• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snapple

snapple

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

My system crashed. I get the error saying Insert CD-Rom or something. Anyone have suggestions on how to recover all the files or what method. Please don't suggestion sending the HD to a company. So if you can post methods would be appreciated.

#2 Little Deviant

Little Deviant

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

Is there any way you can give us a more thorough description of the error message?
Eg. At what point is this message displayed? After passing BIOS and going into your OS or before? What is the exact text in the message?
If not, I'd just suggest either:
1. Put in a LiveCD of some kind and transfer all the files to an external drive/location or
2. Take out the drive, put it in an external case (pretty cheap on ebay) and use another system to save your files

#3 snapple

snapple

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

Is there any way you can give us a more thorough description of the error message?
Eg. At what point is this message displayed? After passing BIOS and going into your OS or before? What is the exact text in the message?
If not, I'd just suggest either:
1. Put in a LiveCD of some kind and transfer all the files to an external drive/location or
2. Take out the drive, put it in an external case (pretty cheap on ebay) and use another system to save your files

Thanks for trying but I knew that. Sorry for not being descriptive. I just get a screen saying the manufactures logo and then 2 minutes later it says insert a drive or cd-rom. It has a lot of important info. What LiveCd do you recommend. I remember I used one a while back with the word Commander in it.

#4 teabag

teabag

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

the manufacturer's logo is just the splash for the BIOS. you should be able to hit either del, esc, or one of the F keys as soon as you turn it on and the first splash screen comes up to access the BIOS so you can change boot order if needed. i've always used knoppix for live cds. http://www.knopper.n...x/index-en.html

#5 Little Deviant

Little Deviant

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

the manufacturer's logo is just the splash for the BIOS. you should be able to hit either del, esc, or one of the F keys as soon as you turn it on and the first splash screen comes up to access the BIOS so you can change boot order if needed. i've always used knoppix for live cds. http://www.knopper.n...x/index-en.html

+1 for knoppix, always works for me. And yeah, as long as you have some sort of extra drive somewhere, you should be good.
But to be honest, that message usually only comes up where these is no operating system detected on the drive, meaning that A. your drive is totally wiped or B. the OS is so corrupt that it wont even boot into the start-up splash screen. Although, without knowing your BIOS version and manufacturer, I can't be sure of that. So, as always, correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: And, after doing a maybe 30 second lookup for that "commander" liveCD you mentioned (I wasent very thorough, sorry but I am really busy, got to get this website coded by tomorrow, but I digress) The only thing I found that had any mention of commander was Midnight Commander, which is a text based file manager for Linux and is/was included on some liveCDs, but as far as I know is not a stand-alone CD. Although if you used a liveCD as long ago as you say, it may have been. I haven't looked into the history much. Again, I googled for like half a minute, so there could be more there. Let me know though.

-cold_fire

Edited by cold_fire, 06 August 2008 - 11:06 PM.

#6 snapple

snapple

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

+1 for knoppix, always works for me. And yeah, as long as you have some sort of extra drive somewhere, you should be good.
But to be honest, that message usually only comes up where these is no operating system detected on the drive, meaning that A. your drive is totally wiped or B. the OS is so corrupt that it wont even boot into the start-up splash screen. Although, without knowing your BIOS version and manufacturer, I can't be sure of that. So, as always, correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: And, after doing a maybe 30 second lookup for that "commander" liveCD you mentioned (I wasent very thorough, sorry but I am really busy, got to get this website coded by tomorrow, but I digress) The only thing I found that had any mention of commander was Midnight Commander, which is a text based file manager for Linux and is/was included on some liveCDs, but as far as I know is not a stand-alone CD. Although if you used a liveCD as long ago as you say, it may have been. I haven't looked into the history much. Again, I googled for like half a minute, so there could be more there. Let me know though.

-cold_fire

I found it from a friend. It was called ERD Commander. I am just going to try and backup the files for now.

#7 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

dd_rhelp FTW

http://hackerpublicr...eps.php?id=0011

ERD is for NOOBS ... www.ubcd4win.com or BT3

Edited by operat0r, 07 August 2008 - 08:16 AM.

#8 Little Deviant

Little Deviant

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

Oh its a Windows-style LiveCD, no wonder I didn't see it. Well yeah, definitely back everything up before you go messing with the OS trying to fix it, if you makes a mistake your essentially screwed. Just repeating the obvious :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!