• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sshblack

sshblack

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

I know there is an earlier thread about UK meetings but it seemed to die a quiet death.

What does everyone think to one large UK meeting? There are a lot of people in London and it's a good central point? Something during the day on the weekend so everyone can get down there, and no one is forced to stay overnight? For all those in other counties I'm not sure of the train costs but if it were booked far enough in advance we could all scrape the train fare together?

I think it would be brilliant to get a UK meeting together because from what I read there's a great interest but no real action. I for one would like to stand up for the BinrevUK and would like to know other's thoughts on a mass meeting of the hacking minds?

Please post where you're from, would you be interested, your opinions and could you help other's to the meeting?

Thanks guys.

$$hBl@ck

#2 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:23 AM

Me and a few people put together one last year in London for three days. It went okay and about 16 people came from around Europe, we are doing another in Berlin in a few months. The thing is getting people to come is not an easy task, you get lots of people that say they want/will come and never turn up. Your best bet for a meet up is going to the London 2600 as you tend to get 12 to 24 people, they also do a mid-month meet up if you just want a one day thing. There is also a DEFCON London group which has a higher level of tech people.

I'd come to a meet up on a Saturday I guess if you had one. Maybe meet up at Victoria or Waterloo and then go do something.

Edit: We also had a camping trip a few weeks back, so there are UK meet ups, they are just not widely publicized.

Edited by m3747r0n, 22 July 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#3 sshblack

sshblack

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:52 AM

I think I read aout the Berlin trip, I think it was on Hackervoice? That sounded excellent I was seriousy cconsidering going only I must admit it did sound a bit "clique-y" and not being the most advanced hacker I felt I may spend most of the time just noding and smiling rather than understanding what was going on ^_^

I completey understand what you say about organising and people not showing. This is why I thought a single day is hard to refuse. No overnight stay or difficult travel hopefully should bring more hackers out the woodwork. I think there's 15-20 london hackers here alone.

Let's see what everyone else thinks and go from there!

#4 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:53 AM

I think I read aout the Berlin trip, I think it was on Hackervoice? That sounded excellent I was seriousy cconsidering going only I must admit it did sound a bit "clique-y" and not being the most advanced hacker I felt I may spend most of the time just noding and smiling rather than understanding what was going on ^_^

I completey understand what you say about organising and people not showing. This is why I thought a single day is hard to refuse. No overnight stay or difficult travel hopefully should bring more hackers out the woodwork. I think there's 15-20 london hackers here alone.

Well it's not really "clique-y" but there are a few people going that know each over or have talked on IRC for years, but you get that at all meet ups. As for the hacking side of things, I think most the people going are really more into coding, although they do enjoy hacking and general tech stuff. It really is more of four days of drinking, eating, talking shit, messing around with computers and seeing thing, so feel free to come as there will be people of all levels.

Anyway I'm sure you could get 10 to 15 people to show up for something on a Saturday, I think the reason people largely don't make it to DEFCON and 2600 meeting is because they are on week days and people can't be bothered to rush around after work to make it to one. The thing is finding things to do, if most people live in London, going to say the science museum and messing with the computers (they have one that you can access QBasic on) may not appeal to them and going to a pub and drinking all day is doable but not many people will show up.

Okay

Edited by m3747r0n, 22 July 2008 - 05:54 AM.

#5 cyb3r-dan

cyb3r-dan

elite

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

i think this is a good idea id be able to get down to london on most weekends, along with my mate. probs somewhere near covent gardens would be good as we can stop in at cyber candy

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!