• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

I havn't recieved my CD yet, even through I ordered it 1 and a half weeks ago. But that may be because shipping to Germany does take long.

I haven't received mine also, I'm in Canada. Don't worry, it will eventually come to your door. It took some time for my 2008.05 CD to arrive, but it arrived.

#22 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm reviving this thread with some news: a new book on OpenSolaris, the "OpenSolaris Bible", is out. I'll check if my library can have it, I want to take a look at it.

I've also just set up Xnest so that it opens a new window that fits perfectly in between my gnome menu bars, the result is quite cool:

Posted Image

That is Solaris 10 for SPARC running on my Sun Fire v100. OpenSolaris looks quite better and is easier to use.

#23 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

I'm reviving this thread with some news: a new book on OpenSolaris, the "OpenSolaris Bible", is out. I'll check if my library can have it, I want to take a look at it.

I've also just set up Xnest so that it opens a new window that fits perfectly in between my gnome menu bars, the result is quite cool:

Posted Image

That is Solaris 10 for SPARC running on my Sun Fire v100. OpenSolaris looks quite better and is easier to use.

lucky when i finally got solaris working on my giant tower by using the scsi/ata raid/ethernet intel card (weird card) it loaded but was super slow for some reason was using like 425mb of ram to display the desktop and apparently was too slow for the internet or something as it showed it was connect to router but kept saying that the dhcp request was lost whenever i tried updating package or using firefox.. cant belive that the gnome clock applet was using like 85 mb of ram which was like 5 mb less than windows xp pro that i have on it now whishh runs at 90.1mb

#24 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Posted Image

lucky when i finally got solaris working on my giant tower by using the scsi/ata raid/ethernet intel card (weird card) it loaded but was super slow for some reason was using like 425mb of ram to display the desktop and apparently was too slow for the internet or something as it showed it was connect to router but kept saying that the dhcp request was lost whenever i tried updating package or using firefox.. cant belive that the gnome clock applet was using like 85 mb of ram which was like 5 mb less than windows xp pro that i have on it now whishh runs at 90.1mb

That's quite weird, I'd say it takes a lot of time to boot and takes a little more than Linux to be smooth, but once started, it is very good.

#25 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

yeah it seemed to be very stable atleast on my computer i mean it didnt panic like anyother distro ive tried and didnt have random errors that make absoultly no sence like when i tried using ubuntu desktop kept saying it couldnt read the disk even though i downloaded iso(s) from multiple mirrors and different versions 7.10 and 8.04. should have tried full text, solaris only supported up to 800,600 instead of 1280,1280 so the bottom of windows were cut off prettymuch all the time. install and boot time wasnt really slow either just the bios but that always took like 5 minutes.

#26 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

ill probably get solaris too work on the sun microsystems netra 1u sparc im getting tomorrow otherwise i will be poed if solaris doesnt work on sun server

Edited by dinscurge, 14 March 2009 - 07:32 PM.

#27 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

ill probably get solaris too work on the sun microsystems netra 1u sparc im getting tomorrow otherwise i will be poed if solaris doesnt work on sun server

The Sun Netra X1 is almost identical to the Sun Fire v100 I have. In fact, I ordered a Sun Netra X1 on eBay but I received a Sun Fire v100 instead, the only difference was that the Sun Fire v100 has a CD drive. To install Solaris 10 on it, you will need to use the serial port (LOM - Lights Out Management). For this, you need an rj45 to db9 adapter.

A good link you might want to check: HOWTO: Installing Debian Linux on a SUN Netra X1/Fire V100
You can follow the same instructions in order to be able to start your Installation, the only difference being you don't put a Linux CD in your CD-ROM drive.

As said in the article, not a lot of CD-ROM drives work with the Sun Netra X1 if you try to open it and connect one, so you might as well try a network installation. Google "Jumpstart Solaris Installation" for that.

Be reassured, Solaris does work on Sun Servers, but not OpenSolaris (not yet, but I've heard the support for SPARC would be limited to processors more recent than the UltraSPARC IIe when OpenSolaris for SPARC will come out).

#28 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

The Sun Netra X1 is almost identical to the Sun Fire v100 I have. In fact, I ordered a Sun Netra X1 on eBay but I received a Sun Fire v100 instead, the only difference was that the Sun Fire v100 has a CD drive. To install Solaris 10 on it, you will need to use the serial port (LOM - Lights Out Management). For this, you need an rj45 to db9 adapter.

A good link you might want to check: HOWTO: Installing Debian Linux on a SUN Netra X1/Fire V100
You can follow the same instructions in order to be able to start your Installation, the only difference being you don't put a Linux CD in your CD-ROM drive.

As said in the article, not a lot of CD-ROM drives work with the Sun Netra X1 if you try to open it and connect one, so you might as well try a network installation. Google "Jumpstart Solaris Installation" for that.

Be reassured, Solaris does work on Sun Servers, but not OpenSolaris (not yet, but I've heard the support for SPARC would be limited to processors more recent than the UltraSPARC IIe when OpenSolaris for SPARC will come out).

its a t1 105 i think, it came with a debian 3.1 r0a "sarge" sparc binary disk, but when tried to telnet the cpu i couldnt find it i scanned like 1000ips i made sure to plug the ethernet cable into the ethernet 0 not the serial rj45. gonna try again with ethernet 1 with disc in the drive.

#29 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

its a t1 105 i think, it came with a debian 3.1 r0a "sarge" sparc binary disk, but when tried to telnet the cpu i couldnt find it i scanned like 1000ips i made sure to plug the ethernet cable into the ethernet 0 not the serial rj45. gonna try again with ethernet 1 with disc in the drive.

Even if you power it on manually with the on/off switch, it won't boot by itself. You need to use the LOM (Lights Out Management) port, the one which says serial (that's where the rj45 to db9 adapter comes in handy). If you're connecting the LOM port to your Linux machine, use minicom. Google for a guide on how to configure minicom correctly for your Sun Netra. Once you have minicom set up correctly, you can send your Sun Netra the "poweron" command, followed by "boot". Typing boot alone will boot the default boot device, but you could tell it to boot something else. Try typing help for more information on the available commands. So yeah, simply trying to power it on with the on/off switch should not let you telnet to it, even if telnet is enabled on the computer, as the os probably doesn't even boot. How do you know telnet is enabled? I would expect maybe ssh to be enabled on an unknown Debian installation, but not Telnet.

Also, you a probably better off just not caring about what is currently installed on it, just download either a more recent version of Debian (Latest is 5.0) or Solaris 10 for SPARC, and install it.

#30 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

Even if you power it on manually with the on/off switch, it won't boot by itself. You need to use the LOM (Lights Out Management) port, the one which says serial (that's where the rj45 to db9 adapter comes in handy). If you're connecting the LOM port to your Linux machine, use minicom. Google for a guide on how to configure minicom correctly for your Sun Netra. Once you have minicom set up correctly, you can send your Sun Netra the "poweron" command, followed by "boot". Typing boot alone will boot the default boot device, but you could tell it to boot something else. Try typing help for more information on the available commands. So yeah, simply trying to power it on with the on/off switch should not let you telnet to it, even if telnet is enabled on the computer, as the os probably doesn't even boot. How do you know telnet is enabled? I would expect maybe ssh to be enabled on an unknown Debian installation, but not Telnet.

i dont know i looked up documents on google and installation guide to netra with solaris said hook it up telnet in and type in boot im guessing that was for the factory pre installed solaris, http://dlc.sun.com/p...806-4707-10.pdf (its like 5mb) now just have to buy a ethernet cable and a serial cable and flip the pins so pin 8 on the rj45 is pin 1 on the serial. then i just have to get another computer to boot debian on or get luckyy and debian will boot on my tower now that im using my intel card for raid, otherwise have to try doing it from virtualbox.

#31 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

i dont know i looked up documents on google and installation guide to netra with solaris said hook it up telnet in and type in boot im guessing that was for the factory pre installed solaris, http://dlc.sun.com/p...806-4707-10.pdf (its like 5mb) now just have to buy a ethernet cable and a serial cable and flip the pins so pin 8 on the rj45 is pin 1 on the serial. then i just have to get another computer to boot debian on or get luckyy and debian will boot on my tower now that im using my intel card for raid, otherwise have to try doing it from virtualbox.

Yeah, Telnet is probably provided by the OS itself. I don't think it can be accessed through Telnet when no OS is currently running. I you can manage to build the adapter by yourself, that's great, in my case I bought mine from prime electronics. The part number is Sun 530-3100. Here is a detailed description of where each pin goes if you want to try making your own: 530-3100.

#32 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

i would build my own but i dont have a female rj45, its not expensive so doesn't matter really, it would be nicer anyways then i can change the cable length lols. i got lucky though i can probably get my money back from the server, because it came with a fiberoptic card in it i could probably sell for like $50 i paid for the server. o wells gonna try debian on my desktop think i have windows oon the d drive..

#33 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

i would build my own but i dont have a female rj45, its not expensive so doesn't matter really, it would be nicer anyways then i can change the cable length lols. i got lucky though i can probably get my money back from the server, because it came with a fiberoptic card in it i could probably sell for like $50 i paid for the server. o wells gonna try debian on my desktop think i have windows oon the d drive..

Installing Debian GNU/Linux is always good, but maybe you can get around that if you can manage to find a bootable distro with minicom on it.

#34 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

Installing Debian GNU/Linux is always good, but maybe you can get around that if you can manage to find a bootable distro with minicom on it.

i tried booting debian with the different scsi raid but it errored like ubuntu did and couldnt mount the cd drive, something with the bios i think, it'll work if i try again but dont know how to set up duel boot really because is never worked. dont get why it didnt work in the firstplace like every distro i tried had aic7xxx which aparently is the driver for both of the scsi raids i have.

think its a problem with the bios, when ever i start the computer it checks the 16mb agp vid card says theres no bios and then it installs the bios. think its the bios because the error doesn't happen every time and all of the hardware is supported.

#35 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:23 AM

i tried booting debian with the different scsi raid but it errored like ubuntu did and couldnt mount the cd drive, something with the bios i think, it'll work if i try again but dont know how to set up duel boot really because is never worked. dont get why it didnt work in the firstplace like every distro i tried had aic7xxx which aparently is the driver for both of the scsi raids i have.

think its a problem with the bios, when ever i start the computer it checks the 16mb agp vid card says theres no bios and then it installs the bios. think its the bios because the error doesn't happen every time and all of the hardware is supported.

If you can post the complete error message, I can try to help you out. Did you try the IRC channel for Debian?

#36 mecca_

mecca_

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, Telnet is probably provided by the OS itself. I don't think it can be accessed through Telnet when no OS is currently running. I you can manage to build the adapter by yourself, that's great, in my case I bought mine from prime electronics. The part number is Sun 530-3100. Here is a detailed description of where each pin goes if you want to try making your own: 530-3100.

Actually telnet is provided by the ALOM (advanced lights out management) not the OS. You can actually telnet\ssh into a Sun box with no OS, and then use ALOM to install a new operating system as it provides a virtual console to the machine. I'm not sure if the particular Netra that dinscurge is talking about has ALOM, but if the documents are saying to telnet in then the documents may be correct.

The problem may just be that the ALOM on your Netra is configured with a static IP that's in some RFC1918 range that you're not using. If the server is a refurbished system and you don't care about any of the data on it, I would just reset the ALOM which should set it as DHCP and let you get into the machine.

#37 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

If you can post the complete error message, I can try to help you out. Did you try the IRC channel for Debian?

not yet, it just hangs when it says its searching hardware for cd drive i've let it just sit before and it wont find it in like half an hour, but it doesnt do it every time, just hope it doesnt do what ubuntu did and format/encrypt everytthing then when restart it says "cannot find operating system" then it tries the cd drive.

i think my netra just has lom i reread the bit about telneting and said i have to have the lom cable plugged in then i can telnet?

#38 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

not yet, it just hangs when it says its searching hardware for cd drive i've let it just sit before and it wont find it in like half an hour, but it doesnt do it every time, just hope it doesnt do what ubuntu did and format/encrypt everytthing then when restart it says "cannot find operating system" then it tries the cd drive.

i think my netra just has lom i reread the bit about telneting and said i have to have the lom cable plugged in then i can telnet?

If you have the LOM port connected to the serial port of your computer, you won't get Telnet, you'll get a LOM prompt. The LOM prompt allows you to send the commands you need to manage your system. Here is a sample LOM prompt, where I typed "help" to get a list of all the possible commands LOM can accept:

Welcome to minicom 2.3

OPTIONS: I18n 
Compiled on Feb 25 2008, 03:47:42.
Port /dev/ttyS1

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

lom>help											 
The following commands are supported:				
alarmon
alarmoff
check
console
environment
faulton
faultoff
help
poweron
poweroff
reset
shutdown																		
show																			
version																		 
set																			 
break																		   
bootmode																		
loghistory																	  
showlogs																		
consolehistory																  
chist																		   
date																			
showdate																		
logout																		  
userpassword																	
useradd																		 
userdel																		 
userperm																		
usershow																		
lom>

#39 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

If you have the LOM port connected to the serial port of your computer, you won't get Telnet, you'll get a LOM prompt. The LOM prompt allows you to send the commands you need to manage your system.

yeah that makes more sense :D

#40 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

finally got my adapter in the mail, could not get debian running on a cpu but have minicom v 1.83.1 running on dsl via apt, just not sure how to get it to work

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!