• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have a RAZR V3M phone from US Cellular and I'd like to unlock it for use on the Verizon network.

I've been to Hack The RAZR and I've been having some trouble finding the right information.

Anybody know how to do this, or know of a tutorial or a website that might help?

#2 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

It appears I am going to have to flash the firmware. Does anybody have any experience with this or advice you can offer? Is it possible to flash the phone with Verizon firmware?

#3 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

OKay I am going to go ahead and do this. I've done a bunch of research and I have somebody to help me out whenever I get stuck.

I'll report back here after I'm done (assuming the procedure is successful) and let you all know how it went.

#4 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

Cingular phones are GSM, Verizon are CDMA. I don't think this will work.

#5 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

Yea if you do a Verizon firmware load and Verizon can take the ESN of the phone and activate it (doubtful) then yes thats all you need.

You can do it without the flash but then in that case what verizon says to program the phone won't work... you'd be on your own in terms of programing it and getting data/internet to work.

#6 bit_rot

bit_rot

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

Us cellular is CDMA. But your right about GSM not working on CDMA or vice versa.

#7 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Us cellular is CDMA. But your right about GSM not working on CDMA or vice versa.

http://www.wireless....gy/gsm-gprs.jsp
Most carriers in the US are GSM.

#8 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

OK I did it. I have now changed my US Cellular RAZR V3M into a stock Verizon phone. All I had to do was flash the firmware. It was a little scary (as anyone who's ever flashed a motherboard BIOS can attest) but it was actually very easy. My next step is going to be flashing the firmware again to enable all the stock Motorola features that Verizon has disabled in their firmware.

There's a lot of information all over the Web about how to do this, but some of it is out-of-date and there are a few contradictions here and there. Do you think this is worth writing up a tutorial about?

Edited by Colonel Panic, 10 May 2008 - 04:18 PM.

#9 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

There are plenty of turtorials..

But generally people flash their VZW phones with a "generic" firmware. Very easy to do....

Did you actually activate the phone with VZW? Because last I head that was the hardest thign.

#10 bit_rot

bit_rot

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

http://www.wireless....gy/gsm-gprs.jsp
Most carriers in the US are GSM.

The US is actually pretty split when it comes to it. Globally though, GSM is more popular. Especially when it comes to the more cellular adapt country's like Korea.

#11 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

There are plenty of turtorials..

But generally people flash their VZW phones with a "generic" firmware. Very easy to do....

Did you actually activate the phone with VZW? Because last I head that was the hardest thign.

Assuming you already have a Verizon account, that's the easiest part. You just call Verizon up and tell them you have a new phone you want to activate, tell them the ESN # of your new phone, then dial *22890 on the phone you wish to activate. Within 5 minutes it'll be working.

But I was starting off with a USCC phone, so before worrying about modifying the phone's features, I had to flash the phone with VZW's firmware just to enable it to see the Verizon network and make and receive calls and messages, access the Internet, etc. Now that my phone is working on the VZW network I can go ahead and flash it again with some other firmware (like VIVO) to re-enable all the features that Motorola built into the phone but Verizon's firmware has locked out.

Edited by Colonel Panic, 11 May 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#12 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

BTW, if you ever need to do any kind of modding/hacking of a Motorola RAZR, here's where you can find all the software you'll need: http://www.hackthera.../downloads.html

That's a great forum for RAZR hacking and modding. Another great cellphone hacking forum is http://www.howardforums.com

Here's where you can find firmware images for most VZW phones: http://humpa.com/vzw/

Edited by Colonel Panic, 13 May 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#13 babyblow10

babyblow10

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

would u be able to do the same thing if you have a verizon one and want to change it to cingular

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!