• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

I think that most people hate on MS products because they want to look cool and try to be with the in-crowd.

For those of you who are against MS products: Create a complete operating system. Promote it. Make it better than Windows was, is, and ever will be. Make your OS more successful than Windows. Generate more gross yearly income than MS. Once you do that, I will believe you that Windows sucks. Until then, do us all a favor and shut up.

#22 criticalmass

criticalmass

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

I am in windows right now. I admit I HATE IT A LOT!!!! I cant wait till next month and the new ubuntu comes out and all. I am 100% excited about this. I ran opensuse 10 for a bit but I had some problems with it. Its ok though.

#23 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

I think that most people hate on MS products because they want to look cool and try to be with the in-crowd.

For those of you who are against MS products: Create a complete operating system. Promote it. Make it better than Windows was, is, and ever will be. Make your OS more successful than Windows. Generate more gross yearly income than MS. Once you do that, I will believe you that Windows sucks. Until then, do us all a favor and shut up.

amen

#24 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

I just feel like bashing on windows, completely ignore this if you aren't up for bashing.

#include <bas.h>

I HATE WINDOWS!

Thanks.

If anything, I would say that Vista is the worst of all Windows. Everyone I know that has Vista, has had nothing but problems with it. Windows XP was decent. But Linux is waaaaayyyyy better. I even have my 13 year old brother loving Linux.

typical fanboi behavior, running around promoting something they know nothing of, then bashing something they know even less of. "zomg windows r suk linixez iz r00lz!!" its played out and lame. its nice to see some people stepping up and actually saying good things about windows, i think its long overdue. most of you just say how you hate windows and how much it sucks and how much better linux is but thats where it ends, you never really specify what is soooo much better.
As far as windows running so much slower im curious to see your benchmarks, how much slower is it? ive never had any speed issues with any version of windows, and thats mainly becuase i dont expect the newest os and apps to run on 4-5 year old hardware at breakneck speeds. most of you fanbois never compare apples to apples you basically form opinons based on what seems to be the trend or whats cool. obviously alot of you dont have enough windows know how to finetune your operating system and balance performance and quality. you see these bloated oem versions with all sorts of crapware popups and other bs programs on this fat install, and you immediatly point the finger at windows and say it sucks, its slow blah blah blah, then you compare that to a fresh bare bones install of ubuntu and youre like "WOW ITS LIEK SOO MUCH FASTER ZOMG"

I use windows primarily XP and vista and a little bit of linux mostly in vm, but theres nothing that ive ever wanted to do in linux that i couldnt get done in windows, and most of the time i can do it better and more easliy in windows, and with a fancy dreamscene candy dipped graphical interface to match. i'm a fan of fancy looking GUI's the fancier the better the more 3d effects, animationns and cool looking shit i can look at while im in front of the screen the better.
and in windows i typically dont have to worry about searching for crazy driver patches and half ass working ndis wrappers, and only getting half use out of piece of hardware that i just bought at the store. i plug it in and it just works. from games to multiple monitor setups to hardware compatibilty to fancy looking apps to basically most things that i personally do, windows by far surpasses anything that i am able to do in linux. and as far as security, vista out of the box is actually very secure, its the users that comprimise the securtiy by installing everydamn crap app they can find, so any of you fanbois that are knowledgeable enough to download burn and install some nix distro then configure it to do the things you need it to do should be a smart enough windows user to not get pwned by the latest brittany spears screensaver, so you shouldnt be bitching about how insecure windows is.

#25 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

The only reason Windows has better hardware support is that it has a bigger market share. Easier to use, yes, better ... debatable.

#26 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

The only reason Windows has better hardware support is that it has a bigger market share. Easier to use, yes, better ... debatable.

who gives a shit what the reason is. thats irrelevant, im not going to not use an operating system that has way better hardware support because it got that way by default. see this is exatly my point, fanbois cant even point out a good thing about windows without trying to spin it into something bad. people need to stop being so narrow minded and one tracked. see i never bash windows or linux. why should i. i realize that they both have thier uses for different people, windows does not suck, linux does not suck, for me personnaly its no comparison, windows gets the things done the way i need them done, so my os of choice is windows. another person might have some things that he can only get done in linux, maybe because the price of a windows program is too expensive or becuase older hardware prevents him from using windows for that task, or a number of different reasons, but i would sound like a compete dipshit if i just came out and said "ZOMG LINUX IS SUX" but from my standpoint i could because i have no use for linux. but that dosnt mean it sucks.

#27 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

I used to be a Linux fanboy at their age, too, so I can totally understand where they're coming from--I just prefer Windows as my host OS now.

#28 Lambda3

Lambda3

mad 1337

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

who gives a shit what the reason is. thats irrelevant, im not going to not use an operating system that has way better hardware support because it got that way by default. see this is exatly my point, fanbois cant even point out a good thing about windows without trying to spin it into something bad. people need to stop being so narrow minded and one tracked. see i never bash windows or linux. why should i. i realize that they both have thier uses for different people, windows does not suck, linux does not suck, for me personnaly its no comparison, windows gets the things done the way i need them done, so my os of choice is windows. another person might have some things that he can only get done in linux, maybe because the price of a windows program is too expensive or becuase older hardware prevents him from using windows for that task, or a number of different reasons, but i would sound like a compete dipshit if i just came out and said "ZOMG LINUX IS SUX" but from my standpoint i could because i have no use for linux. but that dosnt mean it sucks.

Amen. I use linux as my main os, but I also have windows installed. You're right that it's pointless to argue what OS is better. No OS is really _better_ than another. It all boils down to the user, and what the user needs to use his or her OS for. Whatever gets the job done. However, installing, setting up, and learning to use linux can teach: persistence, patience, where to go for help, and how to get a job done. For some people who don't have those qualities or that knowledge, linux is a great learning experience.

#29 L33T_j0sH

L33T_j0sH

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

I just feel like bashing on windows, completely ignore this if you aren't up for bashing.

#include <bas.h>

I HATE WINDOWS!

Thanks.

If anything, I would say that Vista is the worst of all Windows. Everyone I know that has Vista, has had nothing but problems with it. Windows XP was decent. But Linux is waaaaayyyyy better. I even have my 13 year old brother loving Linux.

typical fanboi behavior, running around promoting something they know nothing of, then bashing something they know even less of. "zomg windows r suk linixez iz r00lz!!" its played out and lame. its nice to see some people stepping up and actually saying good things about windows, i think its long overdue. most of you just say how you hate windows and how much it sucks and how much better linux is but thats where it ends, you never really specify what is soooo much better.
As far as windows running so much slower im curious to see your benchmarks, how much slower is it? ive never had any speed issues with any version of windows, and thats mainly becuase i dont expect the newest os and apps to run on 4-5 year old hardware at breakneck speeds. most of you fanbois never compare apples to apples you basically form opinons based on what seems to be the trend or whats cool. obviously alot of you dont have enough windows know how to finetune your operating system and balance performance and quality. you see these bloated oem versions with all sorts of crapware popups and other bs programs on this fat install, and you immediatly point the finger at windows and say it sucks, its slow blah blah blah, then you compare that to a fresh bare bones install of ubuntu and youre like "WOW ITS LIEK SOO MUCH FASTER ZOMG"

I use windows primarily XP and vista and a little bit of linux mostly in vm, but theres nothing that ive ever wanted to do in linux that i couldnt get done in windows, and most of the time i can do it better and more easliy in windows, and with a fancy dreamscene candy dipped graphical interface to match. i'm a fan of fancy looking GUI's the fancier the better the more 3d effects, animationns and cool looking shit i can look at while im in front of the screen the better.
and in windows i typically dont have to worry about searching for crazy driver patches and half ass working ndis wrappers, and only getting half use out of piece of hardware that i just bought at the store. i plug it in and it just works. from games to multiple monitor setups to hardware compatibilty to fancy looking apps to basically most things that i personally do, windows by far surpasses anything that i am able to do in linux. and as far as security, vista out of the box is actually very secure, its the users that comprimise the securtiy by installing everydamn crap app they can find, so any of you fanbois that are knowledgeable enough to download burn and install some nix distro then configure it to do the things you need it to do should be a smart enough windows user to not get pwned by the latest brittany spears screensaver, so you shouldnt be bitching about how insecure windows is.

I wasn't trying to sound like a "fanboi". I love Windows for many things. I just prefer Linux for things that I do a lot like learning to program. I try not to sound immature in my posts and I am sorry if I did.

#30 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:44 AM

Agreed, OS bashing is pointless. I was just saying that better 3rd-party support != better operating system. I myself just don't find Windows very interesting or appealing. The only reason I used to use it in the first place was to run mostly open-source, cross-platform apps like Firefox, MPlayer, Pidgin, Apache, etc. And I never liked Windows' administrative tools; the default command prompt is worthless, PowerShell is too bloated and verbose to be used practically, and all of the shiny fancy user interfaces take a bunch of clicks and navigating just to change a single variable value, in some instances. Also due to its closed-source, closed-spec nature, I've felt like with Windows I'm always working some kind of magic: I don't know how something works, or why it works, or what makes it work, I just follow the guide on Microsoft.com, and if I don't like how Microsoft does it or I need more functionality, well, too bad for me.

So it's about preference. If Windows gets the job done for you, fine.

Btw Vector, haven't you ever seen Compiz-Fusion? Far superior to Aero's eye candy, IMHO.

Edited by Spyril, 20 September 2008 - 12:44 AM.

#31 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

Sure, just let me have a deal with computer manufacturers that will make my OS the default OS in any computer they produce and I'm ready to go. Being better than Windows isn't exactly hard in any way, the fact that people got used to your product doesn't qualify it as good.

PS No, I am not engaging in another OS discussion, I just wanted to point out the flaw in the quoted poster's logic. Use whatever you like.

Edited by WhatChout, 20 September 2008 - 03:26 AM.

#32 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:56 AM

Agreed, OS bashing is pointless. I was just saying that better 3rd-party support != better operating system. I myself just don't find Windows very interesting or appealing. The only reason I used to use it in the first place was to run mostly open-source, cross-platform apps like Firefox, MPlayer, Pidgin, Apache, etc. And I never liked Windows' administrative tools; the default command prompt is worthless, PowerShell is too bloated and verbose to be used practically, and all of the shiny fancy user interfaces take a bunch of clicks and navigating just to change a single variable value, in some instances. Also due to its closed-source, closed-spec nature, I've felt like with Windows I'm always working some kind of magic: I don't know how something works, or why it works, or what makes it work, I just follow the guide on Microsoft.com, and if I don't like how Microsoft does it or I need more functionality, well, too bad for me.

So it's about preference. If Windows gets the job done for you, fine.

Btw Vector, haven't you ever seen Compiz-Fusion? Far superior to Aero's eye candy, IMHO.

yeah i have compiz installed on my ubuntu box and yes its alot better than aero, but with object desktop from stardock i can completely freak out the way vista looks from custom themes, skins, windows, backgrounds, animations, icons everything and anything you can think of i can do it, and that basically pwns fusions asscheeks.

#33 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

yeah i have compiz installed on my ubuntu box and yes its alot better than aero, but with object desktop from stardock i can completely freak out the way vista looks from custom themes, skins, windows, backgrounds, animations, icons everything and anything you can think of i can do it, and that basically pwns fusions asscheeks.

In what way?

Themes? System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme ( and a healthy dose of http://www.gnome-look.com/ )
Skins? All panels can be edited by default
Windows? IDK what you're referring to here...
Backgrounds? As in wallpaper...?
Animations? I have no idea why this isn't installed on Ubuntu by default but sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager and you can edit all animations (along with a whole host of other things)
Icons? System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme->Customize->Icons ( and again gnome-look )
Docking? AWN (Avant Window Navigator) is you're best bet.

I looked into stardock, and from what I saw I was rather impressed, but I didn't really see anything necessary that couldn't be supplied by Compiz + AWN

#34 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

In what way?

Themes? System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme ( and a healthy dose of http://www.gnome-look.com/ )
Skins? All panels can be edited by default
Windows? IDK what you're referring to here...
Backgrounds? As in wallpaper...?
Animations? I have no idea why this isn't installed on Ubuntu by default but sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager and you can edit all animations (along with a whole host of other things)
Icons? System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme->Customize->Icons ( and again gnome-look )
Docking? AWN (Avant Window Navigator) is you're best bet.

I looked into stardock, and from what I saw I was rather impressed, but I didn't really see anything necessary that couldn't be supplied by Compiz + AWN

I'm just not sure that you can do everything that my objectdock ultimate can do.
WINDOW BLINDS
A Windows utility that enables users to personalize nearly every aspect of the Windows graphical user interface. Part of Object Desktop.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

IconPackagerEasily change the icons on Microsoft Windows. Change nearly all of your Windows icons at once by applying packages of icons.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

DesktopXEasily design your own desktops or use desktops (themes) created by others to maximize your productivity and computing experience. (Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

DeskScapesBring your Windows Vista Desktop to life. Transform your still wallpaper by adding animation and real-time dynamic content to your desktop.(Supported on Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

SoundPackagerThe auditory sense for the suite of ObjectDesktop. Choose from "sound packages" to enhance your Windows desktop experience.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

MyColorsFull-function computer themes that reflect your personal style. These themes include everything you need to change your entire desktop. (Supported on Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

TweakVistaEasily configure Windows Vista to meet your needs, thereby increasing the performance and productivity of your computer.(Supported on Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

WindowFXA revolutionary program that allows you to add an unprecedented number of special effects to windows.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit)

SkinStudioCreate visual styles for Windows that can be applied with the popular skinning program, WindowBlinds.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

IconDeveloperThis program allows you to import images designed with other programs, and quickly and easily turn them into icons.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

ObjectBarDesign your own Windows desktop bars. Sidebars, finders, docks and more are all possible with ObjectBar.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

IconXEnhance your Windows desktop icons. Give them shadows, make them any size, have them zoom up on mouse-over and much more.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit)

LogonStudioAllows Windows Vista users to edit, change, and apply new logon screens. Comes with a built in visual editor to make it easy to create your own logons.(Supported on Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

Keyboard LaunchpadQuickly and easily assign hot keys to launch programs, visit URLs, paste saved clipboards, control individual programs and more.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit)

RightClickDesign your own right-click desktop menu. Add short-cuts, folders, disc space monitors, RSS readers, and virtually anything you can imagine.(Supported on Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit)

#35 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

Being better than Windows isn't exactly hard in any way

I'd like to see you write a complete, modern OS that is "better" than Windows if it's so easy.

#36 intimidat0r

intimidat0r

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

Also in my mind, if you want one Microsoft product for which there really is no competition, look at Office. OpenOffice kind of blows, AbiWord and Gnumeric are alright but they are not Word and Excel (mostly Excel).

#37 .solo

.solo

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

amen

I have a macbook next to my windows box next to my linux box. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, no doubt. However, while there are many linux fanboys there are just as many "1337 windows h4x0rs" that disrespect linux because they can't figure it out. So honestly, bitching about fanboys is just as fucking annoying as the fanboys.

Edited by .solo, 20 September 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#38 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Also in my mind, if you want one Microsoft product for which there really is no competition, look at Office. OpenOffice kind of blows, AbiWord and Gnumeric are alright but they are not Word and Excel (mostly Excel).

This is going to be changing because of Microsoft's Open Specification promise.

#39 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

amen

I have a macbook next to my windows box next to my linux box. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, no doubt. However, while there are many linux fanboys there are just as many "1337 windows h4x0rs" that disrespect linux because they can't figure it out. So honestly, bitching about fanboys is just as fucking annoying as the fanboys.

I'm not sure if you're just going on a sidenote or trying to refute my statement. I was not complaining about fanboys. I was stating the fact that complaining about something that is better than what you could ever do is useless. I was also making the point that every OS has its purpose. Stating "Windows sucks" and not providing hard evidence is only showing ignorance and stupidity.

#40 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Being better than Windows isn't exactly hard in any way

I'd like to see you write a complete, modern OS that is "better" than Windows if it's so easy.

Why reinvent the wheel? Take a look at servers - *NIXes are in the majority of server OSs because they're better at being server OSs.

Also, your argument is flawed in the way that you assume I have to be a creator of certain type of product to be able to criticize it, which is pure nonsense. Film critics don't make movies, art criticism doesn't require you to draw better than Da Vinci. You're just trying to brush off my opinion.

I was stating the fact that complaining about something that is better than what you could ever do is useless.

If that was the case, then 99% of the population would have to talk like encyclopedias. People have opinions, deal with it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!