• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 willjasen

willjasen

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:41 PM

So just on accident, I discovered this by myself, but searching the web brings up articles that are years old, however, it seems as if the telecoms didn't pay attention.

Easy enough to do - just acquire a target on the Sprint network, caller ID spoof your number to there's and then call their number. Ta-da, you're in their voicemail. An upcoming HPR episode will discuss it.

Anyone have an idea as to why the some telecoms are still relying on the technique of only sending the phone number as authentication to voicemail access?

#2 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

There are a number of others that still do this as well. It's been known for a long time.

#3 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:47 AM

No PIN authentication? Are they stupid?

Boy, am I glad I don't use Sprint.

#4 biosphear

biosphear

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:01 AM

So just on accident, I discovered this by myself, but searching the web brings up articles that are years old, however, it seems as if the telecoms didn't pay attention.

Easy enough to do - just acquire a target on the Sprint network, caller ID spoof your number to there's and then call their number. Ta-da, you're in their voicemail. An upcoming HPR episode will discuss it.

Anyone have an idea as to why the some telecoms are still relying on the technique of only sending the phone number as authentication to voicemail access?

Ah. But what if they have a password (PIN) for their Voice Mail?
I have known this for a vary long time.
Yes on some Sprint accounts you can just Spoof you number as the person that you want to get into the Voice Mail, but most people I know (Maybe they just do this because they know me :D) have a password for their Voice Mail.

Now Just guess their password. It is simple enough.

So you were Right in saying you can get into peoples Voice Mail, but wrong in assuming it is that easy all the time.

Now you are going to get a lot of people asking how they can spoof their numbers.

biosphear

#5 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

"There's this thing called Asterisk..."

#6 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:46 AM

You can do this with nearly every cell company. However, most providers have a feature that you can enable on your account to always require your pin # even while calling from your own phone.

#7 SwartMumba

SwartMumba

mad 1337

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Intersting to know.
I have a sprint account and the first time I accessed my voice mail, it asked me set up a pin.
So you kind of have a pin by default.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!