• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 obfuscated

obfuscated

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:16 PM

i know this isn't a hacking/phreaking question.....

does anyone know any good resources/tutorials on learing Flash Intros...

#2 Turmoil

Turmoil

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:58 PM

www.flashkit.com

#3 Hotaru

Hotaru

elite

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:21 PM

for me, it's trial and error. Do you have a particular problem? If I can't answer, my best friend is a guru of flash.

Hotaru :neko:

#4 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:51 PM

Just a personal opinion, but I try to resist the urge to make Flash intros. They've become kinda passé. There are even whole websites devoted to them. Lately I've tried to use Flash more seamlessly in the page itself, like part of the navigation or something, instead of making the focus of the page the flash itself.

PF

#5 obfuscated

obfuscated

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:04 PM

i agree with you pixelFiend, but i've never really used flash for web devlopement and i have a friend who insist on it. I figure it can't hurt to learn it ( even if i convince him not to put the Flash Intro on the site).

#6 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

Always a good idea to learn, don't get me wrong. Flash is great. I didn't know whether or not you were aware that people, by and large, are tired of Flash intros. By the way, Turmoil is right, flashkit.com is great.

PF

#7 obfuscated

obfuscated

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:56 AM

yeah.... i'm tired of them myself. I've got use to hitting the "Skip Intro".

#8 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:11 PM

IMHO Flash is a Bad Thing™; it slows down websites, takes more bandwith then a graphic to use, and the same thing can be done in javascript if needed; In some circles its known as the fallback of the unskilled, if I remember correctly.

I suggest you learn a bit about javascript (not java its evil) and look into the 'document' attribute of a web document; some of the things you can do with it are much better then flash imho, and its faster and loades before anything flash will.

#9 obfuscated

obfuscated

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:17 PM

thanx whiteraven...

i convinced him to with javascript, (which i know a good bit about). And yeah, Java is a Bad Thing™

#10 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:31 PM

IMHO Flash is a Bad Thing™; it slows down websites, takes more bandwith then a graphic to use, and the same thing can be done in javascript if needed; In some circles its known as the fallback of the unskilled, if I remember correctly.

I humbly disagree. Flash isn't necessarily a bad thing, just often used badly. The unskilled often add bloated raster files which create huge, unnecessary animations and clog bandwidth. When used in what I'd consider a proper application (and unfortunately I can't remember a single instance right now... sorry) the animation would be a small and seamless part f the overall page and site design. And ActionScript is somewhat similar to Javascript, if I remember correctly.

Some of the older phong.com sites had a decent application of Flash, but the recent ones are pretty damned heavy.

Java is definitely a Bad Thing. :D At least when used in web design.

PF

#11 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:52 PM

"Java is bad"? WTf? java is a revolitionary way to imbed powerful applications in a virtual or web-based setting. nothing else does that. WTF? :blink:

#12 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 03:18 PM

Maybe it's in specific instances, or in poorly written code (my inexperience with Java is showing :blush: ), but I've had my browser crash from Java errors more than anything else I can remember. Especially on the Mac, for some reason, and even more specifically to Internet Explorer. That doesn't surprise me though. :)

Not knocking the language. I try not to do that with things I don't understand well, and Java fits that category. Maybe it's the implementation that's caused the trouble I've run up against. Of course when something works right, as a user, you don't really notice it. It's only when something fscks you up bad enough that you have to reboot and you lose data you've worked on that you remember it so vividly.

Maybe it's all the overused applets (lake and such) that have predisposed people to disliking Java so much. Sorry man, it crashed my computer too often.

Sorry if I'm veering OT, I just like to give my reasoning for my viewpoints so they aren't taken the wrong way. Nothing personal neuro, maybe you write killer code and I only remember stuff written by some ham-handed asshole copying out of a book. So what are everyone elses reasons? I'd like to know.

PF

#13 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:07 AM

<rant flame="no" experience="5years" tone="stern but teaching and fair.">
Java has no need to be on the web unless your writing a RAT or something that needs to be a cross platform system user level app; Its slow, needs too much libs to get to work if you can even do it right, and is about to be unseated as M$ was outright told to take it out of winho as M$ lost a settlment to keep it as a part of winho.. so without winhos user base where it is going to go? to /dev/null so its better to stop using it now instead of later when I have the added task of recoding everything to get rid of it.

JavaScript can do much more in terms of web content then java can; I’m not talking about java used as a app (without need or couse, without purpose or care, usually) but java used as a crappy substitute for time and effort and skill.. I and many others are sick of sites that are designed badly due to not having a purpose or the fucktard coding it wanting to show off because his nuts are smaller then his mothers and he thinks it makes him look skilled in the eyes of his peers.. if your going to code a website plan the thing out and be friendly to the user instead of trying to control them, If your trying to make up for something your user WILL know it…and remember as a webmaster you have a max of 7 seconds for a page to load on a standard dialup connection before the average user will close it and move on to the next site, or start to complain and therefor have a negitive view of the pages contents before they even see it finaly(learned that in collage CS, best rule learned in terms of webmastering) use that time wisely instead of mentally masturbating your time away with crap and code you don’t need or use enough to warrent the resources used.

Use this knowledge well and your sites will load faster, look better, and help you gain the respect of your peers.. or at least your friends.

</rant>

#14 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 02:21 PM

I and many others are sick of sites that are designed badly due to not having a purpose or the fucktard coding it wanting to show off because his nuts are smaller then his mothers and he thinks it makes him look skilled in the eyes of his peers..

We used to call that "designing because I can" :D Tends to make your project look like a ransom note by the end. My boss is the worst offender of this, but I'm not going there.

Personally, and I'm veering OT again, I prefer PHP. It's not as portable as Javascript and I worry about security issues sometimes, but I like the fact that the code is hidden when the page hits the browser.

Thanks for the education White_Raven, I was unaware of the Micro$oft settlement situation.

PF

#15 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:59 PM

The nice thing about PHP is its been designed from the ground up for use in webpages, unlike perl that was addapted to it; Its much harder to expliot it and more secure and powerfull then asp or M$ alternitives; the only thing I hate ebout it is how it handles complexy binary logic.. Takes so much ram its not funny, at least the way I was doing it like I would in C.

The hodgpodg of 'designing because I can' as you called it is the worst thing programmers learn wehn they start out; granated its normal to want to stretch your legs, but thats just too much.. Its something windows users learn the most, comes from not having to think to use your operating system; In the end it breeds incompatibility and closed mindedness to new ideas, and that hurts us all.

As for the SUN thing, I think it was on slashdot, and M$ also lost another court case agaisnt them for the IE browser and how it handles plugins, this means that flash and the rest will not be able to use that interface.. so things may be changing, its best to get a solid foundation and use that instead of useless fluf anyway.

#16 Zeigenfus

Zeigenfus

Sick in the head

• Banned
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:18 AM

The 7 second rule is bullshit, so is the 3 clicks deep rule. As for javascript, it is not bad at all, there are times when you need really powerfull apps in your browser. Like when you are making a faithfull recreation of asteroids in order to provide a way for you and your homies to kill time away from home.

#17 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:20 AM

Yes but in that case the extra stuff is needed as that is the desired use of that page; it makes sence to use it in that case as that is what that page is for; but when its not needed.. it doesnt make sence to have it, thats the idea Im trying to impart.

#18 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 534 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 11:50 AM

I tend to poo-poo Flash intros or spalsh pages of any kind as a rule, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet cuz that's what the client wants. Not only are they unnecessary, but that can hinder a sites chances of being found by search engines.

If it's a site that you want to be found and visited, then the search engines need to be able to catalog it's content. They can;t do that if everything is in graphics or a Flash movie. To the best of my knowledge, the evil Googlebots tend to pass right over things like metatags and go right for the HTML coding to find the keywords that will be used when searching. If your page is built all in Flash or is all graphics, there is nothing for the searchbots to digest, and they'll move on to the next site in search of food.

That's the reason I tend not to design sites that are 100% in Flash. I prefer to use a mixture of Flash and HTML. That way they look and perform pretty and fun, they don't take forever to load, and the searchbots can find them.

Flash in itself is not a bad thing. It all rests on what is done with it and how it is presented. I'm no JavaScript expert but I'm sure, there are things you can do in Flash that you can't do in JavaScript. It comes down to using the right tool for what you want to do.

Flashkit is a GREAT resource, as are the discussion boards on Macromedia website. For ideas and inspriation, try here: http://www.bestflashanimationsite.com/

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!