• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Solfire

Solfire

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:41 AM

Hey guys, I'm rather new to Linux and its distros. However, I have an IBM R31 with about 15.1 GB free on my hard drive. It has a total size of 17.6 GB. It's an Intel Celeron, 1066 MHz, 1.07 GHz, with 120 MB of RAM.

I didn't really look into what distro would be best for my laptop. But I've been trying to install BackTrack 3 on it to no avail. It would run and as soon as it hit the terminal, weird stuff would happen to the screen (it would go black with horizontal patterns, or it would be some messed up color display). After burning several ISO images of that, and then finally putting it on a USB, I had no luck.

I went to Ubuntu with no luck, it's saying how I don't have the 250 MB of memory needed for it. So I thought Xubuntu would be good, but nope.

What distro would be good for my laptop, but still good to learn with? I wanted to start really learning about security exploits after I saw this on High T3ch:

http://hight3ch.com/...eless-networks/

Thanks!

#2 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

First of all, you don't install BackTrack. Second of all, I'd look into distros such as Slackware or Debian that let you choose whether or not you want to install a window manager. Install XFCE or fluxbox to keep the system lightweight. Alternatively, you could just install Damn Small Linux which has fluxbox as a default window manager.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!