Photo
- - - - -

how to change my external IP?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paranoid_user

paranoid_user

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

hello, i need to change my ext. ip, but i am quite inexperienced; not a total noob tho.

so how should i be able to do that? i found few pointers on the web but they were all
explained bit poorly.

oh, and my external ip is dynamic as far as i know.

#2 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

Your IP is leased to you from your ISP and the length of the lease varies. One ISP I was with leased it for 24hrs, another leased it for use only while my connection existed.

Basically you need to switch off your router/box until the lease runs out, at which time when you reconnect, you will be issued a new one.

As you mention, if it was static you would need to get your ISP to change it.

#3 paranoid_user

paranoid_user

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

yea, my lease has 24h longevity too. if ipconfig tells it right.

so basicaly what i gather... router obtains the lease every 24 hours. if i log on onto the computer in that time it will renew the lease and my ip will remain the same.

so should i turn off the router or modem for 24 hours or just a turn them off/on at the time of lease expiration - turn it off before and turn on after?

#4 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

why not just use proxies?

#5 paranoid_user

paranoid_user

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

never did that. how do i do that? :]

Edited by paranoid_user, 24 May 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#6 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:55 AM

never did that. how do i do that? :]

You need to configure your software to use a proxy. Many programs do not support this; however web browsers like Firefox and IE do, if that is what you need the proxy for. Just find a list of proxies on Google - basically you want a list of IPs and ports. Be sure that your proxy isn't a "transparent proxy", or else your IP won't be masked. Then, in Firefox for example, you would go on the menu to Preferences ->Advanced->Network->Settings, and fill out the IP and port of the proxy accordingly.

Basically a proxy is just a server that stands between your computer and the server you're trying to reach. It receives the information that you send it (requesting a web page, for example), and forwards it to the server. But since *it* is now the one sending the request, not *you*, the remote server sees the IP of the proxy, not your IP.

Also, if you really want to be anonymous, take a look at Tor + the torbutton extension for firefox. Tor is similar to using a proxy except it encrypts your data multiple times. It then sends that data through a web of multiple computers, with each computer decrypting a layer of the data. It would help to take a look at "web proxy" and "onion routing" on wikipedia.

#7 paranoid_user

paranoid_user

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

thanks. i am on it.

mission report later. :]

#8 paranoid_user

paranoid_user

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

so i've done some research on proxy lists and apparently there's a whole bussines with them out there. quite hard to find something reliable and with a decent latency.

i was looking for anonymous proxies and came across these PlanetLab/CoDeeN servers. most of them have good latency and are anonymous but have rather shady restrictions that seemed to pop-up in 8 cases from 10. something in a vein of: ""You are trying to use a node of the CoDeeN CDN Network. Your IP address is not recognized as a valid PlanetLab address, so your request rate is being limited." seems strange that all those proxy lists seem to crawl with them.

just to verify something out... when i use "distant" proxy, like something overseas, is there a decrease in bandwith? this is a bit confusing as i am from Europe and when i checked the latency info on some proxies, the US ones seemed to have less latency than some EU ones. so i do not know exactly if the latency is measured according to "me" or the site/server thats it displayed on.

#9 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, proxies are great...it's just a matter of finding a good, reliable one. If anyone has any lists that they have run through a checker and want to share... :roll:

#10 Dex

Dex

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

Yes the FBI should be able to supply you with a list, as the best ones are owned by them ;) .

Edited by Dex, 26 May 2008 - 09:23 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!