3 replies to this topic

#1 DJ2live

DJ2live

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hi,

I am new here and am keen to find out any weaknesses in relation to either a Samsung OfficeServ 7200 or the small version the 7100.

I am administering these systems and would like to view the security based on the voicemail system being able to be accessed from external sources.

I have trawled the web and have found useful information but nothing pertaining to the Samsung systems directly.

This board seems to have some very knowledgeable people contributing and I would welcome any advice on the best way to secure these types of system.

Cheers for reading this. DJ.

#2 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

First of all, make sure that no one has physical access to the hardware except for authorized personnel and make sure that access is controlled by a locked door.

Second, make sure that read the installation instructions and change ALL default passwords.

Third, keep the software up to date.

Finally, educate everyone who works at your office about the importance of voicemail passwords. If someone keeps a master list of voicemail passwords at the office make sure that the list remains under lock and key.

I am administering these systems and would like to view the security based on the voicemail system being able to be accessed from external sources.

I can't answer that because I don't know very much about this system. It may require you to do some penetration testing and discovery techniques to discover vulnerabilities. Good luck.

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

It'd probably be best to disallow any dial-out capabilities the equipment might have, too. Some might say that it's secure regardless, because your Centrex/PBX requires an x-digit code to dial out. To put it one way, I wouldn't listen to them. People *will* find these things out through trial and error.

On another note, why do people even allow this in the first place? I mean, if you're checking your voicemail messages, you're probably right next to your PBX phone, and shouldn't have any trouble dialing out normally.

#4 DJ2live

DJ2live

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

OK just an update.

We are still able to access our voicemail boxes from outside of the building, but I have barred all ways (that I know of), of being able to get access to an outside line so as to call out. No further problems at the moment, so fingers crossed.

Cheers to all that helped.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!