• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 friendless

friendless

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

Incase I don't make it clear the primary issue is when I change physical address I can't connect to a wireless point.

Additional Edited Added Note: I'm 99.5% sure this isn't an AP issue.

Hello.

Basic *nix user still learning have alot to go however...

I noticed with any distro running new kernel I now get a wmaster0 which I looked into turns out to be some kind of internal device for the driver, nothing to worry about. I can still connect to any network wireless... no issues.

Typical scenario... I decide to change my MAC addres... the typical method I learned to this was with the bash command:

ifconfig <device> hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

However in this case:

ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:1c:bf:XX:XX:XX

Usually the device has to be down, I bring it back up after (wmaster0 goes down and up with it)

Now however, while I change my physical address on wlan0 it doesn't change on wmaster0 it still contains my old HWaddr in the format:
HWaddr 00-1c-BF-XX-XX-XX-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

Yes, with -'s not : 's for dividers.

while the wlan0 contains the new one.

I can do a iwlist scan and get a list of wireless devices fine...

When I try to connect to any wireless network however it goes into obtaining IP address for a long period... than simply says, " Not connected "

I'm currently using Wicd network manager... was originally using the default one that comes with ubuntu (kubuntu 8 with KDE 4 in this case even though I have tried on other distro's).

The drivers im using I believe come with the new linux kernel.

I'm not exactly sure which logs i'd require to post here if needed I believe i'd need the daemon.log logs? If they're needed let me know.

I have done countless search's most are people asking what wmaster0 is and not getting answers...

Edited by friendless, 03 May 2008 - 08:08 AM.

#2 Will4764

Will4764

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

Personally I've never come across this myself.
So just some musings.

Have you tried manually changing the MAC of wmaster0?
Have you tried not using DHCP and assigning IPs manually?

I'd have a play with my own sys to try and get some more answers but I'm running 'dows at the moment so I can't.
Have a go at the above and I'll be back on *nix later so I can have more of a go later if you need more help.

When you say using the new kernel as apose to an older kernel do you mean you rebuilt your kernel or did you reinstall your OS with an updated version and now have the new kernel?

#3 KaYoS

KaYoS

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

I get the screwed up reply in ifconfig if my card is in monitor mode. eg 00-11-22-33-44-55-00-00-00-00-00-00-00, but it still works fine

If i do the following:

ifconfig ra0 down
macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 ra0
ifconfig ra0 up

It works fine, i have even added the faked mac to my ap so i can connect to the net and it works fine every time

It works with my rt2500 based card and my rt73 (usb device, so rausb0 is used)

I am also able to connect to open aps.

#4 SAGA

SAGA

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:47 AM

Incase I don't make it clear the primary issue is when I change physical address I can't connect to a wireless point.

Additional Edited Added Note: I'm 99.5% sure this isn't an AP issue.

Hello.

Basic *nix user still learning have alot to go however...

I noticed with any distro running new kernel I now get a wmaster0 which I looked into turns out to be some kind of internal device for the driver, nothing to worry about. I can still connect to any network wireless... no issues.

Typical scenario... I decide to change my MAC addres... the typical method I learned to this was with the bash command:

ifconfig <device> hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

However in this case:

ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:1c:bf:XX:XX:XX

Usually the device has to be down, I bring it back up after (wmaster0 goes down and up with it)

Now however, while I change my physical address on wlan0 it doesn't change on wmaster0 it still contains my old HWaddr in the format:
HWaddr 00-1c-BF-XX-XX-XX-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

Yes, with -'s not : 's for dividers.

while the wlan0 contains the new one.

I can do a iwlist scan and get a list of wireless devices fine...

When I try to connect to any wireless network however it goes into obtaining IP address for a long period... than simply says, " Not connected "

I'm currently using Wicd network manager... was originally using the default one that comes with ubuntu (kubuntu 8 with KDE 4 in this case even though I have tried on other distro's).

The drivers im using I believe come with the new linux kernel.

I'm not exactly sure which logs i'd require to post here if needed I believe i'd need the daemon.log logs? If they're needed let me know.

I have done countless search's most are people asking what wmaster0 is and not getting answers...

May be your internet service provider use MAC based authentication scheems...so if you change your mac address ....you won't be able to connect to the service....(just a guess)

see this for more mac address changing...

http://www.irongeek....urity/changemac

Its from irongeeks site.....

#5 friendless

friendless

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Been a while since I worked on this issue besides for this week, so it is a known issue that the IWL3945 MAC80211 wireless drivers are unable to associate with a AP after changing the MAC Address, saw it on the bug thread, I'll probley edit this later and post the URL as I need to head to lunch in a minute.

In order to work around this issue for the time being I decided to install the old IEEE80211 drivers being IPW3945.

There's some guides however most of them just caused issues or had bad links to resolve them and didn't cover the whole project.

I eventually found this thread:

http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1060324

while it is for the IPW2200 the setup is the exact same with the exception you will need to find the IPW3945 patch and drivers rather than the 2200, which I may post later as well.

After all of this I managed to get it working, now when I need to spoof my mac I can change back to the IPW drivers with ease and associate with the AP after spoofing my MAC Address.

Since than I also installed IPWRAW for packet injection, so I can switch between all three drivers depending on the situation.

Just figured I would post a work-around for this known issue.

#6 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, I have the same trouble with my mac80211-based Atheros ath9k driver. If I try to change the address using ifconfig or macchanger, I can no longer associate with an access point (but it still finds beacon frames and can do things like packet injection fine).

http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=780231

This is apparently a problem with all drivers that use the mac80211 sublayer? And it still hasn't been fixed? A little hard to believe...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!