• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 tacomaster

tacomaster

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Most of our payphones are at&t with a couple of COCOTs. they are trying to take them out. Failing mostly. They just put in 3 new ones at a local grocery store that had none before. Going to have to go play with them some. Sucks that they are going the way of the taradactul. Such gentle creatures.

#22 levitis_leviathan

levitis_leviathan

H4x0r

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

The three functional payphones in my basement hackerlab are working just fine...

#23 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

You can only red box calls within your own LATA, since that is handled by a Verizon DMS-200 TOPS and served by Verizon LD. Calls outside your own LATA were until 2002-2003 timeframe served by AT&T's OSPS. AT&T got out of the pay phone LD biz. So you can't red box to places outside your LATA anymore.

In parts of some Qwest states, most notably Iowa and Minnesota, they'll actually have a 5E running OSPS instead of a DMS-200 with TOPS. It's probably no different, what with offering calls only within the LATA, but I'm betting it's going to sound a bit different. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they just had hardware modules that added ACTS support to the 4Es?

http://www.qwest.com...m.pl?function=2

#24 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

In parts of some Qwest states, most notably Iowa and Minnesota, they'll actually have a 5E running OSPS instead of a DMS-200 with TOPS. It's probably no different, what with offering calls only within the LATA, but I'm betting it's going to sound a bit different. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they just had hardware modules that added ACTS support to the 4Es?

That is true - US West (Qwest) sometimes uses OSPS instead of TOPS. OSPS is an added feature of 5ESS switches to handle operator services functions, not 4ESS.

But I would believe it is the same - you can only call LD from a traditional pay phone via local TOPS or OSPS to other phone numbers in your own LATA.

These days, do LATAs really matter anymore? Food for thought.

#25 DeadlyCypher

DeadlyCypher

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

New York City has an interesting situation...

A ton of dead payphones. Upon calling repair, sometimes a repairman will go out there and sometimes one won't. I'm getting the feeling Verizon stopped caring about their payphones, especially in the bad neighborhoods.

About a year ago, I-BaLL and I were messing with a Verizon payphone when a man goes up to the payphone next us with and begins shoving a long metal wire down the coin slot. We got into a conversation with him and it turns out, somehow (I don't quite remember how he described the process) this was supposed to get coins out of the coinbox? Seemed very strange to me. Apparently theres a pay phone theft scene around here. Kinda neat ;).

edit: Almost forgot... Theres a mystery neither I-BaLL or I can figure out around here. Many payphones in my area and other select areas of the city have their keypads blown out. Clean gone. All that's left are a few wires which are sometimes tied together. I've seen a few payphones where it seems as though the keypad removal process was unsuccessful; it's just full of dents and/or burn marks. I'm wondering why someone would be doing this? Maybe somebody hates Verizon? :P Disgrunted employee!

I've also seen payphones with specifically tip and ring wires exposed and cut. Makes me think people beige off of them.

Gotta love big cities.

Edited by DeadlyCypher, 18 May 2008 - 03:30 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!