• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rakshit

rakshit

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Is there a way to find open T-ftp servers?

#2 kitche

kitche

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

umm all tftp servers are open since they don't have any security

#3 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

umm all tftp servers are open since they don't have any security

I think he meant that he is looking for a way to discover them on the Internet. It uses UDP port 69, so maybe try scanning for that?

#4 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

TFTP is not something generally used over or offered as a public service on the Internet. It's used primarily for network booting some machines and doing firmware updates. You can scan, but it's possible you don't find anything at all.

#5 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Why TFTP? What is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish?
Btw, I've seen several models of home routers with TFTP running as a service. Of course they use ROM for storage so you can't upload anything, but you can usually download stuff. Like I said before, I have no idea what the hell you're trying to do, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

#6 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Why TFTP? What is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish?
Btw, I've seen several models of home routers with TFTP running as a service. Of course they use ROM for storage so you can't upload anything, but you can usually download stuff. Like I said before, I have no idea what the hell you're trying to do, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Most (if not all) use flash. ROM is no longer as cost-effective as it once was and flash is a lot more flexible. TFTP may be used to upload new firmware versions, I've seen a few devices that do it this way. Also, if any home broadband routers have this feature, it's probably not open on the external interface. It may not even be open on the wireless interface, only on the wired ethernet interface. So it's unlikely you'll find any open ports from the Internet side.

#7 ~Total_Blackout~

~Total_Blackout~

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

Please school me.
TFTP and firmware do not sound like they should go together. Since TFTP does not use error checking (from what I remember in high school intro to networking) and firmware + corruption = a big no no... there must be some other form of checking that the firmware update file was received intact. Are you saying that tftp is used to put it on the device then some sort of check (md5 ?) is ran on the device itself and after its sees the file is good it will then finally install it?
Thanks

#8 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

It all depends on the device. The firmware image could have an integrated checksum or require you to upload one with it. However, UDP does have checksums and these updates are usually done on a controlled network or when the device is disconnected from other networks. I don't think there's much danger of an accidental corrupted firmware image because of network problems.

TFTP is designed to use UDP only as well. This means it uses very little RAM and only a minimal implementation of UDP/IP is required (no TCP). So, a device could also have a failsafe firmware that simply boots and waits for a new firmware to be uploaded via TFTP.

#9 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• 951 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

I seem to recall updating the IOS firmware on some Cisco routers/switches, where the TFTP wasn't enabled until you had initiated the update process via the command line. In other words, it wasn't just sitting around waiting for an upload... it got to the point in the process where it said, "TFTP server enabled; upload new firmware now" or the like.

I think most home use stuff (and a lot of commercial stuff too, I guess) tries to be more user friendly with a web-based GUI. In this case, it's much easier to have an upload page with a "Browse" button than to expect Aunt Tillie to know how to use TFTP (or even FTP for that matter).

#10 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:05 PM

Ya, most home devices use the browser GUI. The few that do use TFTP, like the WRT54g only run TFTP as the device is booting (this feature actually saved mine from a future as a brick). Also, most admins will block TFTP at the border (if not just disable it). Looking for a default named config file is an old and worn trick. Not sayin your planning on this just that it has caused things to get locked down.

As for finding open systems running TFTP unicornscan is the most reliable UDP scanner I've come across.

Edited by tekio, 17 September 2008 - 11:08 PM.

#11 n1njastr1k3forc3

n1njastr1k3forc3

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

It should be easy to just brows TFTP servers there is nothing stopping you. If there is it probably isn't a TFTP server. :ninja:

#12 BSDfan

BSDfan

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

It should be easy to just brows TFTP servers there is nothing stopping you. If there is it probably isn't a TFTP server. :ninja:

Your comment adds nothing to this topic.

There is no method of browsing files on a TFTP server, you must know the file name beforehand.. I'm sure he's aware there is nothing preventing him from scanning a range for available TFTP hosts.

My post in 2 words: You suck.

#13 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 376 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

Just for the record, TFTP is heavily used in the VoIP world to provide firmware and configure phones. Yes the security (on the server) sucks, but the boot code on the phones can cryptographically check the download for validity.

Why TFTP? Because it is extremely light weight, and when the power comes back on every phone on your network is going to hit it hard....
Munge.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!