Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Ma Bell (Pat Fleet) agrees to do Asterisk prompt set.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 df99

df99

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

I hope you got Pat to do the "weasels have eaten our phone system" and the various takes of "moo" as well! :D

#22 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

OK -- So am a little more than half way through the core set of Asterisk prompts and thought you all might want to hear how it's going. Yes - we recorded every weird asterisk prompt, including weasles - and many more.

Take a listen - any comment?

Attached Files

Edited by lexlex, 25 August 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#23 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

Sounds pretty darn good. Glad she was willing to do the prompts on the system.

However, either this was a low quality recording, the bass was turned up a bit too much, or she seems to have a deeper voice than she did a number of years ago? Just my take.

#24 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

Well -- it is "low quality" in the sense that it has been converted to lo-fi 8khz for phone use. But if you play it over a phone, it sounds pretty standard.

I think her voice has changed as well. She is getting older, but probably more affecting: she stopped smoking about 4 years ago.

I don't know if it makes that much of a difference, but I hear it too. She's still warm and I think the prompts will be fine, but there was a slight, maple syrupy difference at a pack a day.

The earlier recordings in this thread were made in 1996 - when she was still smoking. They are not converted to 8khz, so will sound great - but if I have some time I'll put together a comparison recording so we can hear the difference.

I am tempted to fold in the older recordings into the prompt set - but it might be too hard to match them. I'll see what I come up with once this first core set is completed.

A

Edited by lexlex, 25 August 2008 - 05:45 PM.

#25 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Are these the Asterisk 1.6 sounds or did you re-word the 1.4 sounds? And how can we get the set split up an named -- i.e. a drop in set of recordings for asterisk?

#26 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Also, assuming the set of Asterisk sounds becomes avalible how can I have Pat record some additional, custom, sounds?

I would need "Thank you for calling XYZ Corp, Please hold while we direct your call" and some other IVR things.

#27 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

These are 1.4 and I did re-word a lot of the prompts.

Yeah, I know - re-wording might piss some people off, but they do fit perfectly in the testing I've done so far. Some of the Asterisk prompts were so badly written: mixed logic, different words for the same thing, and non-standard and/or ridiculously long words used in simple prompts, I just couldn't repeat the mistakes again.

Here's what we're looking at so far:

Pat Fleet prompts will be available starting in about two weeks (during Astricon) - additionally, if you want to record custom prompts using Pat, she will be available to do so via a neat web interface that we're setting up. I'll post more information as it comes available.

IF YOU WANT TO TRY THE ASTERISK SET NOW

Just message me WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS THAT CAN TAKE A 13MB FILE OR AN FTP LOC (plus your email address so I can notify you of updates) - I have the core set done and it's a drop in replacement. Everyone who has tried it so far is stoked at how official their system sounds!

It's beta though - as some prompts are missing (not everything was documented) and I need to get those made - but it works fine. I just need people who are using the various modules to test it and let me know if anything needs adjustment.

If you decide to do this, I just need you guys to not release the beta set until we get all these little things adjusted - then we'll release the final.

ALSO -- as I've gotten this down, I want to do some other sets: Pirate, Ebonics, Announcer Guy, Other any ideas?

Edited by lexlex, 03 September 2008 - 06:41 PM.

#28 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

Off the top of my head the main things that are missing in Asterisk are;

"Your call can not be completed as dialed, please check the number... "
"The number you called is busy"
"Seconds" (it's there but the end is cut off)
"Your call may be monitored or recorded"

Now, some of these are sort of there partially but there's nothing you can splice together to make a professional announcement. I think one that I spliced together was "The number is busy. Goodbye"

It would be nice if you could put together a spreadsheet with 1) filename 2) original text 3) updated text.

I'm not exactly fond of the changes in wording but they seem to be ok.

#29 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

This I have. I will have a complete change list of everything that was done - along with rationale - in a spreadsheet. Additions above and beyond what's currently in core or extra sounds will either be in a new package or somehow added to extra. I have to talk with some Asterisk guys to see the best way to go about this.

Most of my changes are just fixing grammatical or logic errors - it really makes a difference when installed. We'll get around to reporting them as bugs and re-recording Allison's propmts as well. I just don't think anyone with a background in this has ever really looked at the thing as a whole.

L

#30 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

One change I really would like is in the voicemail it should say "Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice messaging system"{NUMBER or recorded name} ....

Vs "the person at extension" 123 ... OR
{recorded name} "is on the phone"

#31 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Awesome! If anyone wants to hear the Asterisk voicemail app in action with the Pat Fleet voice you can call +1.305.7760334.

#32 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

OK -- very close to being done with the extra sounds. Here is an amusing BLOOPER where Ma Bell gets introduced to the gamer world!

Attached Files

Edited by lexlex, 06 September 2008 - 03:35 PM.

#33 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

That's funny. I wish I could have seen the reaction on her face... ("What the ...?") :D

#34 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:56 AM

DONE!!

Alright boys and girls, the set is done and now in testing. We're set to release during Astricon in about 10 days. I'll put a link here once its hosted.

In the meantime, to give you an idea of what it sounds like, this particular Asterisk prompt is pretty funny and is something you've never heard on the PSTN. Lemme know what you think!

Lex

Attached Files

#35 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

In the meantime, to give you an idea of what it sounds like, this particular Asterisk prompt is pretty funny and is something you've never heard on the PSTN. Lemme know what you think!

I'm glad that Pat has a good sense of humor to record that. I'm sure she's thought of saying that but was never allowed to! :)

Hang up, drive to the store, buy a Touch Tone phone, take it home, and plug it in. I do have a rotary phone, but only as a collectable that sits on the shelf (it's a Trimline phone I got at a flea market). But in 2008, you'd hope that 99% of folks have a Touch Tone phone now!

#36 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

That is funny!!! drive to the store... the one with buttons on it... LOL for realsies!

Can you ask her to make some funny answering machine messages we could put on our local machines?

#37 lexlex

lexlex

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Well, it took about 6 months - but they're here!

Go to:

scrumption.com

to get your set.

Flowroute, a SIP provider, generously agreed to host.

It truly all happened through BinRev, so thanks guys and girls for your support!

AK

#38 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

Very nice!

Did any prompts change since the "beta" versions?

#39 nwbell

nwbell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Dude... this is normally the part where I wake up ;)

Finally got a chance to download the package and give a listen, and it's absolutely awesome! I immediately went to work implementing it on my Asterisk box here at the office. And since I came up short a couple phrases, I threw a few bucks at FlowRoute to have some custom reading done.

I just can't get over the sheer awesome-ness of this. It took me several hours of scanning, recording, and editing just to get a complete set of numbers in Pat's voice a year ago... and now I have that, plus plus plus plus plus, without having to do any footwork whatsoever.

lexlex, thanks a million for making this extreme leetness possible.

#40 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

Just wanted to point out an error, it seems to be in the final but not the beta

sounds/letters/at.ulaw or at.g729 really should be at sounds/digits/at.ulaw or at.g729

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!