Photo
- - - - -

PSP won't transfer large files in USB Mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mimoman

mimoman

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

I'm only posting this here because:
a.) I thoroughly researched the issue with no luck
b.) I've had a unique opportunity that makes this issue even more confounding

I have a Slim PSP. Latest official firmware. 2 MB Memory Card.
Windows XP SP2. Recently defragmented, chkdsk with no errors.

When I go into USB mode for large file transfers (anywhere from 40 MB and up), my USB connection will hang. The PSP will say "Please wait" and my computer will say "the target cannot be found". The drive for the memory card will still be mounted, but empty. I can quit the USB connection from my PSP and restart it with no problems. But large files just won't go through. Files that are on the PSP always play fine. No corruption problems.

I've tried multiple USB ports on my computer. No luck.
I've done thorough reformats of my memory card. This doesn't help.
Memory Card is definitely legit, it's marketed for the PSP officially and I bought it new at Walmart.

Common sense says "cheap USB cable, get a new one", right? WRONG. I actually got to test the same cable, PSP, memory card on another computer, and it transferred enormous files with no problem.

Even crazier, the other computer I tried this on was the same model as my computer. It's a cheap emachines that runs at around 300 bucks.

So:
-its not the cable
-its not the memory card

What exactly is wrong with my computer that it won't do it? My drivers are all up-to-date. I don't understand why my computer is failing me. I regularly transfer large files to my large USB thumb drives and my mp3 player.

If I had a memory card on my computer this would be a non-issue. My computer is overloaded with enough peripherals as it is.

If you can help me get this working, I dunno... I'll make a cash donation to the non-profit of your choice.

#2 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

I'm only posting this here because:
a.) I thoroughly researched the issue with no luck
b.) I've had a unique opportunity that makes this issue even more confounding

I have a Slim PSP. Latest official firmware. 2 MB Memory Card.
Windows XP SP2. Recently defragmented, chkdsk with no errors.

When I go into USB mode for large file transfers (anywhere from 40 MB and up), my USB connection will hang. The PSP will say "Please wait" and my computer will say "the target cannot be found". The drive for the memory card will still be mounted, but empty. I can quit the USB connection from my PSP and restart it with no problems. But large files just won't go through. Files that are on the PSP always play fine. No corruption problems.

I've tried multiple USB ports on my computer. No luck.
I've done thorough reformats of my memory card. This doesn't help.
Memory Card is definitely legit, it's marketed for the PSP officially and I bought it new at Walmart.

Common sense says "cheap USB cable, get a new one", right? WRONG. I actually got to test the same cable, PSP, memory card on another computer, and it transferred enormous files with no problem.

Even crazier, the other computer I tried this on was the same model as my computer. It's a cheap emachines that runs at around 300 bucks.

So:
-its not the cable
-its not the memory card

What exactly is wrong with my computer that it won't do it? My drivers are all up-to-date. I don't understand why my computer is failing me. I regularly transfer large files to my large USB thumb drives and my mp3 player.

If I had a memory card on my computer this would be a non-issue. My computer is overloaded with enough peripherals as it is.

If you can help me get this working, I dunno... I'll make a cash donation to the non-profit of your choice.

The PSP memorysticks that are new have a FAT partition...Some PCs may have a bit of trouble finding it...

Take the PSP to a homies place, take everything off and put it into a folder thats easy to rememeber, like G.

Format your card for Fat32 and label it PSP

put everything back on and try it in yer PC.

Ph33rz,
IndexPhinger

Edited by IndexPhinger, 06 September 2008 - 10:19 PM.

#3 mimoman

mimoman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

I tried what you said but it didn't work. I first tried it using windows' "Quick Format" option. Large files still quit on me. I then tried it using the normal format option, same problem.

I hadn't thought of that, so thanks for your input! Unfortunately it didn't work.

#4 Reaper

Reaper

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

If you say that the PSP and the USB cable works fine on another computer, then the problem is isolated on your computer. Try a different USB port.

#5 mimoman

mimoman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

If you say that the PSP and the USB cable works fine on another computer, then the problem is isolated on your computer. Try a different USB port.

I tried that already. Front, back, top, bottom.

I think the problem is with windows' Safely Remove Hardware functionality. Recently, I've managed to get completed transfers far more often by safely removing the psp and remounting it, adding one file at a time this way. I use Magellan Explorer to transfer files (so that I can resume partial transfers), and the results are much better and passable than they were before.

#6 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

so you said that you already have alot of peripherals connected to your computer, so im thinking that you might be exceeding the usb controller bandwidth, i would try disconnecting a few of your usb devices, epecially any usb hard drives or web cams, then try the transfer. also you can optimize your psp storage device for performance instead of safe removal mode, you can also try assigning how much of the usb bandwith you want certain devices to use, sorta like giving device A priority over device B. try some or all of those things and see if that helps.

#7 mimoman

mimoman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

so you said that you already have alot of peripherals connected to your computer, so im thinking that you might be exceeding the usb controller bandwidth, i would try disconnecting a few of your usb devices, epecially any usb hard drives or web cams, then try the transfer. also you can optimize your psp storage device for performance instead of safe removal mode, you can also try assigning how much of the usb bandwith you want certain devices to use, sorta like giving device A priority over device B. try some or all of those things and see if that helps.

Great! I'll give all those things a shot. Thanks.

#8 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

The PSP memorysticks that are new have a FAT partition...Some PCs may have a bit of trouble finding it...

Take the PSP to a homies place, take everything off and put it into a folder thats easy to rememeber, like G.

Ph33rz,
IndexPhinger

this could work I also had this issue but i bought a mem stick duo card reader, about 25$ ebay shipped, and made sure to use the program that came with my psp to ensure the right format would be used and... ding, problem solved.

#9 mimoman

mimoman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

Ph33rz,
IndexPhinger

this could work I also had this issue but i bought a mem stick duo card reader, about 25$ ebay shipped, and made sure to use the program that came with my psp to ensure the right format would be used and... ding, problem solved.

I think I'll have to just break down and buy this. Disconnecting my peripherals doesn't help. Using the safe disconnect windows xp feature and a custom explorer that allows me to resume partial transfers is my best bet right now. It times out still, but only every couple hundred megabytes or so.

#10 n1njastr1k3forc3

n1njastr1k3forc3

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

I know its a pain but if you can manage to compress and then decompress the files onto the psp using pspkompresor (dont use the beta version) this seems to work for me. It should work for you. :ninja:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!