• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

finally got my adapter in the mail, could not get debian running on a cpu but have minicom v 1.83.1 running on dsl via apt, just not sure how to get it to work

I understand you have no idea how to get it to work, but I can't make sense out of your sentence. You can't install Debian ON a CPU, and what do you mean by having minicom running on dsl via apt? Ok, I guess you mean you can't install Debian, and you've installed minicom using apt-get.

This guide should get you started on how to configure minicom.
The guide lacks configuration for the Sun Netra T1, but it should be close enough. The manual from Sun should also give you more details about LOM. You need to connect a regular ethernet cable in your Serial A port (it doesn't look like a serial port, but simply like an ethernet port, and it should say 'A' over it). You need to connect the other end of the ethernet cable in your adapter, and then you connect your adapter to your computer's serial port. If you haven't changed permission on your serial port file (/dev/ttyS0, I assume) you will need to log in as root first, and then try to use it. Start minicom and configure it as shown in the guide I gave you the link. I you have multiple db9 (serial) ports, then it may not be /dev/ttyS0.

After configuration, if you can get a prompt like the one I posted in my previous post, then it has been configured correctly. From there you can try powering on your machine (poweron command) and then booting it (boot command). "help" gives you a list of all available commands.

This should also help you out. What about installing Solaris 10 instead?

#42 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

yeah i have minicom running got with apt-get i had the cable plugged in with the adapter ect, just didnt know what commands/keys to use in minicom to get it to connect, i got windows connected to it with hyperterminal. pprobably installing debian because it would take forever to download the dvd or the 5 cd's when i only download at like 68kbs

#43 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

yeah i have minicom running got with apt-get i had the cable plugged in with the adapter ect, just didnt know what commands/keys to use in minicom to get it to connect, i got windows connected to it with hyperterminal. pprobably installing debian because it would take forever to download the dvd or the 5 cd's when i only download at like 68kbs

For Debian, just download the "netinst" iso. It is a minimal install CD that downloads only the packages you need as you are installing them. This should be fine enough for your low-speed internet connection.

#44 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

For Debian, just download the "netinst" iso. It is a minimal install CD that downloads only the packages you need as you are installing them. This should be fine enough for your low-speed internet connection.

yeah i know damn 100mbps connection :D, got a kernel panic when tried booting debian netinst. as far as i can tell its because the silo 1.4.9 boot loader doesnt allow selection for cd so it tries to boot off the hd which doesnt have all of the files so it panics, i've tried booting 1-8 but it doesnt do anything from 4-8 just restarts and there isnt a device, 2 and 3 says they arent executable, and 1 just panics.

#45 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

yeah i know damn 100mbps connection :D, got a kernel panic when tried booting debian netinst. as far as i can tell its because the silo 1.4.9 boot loader doesnt allow selection for cd so it tries to boot off the hd which doesnt have all of the files so it panics, i've tried booting 1-8 but it doesnt do anything from 4-8 just restarts and there isnt a device, 2 and 3 says they arent executable, and 1 just panics.

1) There is no SILO boot loader, maybe you meant LILO? Debian uses GRUB, not LILO.

2) I need some precision here, which Debian installation are you talking about: the one on the Sun Netra, or are you trying to install Debian on the computer that is connected to your Sun Netra in order to get minicom?

#46 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:39 AM

i suppose it could be lilo, and i am trying to install debian onto my netra im using hyperterminal to access lom on it. im not sure what is loaded on the netra now just that it does not work because there are some missing files i forget exactly which file but i can post a screen shot later. well the bootloader does allow booting from a cd i am just not sure how as i have never seen it before, the options it gave me when typing in "?" or "help" in the boot prompt was that it can boot 1-8 different iso/devs and that you would type in 1-8 for whichever one you wanted if you knew which was which. and it also said if i/the user used lilo.conf you could type in a codename for the dev/iso so i tried all 1-8, cd, livecd, live cd, live, as i figured those would be the most common codenames for booting from the cd drive. the bootloader also said you could type in directly which dev/path you wanted to boot. thats about all i know as of now but i can get exact names/errors later as its too late to start up a rackmount and a desktop thats slightly loader than a rackmount.

yeah its probably an older version of lilo as it doesnt provide any graphical selections to select just a prompt.

edit: it was silo lols http://en.wikipedia....O_(boot_loader) according to wiki* just have to hit tab when i try next time

Edited by dinscurge, 24 March 2009 - 01:43 AM.

#47 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

i suppose it could be lilo, and i am trying to install debian onto my netra im using hyperterminal to access lom on it. im not sure what is loaded on the netra now just that it does not work because there are some missing files i forget exactly which file but i can post a screen shot later. well the bootloader does allow booting from a cd i am just not sure how as i have never seen it before, the options it gave me when typing in "?" or "help" in the boot prompt was that it can boot 1-8 different iso/devs and that you would type in 1-8 for whichever one you wanted if you knew which was which. and it also said if i/the user used lilo.conf you could type in a codename for the dev/iso so i tried all 1-8, cd, livecd, live cd, live, as i figured those would be the most common codenames for booting from the cd drive. the bootloader also said you could type in directly which dev/path you wanted to boot. thats about all i know as of now but i can get exact names/errors later as its too late to start up a rackmount and a desktop thats slightly loader than a rackmount.

yeah its probably an older version of lilo as it doesnt provide any graphical selections to select just a prompt.

edit: it was silo lols http://en.wikipedia....O_(boot_loader) according to wiki* just have to hit tab when i try next time

That's my bad, I really thought SILO was a typo, but yeah, you're right, it is a bootloader for SPARC Linux. Maybe the current Debian installation expects to use a network resource, such as a network drive? If you can get hyperterminal to work then I would not bother much to make the current installation working, I would simply install my own, overwriting the previous one.

#48 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

yeah i was trying to but it didnt boot cd before silo so if i had the cd in it still went to the silo loader but tab will probably show the debain cd

#49 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

have no idea but still not showing/booting the cd. i pressed tab in silo and got;
Attached File  hpymeal2.JPG   95.74KB   5 downloads
which shows 6 partitions, but dont see how to boot from the cd.
but they all boot the same broken linux;
Attached File  kernelpanichappymeal.JPG   115.74KB   5 downloads
finally found the silo website so got to the sun loader which should be able to get it working

Edited by dinscurge, 25 March 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#50 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

"boot" boots the default boot device. Do "boot cdrom" at the LOM prompt in order to boot from the CD-ROM.

#51 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

yeah i hit boot at the sun loader after using halt in silo to get to it. so now pretty much have it working just have to setup telnet/ssh

Edited by dinscurge, 25 March 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#52 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

lols now i got a cpu running sun os http://en.wikipedia..../SparcStation_5 just hope its not the turbo sparc as i would like it to be stable :D. ill post pics when i get it setup with the awesome sun keyboard and 3 button mouse

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!