• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BINREV SPYD3R

BINREV SPYD3R

Live to Hack...Hack to Live.

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

Posted ImageOne of our neighbours recently got a new dog, unfortunately however it seems to have an uncontrollable tendency to bark at all hours of the day and night.

Therefore I started looking for possible solutions to this problem. After some brief research purchasing a dog whistle (usually used for dog training) seemed the logical choice, since according to Wikipeida they produce a frequency between 16000 Hz and 22000 Hz (the ultrasonic range from 20000 Hz upwards being outside that audible to the human ear) - perfect since the goal is not to add an annoying whistling sound to an existing dog barking sound.

Posted ImageA dog whistle however is a rather low tech approach, therefore I decided to make an electronic whistle. The first step was purchasing some speakers that can operate in the ultrasonic range. It turns out that general purpose tweeters (Maplin: WF09K) can do 4 kHz to 40000 Hz, I found a set of 4 going cheap on eBay. The problem then becomes generating the ultrasonic sound to power the speakers, I was considering purchasing a cheap second hand car audio amplifier from eBay and using the computer to generate the sound but it seemed like more work than it should be. After checking the Maplin site again I found out they sell an "Ultrasonic Pest Repeller" which produces a frequency adjustable between 12 kHz and 38 kHz.

I was not sure if connecting the Pest Repeller straight to 4 (150Wmax / 75Wrms) tweeters would work however it actually works too well therefore making the next step adding a volume control and perhaps purchasing some hearing protection before trying it out.

Also worth noting that some commercial products seem to use tweeters that look very similar to the ones I chose.

http://www.digitalda...nick84/post=261

#2 bluewraith

bluewraith

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

Depending on the frequency you pump out, you'll notice a considerable drop in the amount of teenagers that hang around your neighborhood too.
You might want to search on "Teen Buzz", "The Mosquito", and "presbycusis".

#3 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

When you get this thing working I want to see a video of that dog's reaction.

#4 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

When you get this thing working I want to see a video of that dog's reaction.

/2nds motion

#5 Outis

Outis

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

Depending on the frequency you pump out, you'll notice a considerable drop in the amount of teenagers that hang around your neighborhood too.
You might want to search on "Teen Buzz", "The Mosquito", and "presbycusis".

I can attest to this. In Atlanta, go out of my way to avoid the Five Points subway stop - the main intersection of the four main train lines. They emit a tone of very high frequency through the PA system at all times. Makes my skull rattle.

Edited by Outis, 08 September 2008 - 06:48 AM.

#6 devsys

devsys

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

nice I have though about doing the exact same thing to silence an annoying neighbor's dog. The only problem for me is my dog would be affected as well

#7 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

I think this "electronic dog whistle" is a great idea for a beginning electronics project, but is this really going to stop the dog barking? I'd expect a loud, high-pitched squeal would be more likely to make the dog bark and howl even more.

#8 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:34 AM

I think this "electronic dog whistle" is a great idea for a beginning electronics project, but is this really going to stop the dog barking? I'd expect a loud, high-pitched squeal would be more likely to make the dog bark and howl even more.

you could get a light caine and temporairily De-Bark the dog by numbing its throat :P

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!