured out the route, dhcpcd and man commands. As long as you have a lifeline to fall back on to fix a problem, you'll be fine.

#22 mirrorshades

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

vmware is your ticket if you want to set up your own little virtual network works very well in both windows and linux

Note that you will need a kind of "beefy" host machine in order to run multiple VMs concurrently and have them do anything worthwhile.

#23 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

I have been using vmware and virtualbox at work, both with windows as the host so its not quite the same thing. I havent had any problems with either yet. They're almost identical except the free version of virtual box doesn't include the option to fool the guest OS into thinking a directory is a USB drive. You can use the extensions allow you to mount a share, but I just use sftp for transferring files most of the time anyway. I did have trouble setting up virtual box a while back on a debian box that didnt have X installed, but I didnt really care and gave up too quickly.

#24 rocky

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hey, I'm new to the forum.

I noticed that you, swerve, are using Ubuntu as your host OS. To easily get VMWare Server running on Ubuntu use this tutorial http://www.howtoforg...-on-ubuntu-8.10 The tutorial advises not to mess around with the rpm rather that you should go straight for the tar.gz archive instead.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!