• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 stacksmasher

stacksmasher

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hummmm.... Anyone got an idea of what it is?

Gas Pump Hack

#2 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Doesn't sound like the same thing, but there was recently the story of a modified trailer that would drive onto a gas station's lot and park over top of one of the hatches used to put fuel into the tanks. The trailer had some kind of elaborate siphoning setup inside that literally lowered some hoses into the tank and swiped it right from there.

#3 vvuiverine

vvuiverine

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

This guy I once knew hacked gas pumps with a piece of duct tape.

#4 friendless

friendless

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

Doesn't sound like the same thing, but there was recently the story of a modified trailer that would drive onto a gas station's lot and park over top of one of the hatches used to put fuel into the tanks. The trailer had some kind of elaborate siphoning setup inside that literally lowered some hoses into the tank and swiped it right from there.

Yeah, I heard a story a few years ago about a van that had the same setup, they did it when the gas stations were closed, there was a hole cut on the bottom of the van so they could siphen into some large tanks inside of it. The only reason they were caught is some police offers were looking for someone who stole a go-cart type vechile and happen to peak into the guys garage.

#5 alienbinary

alienbinary

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Well, didn't Johns Hopkins announce sometime last year that they had cracked the Mobil Speedpass?

All the gas stations around here have some sort of RFID reader to make getting gas easier.

Personally, I say good for them. I have trouble shedding a tear for some fat cat oil exec and the station is probably insured.

#6 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

These machines are probably very insecure. Most people don't even realize how computerized they are. An easy way to haxor such a machine would be to throw the calibration off. You'd still pay for it but pay less. Gas pump calibration has become kind of a big thing there, there are a lot of rural stations with old or under-maintained pumps that can shaft you if you're not careful. The problem is only multiplied by higher gas prices.

Of course doing this is self-defeating. With such high gas prices, people will be doing this more often. Which means gas station operators will need to raise prices to cover the loss and implement better security. Which means yet higher gas prices. I saw a news story about people stealing diesel from farmers in California. A hugely stupid idea, that's only going to make them go out of business or drive the price of food even higher. Stealing gas only hurts yourself. Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

#7 Shadowdog1998

Shadowdog1998

elite

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

interesting article...makes me want to get my hands on a pump

#8 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

those nigs in the mugshot just dont look like the techie type. they must have some white friends.

#9 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

I remember my father telling me of a scheme..
it was the seventies...

This ring of gas thieves rigged up a suction pump in the trunk of their car with a hose on a reel. The access to it was hidden behind the flip down license plate. They would drive to the mall, park beside their target car. pull the hose out and shove it in... hit a switch and pump out the vic's gas.

-road trip anyone? ;)

#10 mirrorshades

mirrorshades

aviatorglasses

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:38 AM

those nigs in the mugshot just dont look like the techie type. they must have some white friends.

Knock that crap off.

#11 carwash

carwash

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Anyone remember this video?

Also Stealing gas Jiggaboo jones Style :)

"Soon as you see that Mofo roll up! You already pump'n You already Pump'n!"

Some crazy fuckers out there.

#12 tao_of_pi

tao_of_pi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

I'm sure the cops came to the same conclusion. :P

Whoever did creat that device must have had a descent understanding of the firmware those pumps used. Possibly a fomor employee.

Seems like a lot of work to get free gas, why not just siphon gas from other cars? A lot of people are getting locking gas caps nowdays but I'm sure you can pry them off with a little effort.

#13 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:26 AM

Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

I see that car lots in my area are saturated with used SUVs.

#14 tao_of_pi

tao_of_pi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

I see that car lots in my area are saturated with used SUVs.

Now they're telling everybody not to sell their SUVs/trucks. No-one wants to buy them so car lots cant sell them.

Can't say I really feel that sorry for most people because they didn't need a fucking SUV in the first place.

#15 hrddrv

hrddrv

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

I own an Chevy Trailblaze. Am I sorry I bought one no. I unfortunately need it almost everyday. Not only do I haul al kinds of stuff everywhere. I use it when we take our dogs with us. It is our only vehicle at the moment but we are looking at getting a small car to tool around town with. I love my suv even if it is a gas guzzerler. It gets better than my last 2 cars (souped up 1986 Trans Am 8 mpg on a good day and a 1995 Sunfire that when it started to have lots of problems I was getting 12 mpg.) So at 18 to 21 in town with it being packed full of computers or clothes or whetever I am pretty happy.

#16 Tenchi

Tenchi

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

why not just siphon gas from other cars?

If I was desperate/crazy enough to steal gas, I'd much rather steal it from Shell (who announced $27.6bn profit for 2007) or other gas company, than from people's cars off the street. Usually, the older the car the easier it is to steal gas. So some poor guy who's filled his aging car with $60 of gas can hardly afford to fuel another's habit too.

Come the end of the month, if someone siphoned my car I'd be screwed - no work, no shopping, nothing. Stop stealing my gas Tao! ;)

#17 tao_of_pi

tao_of_pi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

I don't drive but if I was stealing gas i'd drive to the 200,000 homes and steal it from the first SUV I found.

#18 n2oblivion

n2oblivion

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

But like.. aren't u supposed to spot BEFORE the crime? What the hell...? And like in broad daylight? Wonder what the hell they used... and what are they gonna do with the gas, ebay that shit?

#19 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

But like.. aren't u supposed to spot BEFORE the crime? What the hell...? And like in broad daylight? Wonder what the hell they used... and what are they gonna do with the gas, ebay that shit?

I'm like, guessing like, they were like going to put it like in their cars like and drive around like with it like. Like.

#20 Sector

Sector

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

These machines are probably very insecure. Most people don't even realize how computerized they are. An easy way to haxor such a machine would be to throw the calibration off. You'd still pay for it but pay less. Gas pump calibration has become kind of a big thing there, there are a lot of rural stations with old or under-maintained pumps that can shaft you if you're not careful. The problem is only multiplied by higher gas prices.

Of course doing this is self-defeating. With such high gas prices, people will be doing this more often. Which means gas station operators will need to raise prices to cover the loss and implement better security. Which means yet higher gas prices. I saw a news story about people stealing diesel from farmers in California. A hugely stupid idea, that's only going to make them go out of business or drive the price of food even higher. Stealing gas only hurts yourself. Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

I agree with ohm.

I also would like to get my hands on a gas pump, but wouldnt bother. Just get it out of other peoples cars if you really feel like stealing it :P

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!