Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

Jesus enlightens

#142 subversus

subversus

mad 1337

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

Operating systems are only a matter of preference. Windows and Linux both require a lot of tweaking to get to work in any reasonable way, but Linux is probably the most obviously inferior system. Mac OS, which has it's own limitations, provides the greatest amount of convenience and generally better tools than those available in Linux (but not always better than Windows), but is a lot more expensive. It shouldn't matter which system you work on, so long as your work gets done.

#143 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

Both have there ups and downs. When it really comes down to it though basically every OS needs to be configured securely. With default settings on any of wide variety of OS your bound to get owned!

And on second thought, has anybody seen the new Internet Explorer security feature. It's horrible! I just installed Windows Server 2008 on a spare PC of mine and I had a tough time even downloading Firefox. Had to use a external HD to transfer the Setup.exe file. :omfg:

Edited by phasma, 31 December 2008 - 12:13 AM.

#144 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:30 AM

Most users cant understand *nix so they windows or mac is a great option for them.. would you want to teach your grandparents debian o.O

I'd tell them to ask for help in the #debian irc channel.

I would be using linux, but it dosnt run Adobe software well enough so it conflicts with my job. I am a web designer so im a dirty mac user.

I run Photoshop/ImageReady CS2, Illustrator CS, and Flash 8 on Linux (Kubuntu 8.10 "Ibex"), using Wine (v.1.1.9 at the moment). All those apps run fine with no problems except that a few of the app-specific keyboard shortcuts don't work.

Anyway, there's nothing inherently "dirty" about using a Mac. I guess that would depend on what kind of "websites" you're designing with it...

#145 swestres

swestres

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

I don't hate windows, I just don't use it :)

#146 chown

chown

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

I like Windows.

This doesn't mean that I dislike *nix, and it definitely doesn't stop me having 3 *nix boxes. Both doze and nix have their advantages, strong points, and weaknesses.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!