Photo
- - - - -

Making the switch to linux full time. VMware questions.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

I can't offer any advice on virtual machines, but I can say that if you stick with Linux for a few weeks you'll learn a lot. I started by toying with ubuntu mainly on a server I ssh'd into to get practice using the terminal. After I felt more comfortable using linux, I dove right in and installed bactrack 2 on an old laptop. Sure, I had problems at first, but that's how I figured out the route, dhcpcd and man commands. As long as you have a lifeline to fall back on to fix a problem, you'll be fine.

#22 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

vmware is your ticket if you want to set up your own little virtual network works very well in both windows and linux

Note that you will need a kind of "beefy" host machine in order to run multiple VMs concurrently and have them do anything worthwhile.

#23 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

I have been using vmware and virtualbox at work, both with windows as the host so its not quite the same thing. I havent had any problems with either yet. They're almost identical except the free version of virtual box doesn't include the option to fool the guest OS into thinking a directory is a USB drive. You can use the extensions allow you to mount a share, but I just use sftp for transferring files most of the time anyway. I did have trouble setting up virtual box a while back on a debian box that didnt have X installed, but I didnt really care and gave up too quickly.

#24 rocky

rocky

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hey, I'm new to the forum.

I noticed that you, swerve, are using Ubuntu as your host OS. To easily get VMWare Server running on Ubuntu use this tutorial http://www.howtoforg...-on-ubuntu-8.10 The tutorial advises not to mess around with the rpm rather that you should go straight for the tar.gz archive instead.

Rocky

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!