• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

This guy is selling Kyocera solar cells -- bare cells, as would be used to build an array of whatever voltage -- for $3.50 for 24. I just bought 4 boxes for various projects I've had in mind. Here's the link:

Kyocera Solar Panels

He reports they put out around 1 V @ 100 mA in full sun. Of course, you arrange them in series for more voltage, or parallel for more amperage. I thought they'd be great for charge-during-day, lights-at-night devices referred to as "pummers" (a BEAM-bots term for a flasher with a slow decay). Since they're so cheap, I thought I might build a solar-powered USB device charger -- good for charging all of my USB powered devices, since the average unpowered hub puts out 500 mA @ 5 V.

Anyway, I thought other people might like the link, since there's a good quantity of them, and they're monocrystalline cells, which are the good kind.

#2 Ragnarok30

Ragnarok30

mad 1337

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

This guy is selling Kyocera solar cells -- bare cells, as would be used to build an array of whatever voltage -- for $3.50 for 24. I just bought 4 boxes for various projects I've had in mind. Here's the link:

Kyocera Solar Panels

He reports they put out around 1 V @ 100 mA in full sun. Of course, you arrange them in series for more voltage, or parallel for more amperage. I thought they'd be great for charge-during-day, lights-at-night devices referred to as "pummers" (a BEAM-bots term for a flasher with a slow decay). Since they're so cheap, I thought I might build a solar-powered USB device charger -- good for charging all of my USB powered devices, since the average unpowered hub puts out 500 mA @ 5 V.

Anyway, I thought other people might like the link, since there's a good quantity of them, and they're monocrystalline cells, which are the good kind.

This really interests me. I might just buy some. But I know they are going to sit for a while. I don't have a lot of wiring and electrical skills to build anything worth while. Not to mention I have no electronic components. Hmm.... but 3.50.... wow.

#3 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

Wow! That is a great price. They would be perfect for a couple of projects that I have in mind. Thanks for the post.

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Have you gotten them in your hand yet? Are they good quality? Think they'd stand up to being left out in the rain?

#5 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

Have you gotten them in your hand yet? Are they good quality? Think they'd stand up to being left out in the rain?

Yep, I received them the other day -- they're bare solar cells, so naturally they're pretty fragile on their own. They should be mounted to a sturdy nonconductive substrate like Lexan/Plexiglass/Acrylic for mounting anywhere, especially outside. If they'll be in a place where things (hail, birds, nuts from trees) may fall on them, cover them in Plexiglass or similar protective clear material. "Gorilla Glue," epoxy or hot glue seem to work fine for mounting them.

Other than being naturally weak, they seem to be very high-quality little solar cells. The produce a little over .5 V in artificial indoor lighting -- I haven't tried them outdoors in strong sunlight yet, since I've been working late. Don't use too much heat soldering to them, or you'll damage the cell. And don't use heavy (anything over 24 gauge) wire with them either -- any twisting applied to the wire will pull the solder traces from the solar cells! I don't know if this affects them, as long as part of it remains, but I wouldn't imagine it's great for them in any case. I've used 30 gauge Kynar wrapping wire for my solar cell connections, which works great.

The cells /can/ be cut to different shapes/lengths. They're better of being ground rather than cut, like glass. I used a Dremel tool with a 1/32 cutoff wheel at a medium speed. Think "grinding away" rather than cutting or sawing.

#6 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

Excellent find!

#7 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:38 AM

Wait, shit! "Item has ended." Damnit! Hope if any of you wanted some you ordered them already...

#8 tokachu

tokachu

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

A half volt at 100 mA… that’s 0.05 watts, right?

#9 Dik

Dik

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

man. me and a partner left a solar panel under a heat lamp in our tech teachers room. almost started a fire :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!