Photo
- - - - -

IP geolocation database

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eno_gib

eno_gib

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hi,

im trieng to make a geolocation tool for my website so that, I can assign the proper language.
I know there are alot of WHOIS sites that offer a free lookup capability, but I want my site to be able to lookup a users IP's country of origin, independently of other websites that may be down or may even be monitoring my requests.
This is done by comparing the users IP to one's own database of IP-origins.
My problem is I cannot find an accurate database. Every database i've tried has not been even remotly capable to accurately determine the country of origin.
Can anyone tell me where I might find an accurate database?

Thanks a bunch
eno_gib

#2 oblivion

oblivion

I have the Phreak Phactor

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

im not entirely sure but have u tried http://www.iana.org/

#3 Corleone

Corleone

elite

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

This is pretty acurate iplocation

c

#4 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

Never seen a copy of this database, but I guess your other option is to source the data it all from the public site(s) like the links above.

I like the idea, making a secure copy of it all, mix them up. I would try gain the records from a few sources, and mix them up or count matches, integrate other interesting bit of info.

#5 bcrscahh198987

bcrscahh198987

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

This one is for sure.

dnsstuff.com

It originally started as some guy's hobby site, then it turned commercial. It's the only site I know to be really good at DNS.

#6 tokachu

tokachu

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 458 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

HostIP.info is probably what you are looking for. But their database is huge and is probably overkill for your purpose. MaxMind — there’s a link on the HostIP site — gives away a free country database.

Alternatively, you can detect the language and host country based on what user agent the Web browser sends. The user agent usually contains the two-letter country ID and two-letter language ID (en-US is English in the United States, for example).

#7 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

This one is for sure.

dnsstuff.com

It originally started as some guy's hobby site, then it turned commercial. It's the only site I know to be really good at DNS.

dnsstuff.com pissed they went paied like THE DAY I finished my automated script .... bastards ...

#8 Greeny

Greeny

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

like this one?
http://www.ip-adress...resstolocation/

#9 eno_gib

eno_gib

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Thank's for all the replies guys, I'm testing the database's now, though for most of my intent's, the browser-language is enough.
Thank's for the tipp.

eno_gib

#10 bcrscahh198987

bcrscahh198987

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:46 AM

This one is for sure.

dnsstuff.com

dnsstuff.com pissed they went paied like THE DAY I finished my automated script .... bastards ...

You would have gotten baned if you used the script.

EDIT: "Remember, you are not allowed to use automated programs to access our tools, unless you have a purchased a DNSstuff automated usage plan." , huh. It's all about money now. I guess you right about them going the way of payday.

Edited by bcrscahh198987, 14 August 2008 - 01:49 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!