• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

I recently picked up a computer and processor from craigslist and i'm not sure i can swap the processor that i bought separate from the computer. the computer is a HP Compaq dc5700 Small Form Factor PC with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 641 3.20 GHz 2 MB L2 cache 800 MHz front side bus with HT Technology and the separate processor i bought is a Intel® Core™2 Duo E6550 processor (2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB). Being that the front side bus on both are different, could i put the dual core in this computer? I do understand that i wouldn't be using the full capacity of the processor because the Front side bus wouldn't be as fast as the processor is able to send info.

Is there anyother disadvantages for me to do this as well?

Thanks in advance.

#2 biosphear

biosphear

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

I recently picked up a computer and processor from craigslist and i'm not sure i can swap the processor that i bought separate from the computer. the computer is a HP Compaq dc5700 Small Form Factor PC with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 641 3.20 GHz 2 MB L2 cache 800 MHz front side bus with HT Technology and the separate processor i bought is a Intel® Core™2 Duo E6550 processor (2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB). Being that the front side bus on both are different, could i put the dual core in this computer? I do understand that i wouldn't be using the full capacity of the processor because the Front side bus wouldn't be as fast as the processor is able to send info.

Is there any other disadvantages for me to do this as well?

Thanks in advance.

I do not believe you can put that processor in it.

Your mother board (maid by Asus) will not support a FSB of 1333MHz.

Also even though both slots are 775 your motherboard will not recognize the CPU due to the BIOS.
Even if you update the BIOS, it will still not support the CPU.

If you put your CPU in (I do not recommended it) your computer will just power on, but will not past POST and will show nothing on the screen.

EDIT: I did see this one dc5700 and it did have a 1.8GHz dual core.

Maybe if you put this dual core it it might work E64000.
It is not a sure bet, I need to know the model number off your MoBo and the other dc5700 I saw.

biosphear

Edited by biosphear, 06 December 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

Maybe, maybe not. It's not that the frontside bus is a different speed, it's that the chipset won't recognize or allow you to use the CPU if it's too old. It's possible though, and I don't think you'll hurt anything by trying. You're lucky they're the same socket. Most Pentium 4 machines were socket 478, I think it was just the last generation Prescott Pentium 4's that moved to LGA 775.

These machines are generally a waste of money. Unless space is really a concern, they're just useless. They're hard to upgrade, often use non-standard parts and are more or less "throw away" machines. Of course, as long as they're working and fast enough for your needs, it should be fine. Unless you got it for really cheap, it's probably not worth the headache.

#4 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

sweet thanks guys. looks like this processor will have to wait for another build. I found the computer by a dumpster and took it, so free is cheap enough for me for a computer like this. These types of computer i wouldn't buy due to the lack of expandability and what not.

thanks again.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!