Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

new HPR episode on Google Chrome's features

#23 notKlaatu

notKlaatu

HPR Minion

• Binrev Financier
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

It wasn't necessarily clear from all the blogs, but the "Chrome" EULA being criticized is indeed the same terms and conditions as the normal EULA for Google Docs, etc.

If the EULA for Chrome has been changed, as of this posting the EULA for Google docs et al. remain same as always:

11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this licence shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

#24 walcy.carroll

walcy.carroll

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

Well,

IF you google foo, er subscribe to podcasts, there have been alot of coverage on the new broswer etc, the EULA has changed.. i gotta get my apple tv back up in working, arraghg.g..g.g.......

there are lots of videos etc out about some of it, i found one on cnet recently talking lil bit about its privacy pitfalls,

http://news.cnet.com...m...s&subj=news
in case anyone is interested. :P

#25 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Chrome uses BSD 2-clause license, I mainly just checked out Chrome to see if it sent information back to google besides the standard beta information which I signed up for.

Read the Google Chrome EULA:

10. License from Google

10.1 Google gives you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the software provided to you by Google as part of the Services as provided to you by Google (referred to as the “Software” below). This license is for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services as provided by Google, in the manner permitted by the Terms.

10.2 You may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google, in writing.

10.3 Unless Google has given you specific written permission to do so, you may not assign (or grant a sub-license of) your rights to use the Software, grant a security interest in or over your rights to use the Software, or otherwise transfer any part of your rights to use the Software.

That ain't no BSD 2-clause.

This is the BSD 2-clause license:

Copyright 1994-2008 The FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Quite different, isn't it?

Edited by Colonel Panic, 04 September 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#26 King Tiger

King Tiger

mad 1337

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

Wouldn't touch it with a 30 foot pole. I'm paranoid. I don't use google.

#27 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:12 PM

I tried it out. Opened a youtube video. Whole thing crashed (not just the tab, like they said). Wasn't impressed, but wasn't unimpressed enough to get rid of it, either.

Have to say, the AdblockPlus extension for Firefox is more or less the killer app in my book. As long as there is nothing else available for any other browser, I will very likely stay with Firefox. Every so often when I use a computer without FF/ABP, I am shocked and appalled at what an ugly, blinking, flashy, stupid place the Internet has become.

#28 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

Type crash:% into the omnibox.

#29 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:53 AM

Have to say, the AdblockPlus extension for Firefox is more or less the killer app in my book

I just made that argument to someone I work with.

#30 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

Have to say, the AdblockPlus extension for Firefox is more or less the killer app in my book

I just made that argument to someone I work with.

Wow...I did the exact same thing yesterday with some coworkers. Great minds think alike!

I put chrome on a virtual machine just to have it to test/play. I would never use it as my browser. Google will never have ad-blocking as an option..at least not their own ads. They might allow blocking of other companies ads, but not their own.

#31 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

I have to say that while I'm extremely ambivalent about Google as a company, I draw the line at giving them open access to my own personal business in the form of desktop applications.

Google's ultimate goal of "The Internet is the OS" is a big load of CRAP in my opinion.

#32 kitche

kitche

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Chrome uses BSD 2-clause license, I mainly just checked out Chrome to see if it sent information back to google besides the standard beta information which I signed up for.

Read the Google Chrome EULA:

10. License from Google

10.1 Google gives you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the software provided to you by Google as part of the Services as provided to you by Google (referred to as the “Software” below). This license is for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services as provided by Google, in the manner permitted by the Terms.

10.2 You may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google, in writing.

10.3 Unless Google has given you specific written permission to do so, you may not assign (or grant a sub-license of) your rights to use the Software, grant a security interest in or over your rights to use the Software, or otherwise transfer any part of your rights to use the Software.

That ain't no BSD 2-clause.

This is the BSD 2-clause license:

Copyright 1994-2008 The FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Quite different, isn't it?

umm if you look at Chromium it's a 2-clause BSD style license and the Google EULA that you posted is for the binary not the source code so have a good day and learn products better

#33 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

Then what is the definition of "open source" software?

http://en.wikipedia....urce_Definition

Then Google Chrome is a derivative product of an open source project, but the browser itself is not an open source application according to the above linked definition.

Edited by Colonel Panic, 05 September 2008 - 09:57 PM.

#34 thenotwist

thenotwist

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

The Department for IT Security in Germany has warned users to use use Google Chrome due to privacy invasions. It was even on the radio today.

http://www.spiegel.d...,576664,00.html

I couldn't find an English source, sorry for that.

#35 Ragnarok30

Ragnarok30

mad 1337

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Google Chrome is amazing. I'm really in love with it already. Aside from the icognito novelty the most important feature to it is the sandboxing.

Sandboxing in google chrome provides so much more security than firefox and ie. I really like the clean look to it also.

#36 carwash

carwash

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

Fuck that google Chrome!

Posted Image

#37 tao_of_pi

tao_of_pi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Fuck that google Chrome!

Posted Image

Yay, A fellow Opera user. :wub:

#38 ZioMatrix

ZioMatrix

elite

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

Maybe someone already brought this up but i was too lazy to check. But arent you a little worried about the "google being snitches" accusations? I mean i am a little bit.

#39 .solo

.solo

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

Maybe someone already brought this up but i was too lazy to check. But arent you a little worried about the "google being snitches" accusations? I mean i am a little bit.

I agree, despite google's "do no evil" philosophy, i promote decentralization and mistrust of authority. Power corrupts, period. google is a juggernaut, no doubt, and the internet has become overly dependent on it.

http://valleywag.com...ood-youre-fired

#40 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:02 AM

I agree, despite google's "do no evil" philosophy, i promote decentralization and mistrust of authority. Power corrupts, period. google is a juggernaut, no doubt, and the internet has become overly dependent on it.

http://valleywag.com...ood-youre-fired

I hear you. I'm actually pretty pissed at google for this.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!