Photo
- - - - -

How do I Share a CD drive over a network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kalos

Kalos

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

Okay, I'm trying to share a cd drive between to computers, but can't get it to work. I have administrator access on both computers, and have tried right clicking the drive and selecting to share with full access. When I try to access it on the other computer it says access denied. I tried google, and found something that said I need to turn off simple sharing, but on or off it doesn't matter. I'm running windows XP on both computers, have a network setup between them and two other computers, can someone help me?

#2 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

you should go to the advanced sharing options when you right click the cd/dvd drive you want to share, you can either pick "share" or properties. either one will be able to take you to "advanced sharing". from the advanced sharing section you can choose user permissions for this shared drive. you can set the features that the remote user will be able to use. and you can add users for this drive and set custom permissions for each user. for example if you want one user to only be able to read and not write you can set that, or if you want another user to have full control over the drive and its contents you can set that also.

#3 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

setup a freeNAS box and hope you never get owned :)

joking asside you can use \\hostname\d$ etc ... ( the D: drive )

Edited by operat0r, 20 May 2008 - 04:53 PM.

#4 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

I had to set up a DVD-ROM server for an auto shop long ago. I used NT4 and a full-tower case with (I think) 6 DVD-ROM drives (I even had to make extra-long IDE cables and install another IDE controller). The shares worked as expected (windows 98 clients), no problems at all. So it should be relatively easy to do. Note that you won't get full access to the drive. I don't think you'll be able to eject the tray or (in the case of a changer) change the disc. Windows will just share whatever files are on that drive.

Of course, had I know then what I know now, I would have set up a tiny Linux server with Samba and taken images of the DVD-ROMs. Much easier..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!