Photo
- - - - -

Connect to internet via your house phone?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Is there any way to connect to internet on my pc via a standard house-held phone? For free...?

Just joined here and its a nice site (NO INTRODUCTIONS SECTION THOUGH!)

#2 Forerunner

Forerunner

H4x0r

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

I don't think I understand the question. Are you wanting to use the house phone as a modem? Or are you just wanting free dial up internet?

#3 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

I don't think I understand the question. Are you wanting to use the house phone as a modem? Or are you just wanting free dial up internet?

Free dialup internet as i don't think it would work as a modem. Would it?

#4 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Do you mean using the phone cables to approximate a LAN connection? (I assume you are already aware of dial-up ISPs... though they are a dying breed.)

Also, you can check out the "Welcome New People" thread in the NubieHQ forum if you would like to introduce yourself there: http://www.binrev.co...php?showforum=4

#5 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

Do you mean using the phone cables to approximate a LAN connection? (I assume you are already aware of dial-up ISPs... though they are a dying breed.)

Also, you can check out the "Welcome New People" thread in the NubieHQ forum if you would like to introduce yourself there: http://www.binrev.co...php?showforum=4

Don't take the piss but I saw this method in several movies which is why I am asking xD
Ok what they did was connect the laptop to a payphone and connect via the phone, I wanna know if its really possible lol (without ISP)...

#6 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

Don't take the piss but I saw this method in several movies which is why I am asking xD
Ok what they did was connect the laptop to a payphone and connect via the phone, I wanna know if its really possible lol (without ISP)...

Without an ISP? No... you still need somewhere to dial. The phone system is still a point-to-point system, it is not a vast network like the Internet.

Also, that kind of technology is 20+ years old. You can get an air-card for a laptop now that will let you use your laptop on your mobile phone's Internet/data connection. Same basic idea, but much faster and more reliable than an acoustic coupler or 1200 baud modem.

#7 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

Without an ISP? No... you still need somewhere to dial. The phone system is still a point-to-point system, it is not a vast network like the Internet.

Also, that kind of technology is 20+ years old. You can get an air-card for a laptop now that will let you use your laptop on your mobile phone's Internet/data connection. Same basic idea, but much faster and more reliable than an acoustic coupler or 1200 baud modem.

kk thanks for the info (looking up air-cards now) :)

#8 Forerunner

Forerunner

H4x0r

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Free dialup internet as i don't think it would work as a modem. Would it?

Not to my knowledge...but people do a lot of things that I don't think are possible :P

Some modern day pay phones (I've only seen these in airports) do have support for internet access.

#9 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

Some modern day pay phones (I've only seen these in airports) do have support for internet access.

Very nice! Will have to check em out :D

#10 Forerunner

Forerunner

H4x0r

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

You can get an air-card for a laptop now that will let you use your laptop on your mobile phone's Internet/data connection.

You can also do the same basic thing using a bluetooth connection to your phone.

#11 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:26 AM

You can get an air-card for a laptop now that will let you use your laptop on your mobile phone's Internet/data connection.

You can also do the same basic thing using a bluetooth connection to your phone.

yes i dont know why people pay for laptop cell cards and expensive laptop connect data plans when they could just tether their phone via bluetooth or usb and get the exact same effect. i have an unlimited data plan through at&t for 19.99 a month and i just tether up my phone to my lappy when im on the go for mobile toobs. works like a charm.

#12 Forerunner

Forerunner

H4x0r

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

The expensive laptop connect card data plans are probably a little bit faster...I guess you just pay for what you get ;)

#13 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:29 AM

The expensive laptop connect card data plans are probably a little bit faster...I guess you just pay for what you get ;)

no actually all the throughput rates are the same. the only time you will see a difference is if youre using a phone thats not 3g. so if i tether my 3g phone to my laptop im going to get the same rates as the laptop connect card, but if i take my sim card out and use it in my wifes phone for i wont get the fast 3g data rates because her phone is not 3g compatible. now of course youre not supposed to do this and if they find out theyll cancell your data package, but ive never had a problem and ive used it quite a bit.

#14 df99

df99

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:50 AM

AT&T wireless has three unlimited data plans (last time I checked). If you have a phone with just a WAP browser, they let you get the cheapest 19.99 plan. You are not supposed to tether with the cheaper plans. However, if you set up the laptop correctly, it works just fine. The configuration is a bit tricky. If you get it wrong, you can end up with a whopping bill!

AT&T can theoretically tell if the data download exceeds what you would do with a WAP browser on the phone. In practice, they have been ignoring this loophole.

It is true that they allow connecting at whatever speed your equipment allows for the same unlimited rate.

Edited by df99, 10 August 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#15 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

no actually all the throughput rates are the same. the only time you will see a difference is if youre using a phone thats not 3g. so if i tether my 3g phone to my laptop im going to get the same rates as the laptop connect card, but if i take my sim card out and use it in my wifes phone for i wont get the fast 3g data rates because her phone is not 3g compatible. now of course youre not supposed to do this and if they find out theyll cancell your data package, but ive never had a problem and ive used it quite a bit.

So with an LG I can connect? Or just for iPhone 3g? I don't understand the whole 3g thing ima look it up :P

EDIT:

3G networks are wide area cellular telephone networks which evolved to incorporate high-speed internet access and video telephony. IEEE 802.11 networks are short range, high-bandwidth networks primarily developed for data.

Ok so 3G networks have high-speed internet? But can I do this on a lower speed internet?

Edited by Greeny, 10 August 2008 - 10:17 AM.

#16 Forerunner

Forerunner

H4x0r

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, The iPhone isn't the only 3G capable phone. It's just what most people think about when they hear 3G

edit: Hah, You posted right as I did.
Yes, you can still do the same thing without a 3G network, but it's ungodly slow.

Edited by Forerunner, 10 August 2008 - 10:19 AM.

#17 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, The iPhone isn't the only 3G capable phone. It's just what most people think about when they hear 3G

Yes, you can still do the same thing without a 3G network, but it's ungodly slow.

Ok well i searched ebay "3g phone" and all i got where iPhone -.-'

I think I'll start saving my monehs for a 3g cos this would really help when on teh road :D

EDIT: And how much credit does it take every second lol?

Edited by Greeny, 10 August 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#18 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

Ok well i searched ebay "3g phone" and all i got where iPhone -.-'

I think I'll start saving my monehs for a 3g cos this would really help when on teh road :D

EDIT: And how much credit does it take every second lol?

ok so theres a couple of things you need to check first. number one check your wireless carriers data plans, see if its worth it to pay every month for unlimited data package. if youre not going to use it that often it might not be, but keep in mind that you can use your data plan right from your phone if you want to check emails or browse the web from your phone then you wont pay extra data charges if you have the unlimited package. then you will need a phone that supports DUN dial up networking either via usb or bluetooth. you dont "need" a 3g phone to use this feature and you may not even have 3g availablity in your area anyways. and check your carrier also, i know that certain wireless carriers have a history of locking out these features from their phones so that customers are forced to buy the more expensive laptop connect cards and pay 60+ dollars a month for the same exact service. verizon and sprint have both done this.

#19 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

I second the 'read the fine print' on the wireless plans.. A friend of mine got a $28,200 bill a couple of months ago.

#20 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Ok well thanks for all the help mates :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!