Photo
- - - - -

Which cell phone company do you use?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: What cell phone company do you use?

What cell phone company do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

I've had AT&T for about two years but I'm thinking about switching to Sprint. I know it's a little less coverage, but I'd get more services for far less plus they'll give me a student discount. Besides, ever since AT&T bought out Cingular charges are up and service is down.

What do you have and why? Opinions of any sort?

Edited by xcalibur, 15 September 2008 - 10:36 AM.

#2 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

Ive been with att ever since it was att the first time. my bill hasnt changed since att switched back from cingular, they have however added some new features to the lineup like video calling which i like, a little pricy right now but i still like it, and theyre the only company that dosnt bitch about the unlimited data plan, i use the shit out of it and it really is unlimited ive used gigs and gigs of data tethering it to my laptop and theyver never once sent me a warning letter or charged me for extra data usage, i also like att/cingular because they dont lock out alot of features on their handsets like DUN or bluetooth file transfers, shit like that that ive seen with verizon and sprint, i suppose it dosnt matter because i have an unlocked phone anyways but its still the idea.

as for your case i suppose it dosnt really matter what coverage you get as long as you get coverage where you live and spend most of your time, i dont give a shit about worldwide coverage maps and quadband world phones becuase i rarely leave las vegas, so any carrier i get is going to give me good coverage here in vegas.

#3 w3lshrarebit

w3lshrarebit

Gibson Hacker

• Binrev Financier
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

I'm /kzzp!/ with /hiss/ Rogers. Mainly /garble/ because /hiss/ I'm stuck in an /garble/ awful contract /hiss/ that I took /garble/ through work /call drop/

#4 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

at&t and don't plan on switching as I am happy with my iPhone.

#5 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Virgin mobile.

I don't yap to much on the phone unless I'm near a payphone but latley my mom has been ph33ring when I'm out late and she wants to check up on her little phreaker :)

#6 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

at&t and don't plan on switching as I am happy with my iPhone.

lol@iphone

#7 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

Ive been with att ever since it was att the first time. my bill hasnt changed since att switched back from cingular, they have however added some new features to the lineup like video calling which i like, a little pricy right now but i still like it, and theyre the only company that dosnt bitch about the unlimited data plan, i use the shit out of it and it really is unlimited ive used gigs and gigs of data tethering it to my laptop and theyver never once sent me a warning letter or charged me for extra data usage, i also like att/cingular because they dont lock out alot of features on their handsets like DUN or bluetooth file transfers, shit like that that ive seen with verizon and sprint, i suppose it dosnt matter because i have an unlocked phone anyways but its still the idea.

as for your case i suppose it dosnt really matter what coverage you get as long as you get coverage where you live and spend most of your time, i dont give a shit about worldwide coverage maps and quadband world phones becuase i rarely leave las vegas, so any carrier i get is going to give me good coverage here in vegas.

Is living in Vegas as exciting as they make visiting Vegas look on TV? I need to get the fuck away from the East coast.

As far as data and mms, Sprint has much better prices for the same services (big deal right now as a near-broke college student). Right now I'm paying almost $55 for 450 minutes, 5000 nights and weekends, and 200 texts with AT&T. The plan I might transfer into it 450 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited simple/media messaging plus unlimited data (streaming TV!) for about $60, or 450 minutes and unlimited everything but data for $42 with Sprint. Plus, AT&T is ridiculous with nickel and dimming you to hell. For example, when I first bought my phone I got it with insurance. I took the insurance off a while later but still got charged for full month of insurance PLUS a five dollar change of service charge or something. And that charge shows up every time I change something small, too, like adding text messaging or whatever. Sprint they haven't locked any features like as far as I can tell (I'm in a 30 day trial mode before I switch [which AT&T doesn't do, for the record]).

For the record, AT&T has excellent service. I was never disappointed with anything but value.

#8 Ragnarok30

Ragnarok30

mad 1337

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

I don't use a cellphone.... conformists...

#9 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:23 AM

Verizon. Good deals, no dropped calls and replaces my phone after I go four wheeling and it gets wet LOL.

#10 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

Verizon. Good deals, no dropped calls and replaces my phone after I go four wheeling and it gets wet LOL.

this reminds me. if you ever need to have your handset replaced and you have insurance or youre going through the manufacturer warranty, and your phone isnt working becuase of water damage, the support agent will ask you to locate a small sticker usually located either on the battery or inside the battery bay of your pone. the sticker is usually white color but if its been exposed to extreme moisture or gotten wet it will turn red. the agent will ask you to find it then theyll ask you what color it is, if you tell them its red then they wont cover your phone. the stickers are usually round but depending on the phone they could be rectangular or some other shape. so if they ask always tell them that its white color, by the time they get the phone back it will be too late and youll already have gotten a new one.

#11 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

this reminds me. if you ever need to have your handset replaced and you have insurance or youre going through the manufacturer warranty, and your phone isnt working becuase of water damage, the support agent will ask you to locate a small sticker usually located either on the battery or inside the battery bay of your pone. the sticker is usually white color but if its been exposed to extreme moisture or gotten wet it will turn red. the agent will ask you to find it then theyll ask you what color it is, if you tell them its red then they wont cover your phone. the stickers are usually round but depending on the phone they could be rectangular or some other shape. so if they ask always tell them that its white color, by the time they get the phone back it will be too late and youll already have gotten a new one.

Nice tip. Here's another one: if your phone gets wet and they won't replace it, put it in a Tupperware container with enough rubbing alcohol to submerge it and shake it up. Let it dry and there's a little less than 50% (bullshit experience stat) that it will work again. I guess the alcohol washes the minerals left behind away, and since alcohol evaporates cleanly, you should be good to go. This is obviously a last resort, but it can be useful.

#12 righteous_slave

righteous_slave

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

Tmobile. Evidently the airport near our neighborhood messes up reception, as does being in the basement. Since it is has been consistent at two different houses and several different phones, I'll blame them and their network.

#13 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

sprint, because it was the cheapest at the time i signed up.

#14 Savax

Savax

H4x0r

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

ATT, for all the reasons Vector stated. Unlimited txt and data for $50/mo. I've setup all my servers at work to txt things such as account lockouts, critical services not responding, etc. This convinced my boss to kick down some reimbursement for my bill. That plus Opera Mini makes it worth it. :voteyes:

#15 jabzor

jabzor

hax?

• 1,146 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

Here's another tip for this thread: phone customer retention lines asking about special deals / EPP / other non-advertised bundles, most of which don't even require a contract or for you to be an employee.
Also works for dsl, cable and satellite providers in areas outside an absolute monopoly or districts concerned about turnover.

Telus. Paying next to nothing with one of their employee pricing plans (that I in no way qualify for) plus a few free bundles.

#16 lostbaka

lostbaka

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

verizon

i'm in the market for a data plan for laptop use (fun) and to play with one of those 3G mobile routers. Cheap would be nice, unlimited data would be nicer

#17 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Verizon is the only one that works well where I live, so I don't have to pay for a landline.

#18 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

ATT, for all the reasons Vector stated. Unlimited txt and data for $50/mo.

??? Umm, what plan is that? By my count, there's 40+35=75 before tax, closer to 80/85, and that's only with 450 minutes.

#19 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

ATT, for all the reasons Vector stated. Unlimited txt and data for $50/mo.

??? Umm, what plan is that? By my count, there's 40+35=75 before tax, closer to 80/85, and that's only with 450 minutes.

My plan is sorta setup like this 3 people @ $69+$10+$10 for 1200 anytimes+nights and weekends with rollover, MEdia max 200 which includes unlimited data and 200 text/sms for 19.99, 2x$9.99 video share plus video calling service. and thats about it. my bill usually never goes over 150 bucks with all the bullshit little cell phone company taxes, surcharges, fees, and other bullshit.

#20 Bizurke

Bizurke

Thought Criminal

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

If you take clear nail polish and put it over the white dot when you get the phone then more than likely it will not ever turn red and you will always be able to get a replacement phone.

For my phone company, I don't have a cell phone currently. However I have used Cingular/AT&T, U.S. Cellular, and an affiliate of Tmobile (iwireless - prepaid) in the past. I was the most happy with Cingular/ATT and chose them because of the excellent customer service. Having been on many many customer service calls for people while I was a relay operator I got a pretty good idea of the customer service levels of each company and Cingular/AT&T by far was the best in customer satisfaction

Edited by Bizurke, 17 September 2008 - 04:03 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!