Photo
- - - - -

Connect to internet via your house phone?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

Vector,

I was able to tether my phone to my laptop and create a Bluetooth DUN, but the free dialup number I found online was crap. You have any free dial numbers you can recommend?

#22 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

I think he's talking about an acoustic coupler.

http://wrybread.com/...ets/coupler.htm

Check eBay. You can buy them new, but people love to rape you for them. You might want to consider building your own -- it's just a mic, earpiece, transformer, and a battery.

#23 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

Vector,

I was able to tether my phone to my laptop and create a Bluetooth DUN, but the free dialup number I found online was crap. You have any free dial numbers you can recommend?

ok when you use your cell as a with DUN it dosnt work like regular dial up. your carrier will have specific userid and password info for example with cingular the dial up number is *99***1# and the user id is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and the password is CINGULAR1. so this works with other devices too so if i want to tether a bluetooth PDA to my cell phone and go online i use that same info and create a new connection on the pda. so in windows you'll just create a new dial up connection and enter the info specific to yuor carrier. but dont forget to pair your phone with your computer and make sure it installs your phone and all the related bluetooth services it uses. after that you can select the bluetooth dial up modem in the settings of the dial up connection you created in windows, enter the number and login infos and if all goes well you should get a connection.

#24 invision620

invision620

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

I think what your talking about is...
Sometimes if you dial a phone number you'll hear a carrier on the other end.
99% of the time they are shown dialing into that number. I believe its something to do with VPN's.

#25 Bizurke

Bizurke

Thought Criminal

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

I used to do just like vector with AT&T and a V3i Razr on Cingular/AT&T 3G and I got decent enough speeds. I had the unlimited data plan and all of that stuff but if you read the fine print that is not covered. One month I didn't pay extra at all. The next month I had a $489 data bill. Make sure using it to connect a computer to the internet is part fo the plan you are using or you will pay by the kilobit or megabit for the transfer which can get incredibly expensive. 

As far as free ISPs I'm quite sure there are still some other there. Not as easily available as it was with the NetZero and BlueLight days but I'm sure there are ad supported dial up ISPs out there if you look around. Or if all else fails you can use a free AOL trial *cringe*. 

#26 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:45 AM

I don't think this is what you were referring to earlier but I bet it is possible to achieve wireless dial up from a cordless phone, I'm going to do some searching in the morning.

#27 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

If your looking for an acoustic coupler, I found this.

Awesome acoustic coupler on ebay.

#28 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 591 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

A cell phone isn't necessarily a house phone. The OP was asking for free internet which we'd assume he'd know what a modem is from watching WarGames, Sneakers, The Net or just about any other feeble attempt at turning our lives into 90 minute thrill rides for the people en-mass.

So assuming he has a modem (just about every modern laptop has one... and pci modems you can't even give away... if not, check out goodwill/thrift stores). And assuming he has a dial tone (his own line or his neighbors... we won't delve into this too much), all he really needs is an ISP or a dialup with shell.

And for that... there are still alot of. Libraries still sometimes have shell accounts you can access via modem, National providers like AOL and NetZero give away X amount of minutes every month and depending on where you live *or* who pays your long distance bill, here in Washington State we have NoCharge.com which is a free ISP. Camp all you want, enjoy the 33.6-56k goodness.

But with wifi being everywhere, you might as well buy a can of pringles and check out wigle.net to find the nearest open wifi you can use.

Assuming you are hard core tho, here's one for the bitchez....

Posted Image

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!