• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

I'm sure alot of us heard 'Young Lust' off Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album. A question popped into my head today which made me want to toss this post up.

At the end of the track, "Pink" calls his house via a Overseas operator to find out that his wife is a skank sleeping around on him.

What is the decode of the tones the operator dials to call his house when she retries the call?

#2 .Horse

.Horse

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

I'm sure alot of us heard 'Young Lust' off Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album. A question popped into my head today which made me want to toss this post up.

At the end of the track, "Pink" calls his house via a Overseas operator to find out that his wife is a skank sleeping around on him.

What is the decode of the tones the operator dials to call his house when she retries the call?

Ahhh fuck Im stuck and work and I dont have my portable HDD with my music on it.
This is gonna drive me insane till I get done with my hockey game tonight.

#3 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

Pink Floyd's Young Lust is a song on their 1979 album The Wall. The last 45 seconds of the song is a person-to-person collect call to a "Mr. Floyd from Mrs. Floyd" which of course do not exist. You hear the operator make two attempts, one of which you hear international MF sounds and 2400/2600 Hz supervision chirps. I wonder if AT&T ever asked for royalties from this song?

Source: http://www.dmine.com...ld/sounds/misc/

Shouts to dmine45! What a great site!

#4 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

I found this a year or two ago. Do a control + f for Keith Monahan, it's a long page:

http://www.rogerwate.../2003-2004.html

One of my favorite songs on The Wall :)

#5 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

What about that call at the beginning of "Deez Nuts" by Dr. Dre? Anybody ever decode the DTMF?

#6 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• 592 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Pink Floyd's Young Lust is a song on their 1979 album The Wall. The last 45 seconds of the song is a person-to-person collect call to a "Mr. Floyd from Mrs. Floyd" which of course do not exist. You hear the operator make two attempts, one of which you hear international MF sounds and 2400/2600 Hz supervision chirps. I wonder if AT&T ever asked for royalties from this song?

Source: http://www.dmine.com...ld/sounds/misc/

Shouts to dmine45! What a great site!

I wish they would actually decode what was sent. It would be neat to see what numbers people dial and put into their songs. Gotta beat 555-numbers and 8675309. :)

#7 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• 592 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

I found this a year or two ago. Do a control + f for Keith Monahan, it's a long page:

http://www.rogerwate.../2003-2004.html

One of my favorite songs on The Wall :)

Oh, very cool. Exactly what I was looking for..

Entire MF string is 'KP1' 0 4 4 1 8 3 1 'ST'

Now I wonder if UK dialing schemes changed in the 1960's/70's. so the number can be mapped to a new number. :)

It'll probably end up being EMI's studios or something.

#8 df99

df99

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

Cool!

044 is the UK country code, padded with a zero. The zero was sometimes needed when blue boxing a call overseas back in the day.

183 was the old internal code for the New York City ISC (International Switching Center) overseas gateway.

To box a call to the UK using the New York ISC, one would MF:

KP + 183 +ST

This would return a wink and an international dial tone. One would then MF, for the UK:

KP + 44 + city_code + local_number + ST

If one did not know the correct ISC to use (there were at least 7). one would MF:

KP + 011 + 044 + ST

This would select the optimal ISC for the country and return the wink and international dial tone. One would then MF:

Some similar digits seem to be in the decoded string, but not in the correct order. Maybe a new phreak?

#9 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

Cool!

044 is the UK country code, padded with a zero. The zero was sometimes needed when blue boxing a call overseas back in the day.

183 was the old internal code for the New York City ISC (International Switching Center) overseas gateway.

To box a call to the UK using the New York ISC, one would MF:

KP + 183 +ST

This would return a wink and an international dial tone. One would then MF, for the UK:

If one did not know the correct ISC to use (there were at least 7). one would MF:

KP + 011 + 044 + ST

This would select the optimal ISC for the country and return the wink and international dial tone. One would then MF:

Some similar digits seem to be in the decoded string, but not in the correct order. Maybe a new phreak?

Thanks for posting this. Didn't get to see the thread until today! :)

It was interesting in the days of mixed switching systems in the late 1970s. #1ESS & #1AESS switches that were IDDD capable, yet the majority of the network was #4 crossbar. #4 crossbar switches were limited to 10 digits total, so they could not (natively) handle IDDD calls. So the #4 was just a passthrough switch.

When an IDDD call was set up, the 1/1A would call the appropriate International gateway through the 4/4A/4M, then when it "answered" with 480 Hz, the 1/1A would then spill the MF string to the gateway, then the gateway would then spill MF (I'm guessing in this case in R2 format) to the UK gateway.

When a TSPS operator did it, she would connect to the gateway, hear the tone, then manually send the MF string to the gateway - which is what you hear in the song.

Obviously the song was heavily edited, but you do get to hear the call setup, and the 2600 Hz supervision chirps.

Classic rock at its finest - with classic phone sounds!

Edited by dmine45, 18 April 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#10 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• 592 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Here's another question inspired by the change in seasons...

Queensryche's album "Empire" features two voice mail recordings: One in "Another rainy night" and another in "Empire".

What VMS system is it and does anyone actually have a website that keeps track of which VMS is which by the sound of the voice prompts?

Bonus points if someone actually has all the prompts of said VMS so that people can customize their Asterisk PBX system with.

#11 Yauch

Yauch

elite

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

Here's another music/phreaking question. At the end of the song Almost ready by Dinosaur Jr do you hear red box tones, or am I going crazy?
listen via youtube

#12 JmanA9

JmanA9

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Here's another music/phreaking question. At the end of the song Almost ready by Dinosaur Jr do you hear red box tones, or am I going crazy?
listen via youtube

There's too many pulses to be a quarter tone, but it sounds like it's almost the right frequency.

#13 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

listen via youtube

There's too many pulses to be a quarter tone, but it sounds like it's almost the right frequency.

I noticed that too, actually it does sound alot like a canadian quarter tone...

Edited by IndexPhinger, 12 November 2008 - 05:41 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!