• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kr1sty

kr1sty

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to linux, and I'm looking for a simple browser that can be easily installed on centos 5.

Firefox keeps crashing when I go to SSL sites, and Lynx is a text browser which makes it hard to visit some sites.

Thanks

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:17 PM

Opera is nice, but... seriously, I might take the time to figure out what's wrong with Firefox. It's often the best option on Linux (or any platform for that matter). And no, I'm not even a Firefox fanboy, I like Opera much better but practicality dictates I use Firefox for just about everything. Give Opera a try, but it doesn't work on all sites (especially javascript-heavy sites).

Centos might not be the best choice for a desktop. You might want to switch to something that's better maintained with desktop users in mind. Popularity is a good thing (that's not to say Centos is unpopular) when it comes to Linux distros. I means more bug reports and more package maintainers to fix problems like the one you're having now. If you dare leave the mainstream, expect to diagnose and fix problems yourself.

#3 kr1sty

kr1sty

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

Thanks, I agree with you. I've listed my firefox problem on a few forums, asked some experts, but no answers. I've even asked here (http://www.binrev.co...showtopic=38419). So my next logical step is find another browser. I'm currently trying to install Opera. I need to download the Fedora RPM package to install on Centos right?

#4 kr1sty

kr1sty

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

Which linux platform would you recommend for a desktop environment? Which linux platform would you recommend for a web environment?

#5 CycloneTH

CycloneTH

Phisher

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

Which linux platform would you recommend for a desktop environment? Which linux platform would you recommend for a web environment?

For any day-to-day activities, Ubuntu is a solid recommendation. I have CentOS set up on a few of the servers at work, but that's all it's used for. I had a linux desktop with Fedora installed that worked very well as a work machine until I got my Windows box. As much as I loved using linux it just wasn't something that was friendly with my work environment.

#6 Adamantine

Adamantine

H4x0r

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

Not to sound like another fanboy, but Ubuntu really is a good place to start with linux. OpenSuSE is also a good starter OS, I personally have nothing against it, I simply use ubuntu because I'm used to it. It has an easy install, and a good set of repositories(looked up the medibuntu repository for codecs). If you think running your own server may be of future interest then I'd say give a look into Fedora.

#7 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

Not to sound like another fanboy, but Ubuntu really is a good place to start with linux. OpenSuSE is also a good starter OS, I personally have nothing against it, I simply use ubuntu because I'm used to it. It has an easy install, and a good set of repositories(looked up the medibuntu repository for codecs). If you think running your own server may be of future interest then I'd say give a look into Fedora.

Why would you recommend Fedora over CentOS for a server environment? Fedora is more of a desktop distro.

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

"Debian -- The Universal Operating System!"

Everyone's got a favorite distro. People get comfortable with one, and it becomes familiar and easy to work with. Try out a few (virtual machines recommended) and see what's easiest for you to switch to and maintain.

I've tried a lot of distros, and ended up with Debian as a final choice. I used to use Slackware before a high-speed Internet connection was available to me. I've used OpenSuSE too, which is pretty good. As mentioned, Ubuntu is a good starting place for people new to Linux, as it provides a great community with /Ubuntu-specific/ answers. Ubuntu is, of course, based off Debian, so if you decide you need something lighter for a server environment (or just want a trimmed-down desktop), you'll already understand how the apt package system works, etc.

I stopped using RedHat after version 9 -- that's when I started looking for other distros. I used Vector Linux for a little while, which is a Slackware-based distro intended for ease of install on low-end hardware. I figured, if I liked Vector for its Slackware roots, I might as well try Slackware out. I used Slackware until I found a need for a more up-to-date distro -- Slackware is maintained for stability rather than having the most current packages. I learned a lot through Slackware, especially about compiling from source, kernel recompiles, etc. Steer clear of Gentoo.

As for browsers, Firefox ought to work. I'd play around with it until it does. Perhaps you'd be better off skipping the CentOS/Fedora packages for it and getting the binaries from Mozilla directly.

#9 Adamantine

Adamantine

H4x0r

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

Why would you recommend Fedora over CentOS for a server environment? Fedora is more of a desktop distro.

Because he said he was a newbie, and Fedora is a nice blend of both desktop and server environment. I figured that would be an easier place to start.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!