• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:31 PM

Because it is a common occurance in this forum in particular, I thought that I would post a clarification for anyone who may post here that INTENT is a very important part of your post. Intent is a legal term that shows what your goal is and is similar to a confession (in advance) to what you are trying to accomplish.

I think an example may clarify...

BAD QUESTION:

I want to hack into my ex-girlfriends web site which is a blog that runs WORDPRESS. Can someone tell me how to do this?

GOOD QUESTION:

Does anyone know if wordpress version 1.3.1 has any vulnerabilities?

The reason why these posts are different is the intent of the posts. The first example is a request for assistance in doing something illegal. This is not (necessarily) a statement towards the MORALITY of this action, but more to the LEGALITY of asking here in these forums. By stating your intent, that makes me liable for any actions that may result from the responses posted here. It can be claimed that I not only allowed, but encouraged it by allowing the thread to exist and allow responses to it. This is one of the reasons that we have certain rules.

The second post is better because it does not state any intended purpose. It is a simple question and we do not know what your intent it. I trust that anyone posting like this is doing it for reasons of their own and are probably testing out the security on their own box that they control. I give all users the benefit of the doubt. But if you post something that explicitly states some intent, then the moderating team is forced to take action. I also remind our users to LET THE MODERATORS HANDLE THESE. Do not quote the rules at people because ultimately only the moderators are trained (and yes, they do get training) to be able to intepret this.

Hacking is about exploring. And breaking/hacking wordpress (or anything else) is a valid topic and very much encouraged for discussion. You just have to be doing it for the right reasons. If you are doing it on your box (or assumed to be doing it on your box) then this is good, healthy curiosity and an educational pursuit. This is great and we welcome that pursuit.

All I am saying is "THINK BEFORE YOU POST". Thank you.

#2 antirem

antirem

H4x0r

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

I dont think people will follow this.

If you understand enough to say "i need to be able to hack wordpess blog running 1.3.1" then you will not say, "i need to break into my gf/bf's blog"

#3 Infinite51

Infinite51

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

I agree with you 100% StankDawg. The main issue I think many of the younger individual's on these forums do not understand is that the idea of hacking is not causing any damage. For example, I have accessed systems as I’m sure most people on these forums have. However, when doing so I never destroyed any data or document's and always informed the company of the security hole so that they can have adequate time to fix the bug.

I would hate for these idiots to ruin everything the group has built up, do to some child not fully comprehending the legal aspects of what they are attempting to do.

I think it’s also important to note: That federal agency’s access these sites regularly – and the moderator’s have a duty to protect the community’s servers from being pulled down due to a government agency investigation. I’ve known companies and organizations that have had this happen in their data-centers and it really sucks.

#4 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

I completely agree.
Hacking is for intellectual knowledge, hacking is not for physical gain, revenge, popularity, or media attention.
I would much rather be paid to hack something and fix its' vulnerabilities, then hack something and go to prison.

Edited by R4p1d, 18 January 2009 - 04:53 AM.

#5 Newbie

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

... FAIL ...

Its obvious noone gets on google anymore, because the Answer is right there ... Take it from me, you learn more by not doing something then you would attempting something!!! if its revenge or something bad in your thoughts ... Let it go! If its wondering how something works, install a system like thiers, or have a friend do it, and have them give you access to a prive system to test on

umm I think people understood me wrong, I'm sorry again if I gave the wrong question, like I already said I want to learn more stuff, and my main goal isn't about cracking websites,systems and stuff, I just want to learn hacking in general. And I don't have any problems with my gf, (i got her password for myspace) and I'm sure I wouldn't do anything stupid like that just to check if she is cheating on me.

Just Note that I'm not cracker, I want to learn hacking.(Definition is here:http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci212220,00.html)

:huh:
  • SmokinCally likes this

#6 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

I think we should come up with more GOOD question BAD question examples, I found the girlfriend one hilarious. :P

#7 Michaelfox

Michaelfox

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Because it is a common occurance in this forum in particular, I thought that I would post a clarification for anyone who may post here that INTENT is a very important part of your post. Intent is a legal term that shows what your goal is and is similar to a confession (in advance) to what you are trying to accomplish.

I think an example may clarify...

BAD QUESTION:

I want to hack into my ex-girlfriends web site which is a blog that runs WORDPRESS. Can someone tell me how to do this?

GOOD QUESTION:

Does anyone know if wordpress version 1.3.1 has any vulnerabilities?

The reason why these posts are different is the intent of the posts. The first example is a request for assistance in doing something illegal. This is not (necessarily) a statement towards the MORALITY of this action, but more to the LEGALITY of asking here in these forums. By stating your intent, that makes me liable for any actions that may result from the responses posted here. It can be claimed that I not only allowed, but encouraged it by allowing the thread to exist and allow responses to it. This is one of the reasons that we have certain rules.

The second post is better because it does not state any intended purpose. It is a simple question and we do not know what your intent it. I trust that anyone posting like this is doing it for reasons of their own and are probably testing out the security on their own box that they control. I give all users the benefit of the doubt. But if you post something that explicitly states some intent, then the moderating team is forced to take action. I also remind our users to LET THE MODERATORS HANDLE THESE. Do not quote the rules at people because ultimately only the moderators are trained (and yes, they do get training) to be able to intepret this.

Hacking is about exploring. And breaking/hacking wordpress (or anything else) is a valid topic and very much encouraged for discussion. You just have to be doing it for the right reasons. If you are doing it on your box (or assumed to be doing it on your box) then this is good, healthy curiosity and an educational pursuit. This is great and we welcome that pursuit.

All I am saying is "THINK BEFORE YOU POST". Thank you.

Yes i completely agree. Although, at times, there are times where you have to be specific enough for people to help you. Things like "i need to hack my xgf's blog. it runs wordpress" are way too specific but sometimes you have to be specific to be able for people to know your situation enough to be able to help you

#8 nibpunk

nibpunk

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

I agree, but if the intent is truly harmless you should not post viscerally. Hacking and Cracking differ in the fact that one is harmless (Hacking) and one is malicious (cracking).

Edited by nibpunk, 14 January 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

I agree, but if the intent is truly harmless you should not post viscerally. Hacking and Cracking differ in the fact that one is harmless (Hacking) and one is malicious (cracking).

Cracking can be harmless too. If it is done on a computer or on software that YOU OWN.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!