Photo
- - - - -

Hams?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Hams?

Got yer ticket?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Enmaku

Enmaku

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

Technician Class as of last month :)

#22 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Technician Class as of last month :)

Congratulations! Two more to go! :smile:

#23 zraith

zraith

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

Technician class. I was into it, but down here in this college town its all old pissed off men. All they wanna do is talk politics and comment on how old they are.

I don't plan on getting a better license, simply because I have heard some of the fucking idiots on 11m pushing 100 watts, though that may be those sideband CB guys with their linear amps. :X It just really pisses me off. Back in my home town the guys are cool and supportive, but down here their all faggots. No wonder the youth doesn't get involved.

On the other hand, I am an active weather spotter, so at least I get to drive around and look for tornados when the local authorities would stop anyone else. All in good fun.

Weather spotting was probably the main reason I got into it. That and trying to avoid getting a minor at parties. Great incentives, I know.

#24 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

I did the licensing thing about 7 years ago, I went right through and sat the advanced radio communications examination or whatever it was called back then, as I liked the idea of a full license and being able to use 400Watts, but to be honest I largely gave it up as a hoby. Its all old guys talking about stuff I could not care less about. Some of the amateur radio digital modes still interest me a bit but voice is dead and has been for many years.

#25 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

I did the licensing thing about 7 years ago, I went right through and sat the advanced radio communications examination or whatever it was called back then, as I liked the idea of a full license and being able to use 400Watts, but to be honest I largely gave it up as a hoby. Its all old guys talking about stuff I could not care less about. Some of the amateur radio digital modes still interest me a bit but voice is dead and has been for many years.

I had pretty much the same experience. I did get in with some guys who built a fast scan TV repeater. Building the equipment was fun, but then it turned into the same old boring conversations plus video. I wonder if anything interesting is going on with digital radio now? Is there any way to use packet radio to pick up an Internet connection in my car?

#26 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

I think that's the problem with the hobby now. It's not very conducive to new people as the old people are simply set in their ways.

Hence my solution to the whole problem: Let's start our own!

There's nothing really preventing us from creating our own non-profit club organization. And we'd probably be able to benefit from simply *not* being affiliated with the ARRL, local clubs affiliated with the ARRL or any other ARRL sanctioned event. Not to say that we can't join them but why?

It's too bad Wayne Green and 73 magazine is now forever part of the past... the guy had the right ideas about not following other people's drum... especially the league's.

The only reason I'm a member of the league now is because QST sucks as a magazine...

#27 _ThEcRoW

_ThEcRoW

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

Pirate since 14 ;), got mine at 16. Now i hold the equivalent to the extra or general class in my country. Lots of fun in and out of amateur bands. There is plenty of stuff to hear on. My latest interest are psk31 and listening to utility stations.

#28 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

+1 its old men and fools, boys clubs to chat round to their clique on a sunday morning about nothing technical.
Exercising their god given right to come on 2m and walk all over the qrp section to find a clear space without disturbance. To trample my homebrew baycom/1w self converted pmr rig through a discone with 2-300w erp out a yagi flattening all in their path with a toneburst first (I kid you not, listen on audio on the packet frequencies and you often hear some idiot doing this) to clear the band on 70cm packet because they can't be bothered to wait. Soldering? they've heard thats what poor people do when they can't afford proper yaesu equipment and any license theory is long since forgotten.

More fun is to be had on 11m ssb packet or sstv nowadays I think. If you can avoid the italian alfa tango's and their own organized version of the old boys club. I have no official ham gear, I stopped paying my license fee's years ago but I do have a very self modified cobra 148 and a zetagi valve linear hooked up to a aea pk232 ;)

Maybe Im just a dirty non conformist after all.

#29 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

I recently got involved with the VHF/UHF/Microwave "weak signal" aspect of the hobby. Pleasant people there, very willing to elmer a newbie. The older weak signal hams are definitely not the cranky geriatric fucktards you encounter elsewhere on the ham bands. They're too busy building microwave transverters into Altiods tins at 24+ GHz.

Unfortunately, this is an exception in the amateur radio community.

+1 its old men and fools, boys clubs to chat round to their clique on a sunday morning about nothing technical.

#30 Berzerk

Berzerk

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

11 meters since the 80's and met many good people on the citizens Band, became friends with some of them, that was in Northern Cali. Where I live now 11 meters is not very active. No code Tech in 2001 enjoyed it very much there where some lively repeaters From Monterey Bay to San Jose.
Built a 6 element Yagi beam from scratch for 6 meters, very pleased with it's performance. Again were I live now the conversations are not stimulating enough to join in on unless your into discussions concerning colostomy bags!
The expiration date for my ticket is next month and I'm not sure if I'll renew it at this point, sad really.

#31 bornterror

bornterror

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Got my tech license in 2003 and passed the code test

#32 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Like I said in my last 2600 article, fuck the geriatric cranktards. Plenty to do on the ham bands that doesn't involve them.

#33 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I lost interest in the hobby years ago. But a friend of mine just got back into it. Handhelds are really cheap now. You can get a dual band 2M 440 MHz for under $50 USD. Google Baofeng or check them out on eBay.

#34 scratchytcarrier

scratchytcarrier

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Used to. Never went farther than tech; let my ticket lapse 5-6 years ago. I won't get into specifics as to why on here. I've gone over all that crap in considerable depth on other sites. Except for maybe somebody occasionally throwing their call out on 146.520 to no avail, or the usual bumper crop of pissed-off rednecks and 70-somethings (god! they're everywhere!) congregating on the few 440 repeaters that haven't totally shut down for lack of use, it's pretty much dead. And I live in a major urban area!

I do hold a GMRS ticket, which is set to expire the middle of next year. I've made reasonable use of it but am currently debating risking another non-refundable $85 to renew it, considering talk of deregulation that's been going around. I only got it just to shut my sociopath neighbour at the time up, because he kept making personal threats about if he heard me on 725 assisting the local elementary school's crosswalk group again without a ticket (like it's really up to me to decide which channel they operate on.) He was recently thrown in jail for 25 years on various unrelated felony charges. Good riddance. Protowack.

While it may not politically correct to say so, I've generally had a lot more phun with FRS and MURS than could have had with ham radio around here these days. Maybe I'm just another one of those dirty nonconformists, too.

Edited by scratchytcarrier, 23 September 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#35 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

I think it's all in how you use it.  For instance, as part of the 2600/Telephreak group at Defcon, we've ran a pager network on 70cm for the weekend.  There are those who do P25/MotoTrbo digital radio.  If I was a little less lazy, I'd be more on HF or finish my satellite tracker project and monkey with satellites.  It's all how you choose to use your ticket.  You mentioned school crosswalk group - maybe take it further an volunteer to help in communications for 5k runs or the whole emcom thing.  You can even legally use amplifiers with 802.11 hardware on certain frequencies with your ham ticket.

I understand where you're coming from tho.  When I lived in a different state than where I am now, there was the old-fogie "club" repeater who would get pissy when you used it after 10pm or there was the "other" repeater which was setup as an alternative to running simplex.  Most of those guys were cb'ers who went "legit" with their power.  Now that I live in a big city again, I have dozens of repeaters at my fingertips and I would say that 95% of them are people who I probably would keep at arms length.  

Friends that I do socialize with who also have a ham ticket either have the wrong class of ticket (most of the problem) for the range needed or we lack the setup to bridge the distance (usually antenna related).  There's nothing wrong with having just the technician ticket.  But it is limited intentionally.  Upgrading my license was one of the first things I did once the newness of repeaters and ht radios wore off.  After all, now it's just another written test to upgrade.  Back then, I had to learn morse code at a sufficient speed.  One of these days, I'll train my brain to hear words instead of letters....

GPRS/FRS has it's place and a lot more leeway in terms of content.  But I still find amateur radio to be a lot more flexible in what you can do with the radio art. You will always find assholes that will stake their claim to any given frequency or spectrum - even when they know damn well that no allocated frequency is for exclusive use.  I just remind them of the regs and tell them that the frequency is in use.  Them trying to cause interference just makes them look petty and causes them to be put in a actionable position for a NAL from the FCC.

#36 scratchytcarrier

scratchytcarrier

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

For instance, as part of the 2600/Telephreak group at Defcon, we've ran a pager network on 70cm for the weekend.

Hmmm. I've heard through the proverbial grapevine that MURS is good for that. (Hi, ticom!)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!