51 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

OpenSolaris 2008.11

The OpenSolaris 2008.11 OS is a point of integration for the installation, desktop, and package management system projects on OpenSolaris.org.

Today, the OpenSolaris 2008.11 LiveCD is available with the following feature updates:

» ZFS Time Slider and Songbird
» Suspend/Resume and CPU power management
» Distribution Constructor and Prototype Automated Installer
» WebStack with 64-bit MySQL, CherryPy, and DTrace for Ruby
» GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice 3.0, and Firefox 3
» Many F/OSS apps added, including top, sudo and emacs
» 700 additional man pages and Package Manager online help

I just came out today, I was waiting for it :) I'm downloading it at the moment, one of the coolest improvement they've made seems to be the ZFS Time Slider, which is some kind of file recovery. It automatically backups files from directories you want and lets you go back in time to recover lost files / previous versions of files.

I remember some people had trouble installing 2008.05, so maybe 2008.11 will work for you.

#2 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

I've just finished installing it in VirtualBox, here is a screenshot:

Posted Image

I really like the new default theme :)

#3 Kool Henc

Kool Henc

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

Do they give out free CDs again? ^^

No matter if they do, I'm so gonna try it out in xmas holidays

Edited by Kool Henc, 02 December 2008 - 09:48 AM.

#4 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

I think I'm going to download it tonight and try it out on my Phenom. It sounds really interesting, especially the Time Slider feature.

#5 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

Do they give out free CDs again? ^^

No matter if they do, I'm so gonna try it out in xmas holidays

Yeah, they still do:

OpenSolaris Order Form

:)

#6 Kool Henc

Kool Henc

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

Cool, just ordered my CD.

Seriously, I think Sun is a cool company :P

#7 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

The theme reminds me somewhat of the JDS Linux distro.

Now that I've removed my head from my ass, I realize that that screenshot likely is JDS running on Solaris.

#8 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

Posted Image

Beats CDE. I had to use that as the default desktop environment on our Solaris machines at the university.

Edited by Seal, 02 December 2008 - 07:26 PM.

#9 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

I installed it on both my laptop and my desktop. I have an Intel 4965ABGN wireless card in the laptop. It doesn't work right. It can't even connect to an open wireless network. The desktop's network doesn't work at all (both wired and wireless don't work).

#10 Gr4v170N

Gr4v170N

elite

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image

Looks interesting. Aghaster you should give some feedback on it. I think I might install it and have a look around.

#11 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

I installed it on both my laptop and my desktop. I have an Intel 4965ABGN wireless card in the laptop. It doesn't work right. It can't even connect to an open wireless network. The desktop's network doesn't work at all (both wired and wireless don't work).

There is a tool that comes on the live CD to identify your hardware and tell you if a driver is available, I think it should also be installed when you install opensolaris. Run it and see what it says, google for the name of your hardware + solaris and you probably will find something.

If you check the supported wifi devices list you will find that your 4965ABGN is supported by the iwk driver. The problem is probably linked to either the driver not coming with the distro or your card having a slightly different number. I am not sure where the file that associates drivers with devices is, but I think it was in /etc/driver_aliases. Check how the file is made and add your card to the list once you have installed the iwk driver, and it should load the correct driver once you reboot.

This older post of mine will probably help you out.

#12 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

There is a tool that comes on the live CD to identify your hardware and tell you if a driver is available, I think it should also be installed when you install opensolaris. Run it and see what it says, google for the name of your hardware + solaris and you probably will find something.

If you check the supported wifi devices list you will find that your 4965ABGN is supported by the iwk driver. The problem is probably linked to either the driver not coming with the distro or your card having a slightly different number. I am not sure where the file that associates drivers with devices is, but I think it was in /etc/driver_aliases. Check how the file is made and add your card to the list once you have installed the iwk driver, and it should load the correct driver once you reboot.

I did run the tool and everything checked out fine. The right driver for my 4965 card was installed (iwk driver). Everything was supposedly configured correctly but it still wouldn't work. I was really hoping to check out ZFS, but looks like I might have to wait for the next release of OpenSolaris.

#13 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

hmm ill try it, hopefully it doesnt freak out because i have a scsi drive's of my motherboard.. o well stinks they added sudo now they can enter the user password to get superuser status o well. .10 gave missing driver for adaptec AHA-3940u o well time to search for driver

Edited by dinscurge, 04 December 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#14 Gr4v170N

Gr4v170N

elite

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Installed it, looks fine. Didn't really see anything special though. Aghaster, you should tell us why you are so excited about it.

Also...reinstalling. I apparently recorded the root incorrectly :P. Tried get apt-install and got pwn3d by myself. -_-

#15 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

I did run the tool and everything checked out fine. The right driver for my 4965 card was installed (iwk driver). Everything was supposedly configured correctly but it still wouldn't work. I was really hoping to check out ZFS, but looks like I might have to wait for the next release of OpenSolaris.

what does
ifconfig -a
output?

Also try

ifconfig iwk0 plumb

and then
ifconfig iwk0 auto-dhcp

By the way, I've just finished installing Solaris 10 on my new Sun Fire v100 (eh, a real SPARC computer!). This is a rack mountable server, it runs headless. I'm configuring it now, I'll ssh to it from my Linux computer and forward X applications :) I'll eventually post pictures.

#16 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a picture of the inside of my Sun Fire v100. It has quite a lot of space, the major problem is that it is noisy, but I've been told that most/all rack mountable servers are noisy. I'm clueless on how to reduce the noise... it looks like I am not given the option to set the fan speed.

#17 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

I'm going to run it in vmware since neither of my two boxes can run it.

#18 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a picture of the inside of my Sun Fire v100. It has quite a lot of space, the major problem is that it is noisy, but I've been told that most/all rack mountable servers are noisy. I'm clueless on how to reduce the noise... it looks like I am not given the option to set the fan speed.

I have two Sparcstations, and they are also noisy as hell. I believe it's a Sun thing. If it ain't noisy, it's worthless.

By the way, I took a look at Opensolaris and it looks pretty cool. It doesn't look that much different from Opensuse really. I had a problem booting the livecd on one of my laptops, an hp pavilion zt1135. I got an error message saying WARNING: pcplusmp: mod_remove_by_name failed 16. Then it freaks out and asks for the administrators password. Does anyone know the admin's default password? I looked up the mod_remove deal, and it seems this happens after a fresh install every once in a while. I think it's the computer machines problem, because it has difficulty with livecds.

On the other hand, one of my desktop machines didn't have a problem at all. It automatically detected everything, including the shitty wifi-card that I have to fiddle with to get working with other distributions. The only thing it didn't detect right was my video card.

PS: The request free cd service from Sun is excellent. It came in two days.

Edited by isolationx, 11 December 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#19 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

The default root password on the LiveCD is "opensolaris", there is also a default user account "jack" with password "jack".

#20 Kool Henc

Kool Henc

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

I havn't recieved my CD yet, even through I ordered it 1 and a half weeks ago. But that may be because shipping to Germany does take long.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!