Photo
- - - - -

Broadcom Wifi and aircrack

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jstar

jstar

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

I have a hp lappy that came with vista on it, im in the process of moving over to linux but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone knows of any modified broadcom drivers that will allow aircrack to work under vista, or alsp xp as im going to dual boot xp with whatever linux flavor i decide on. Basically I need to be able to use aircrack to just get a capture under vista, if anyone knows of a alternate program or method to do this let me know, im open to all suggestions, thanks.

#2 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

aircrack would, as far as I know, have to be ported as it relies on system calls that are not part of ANSI C or in windows. There is the airpcap proprietary driver thing that you can pay a fuckton of money for but there is no guarantee that it will work or do what you want. It is however something you can look into if you have some money to spend.

#3 BlackHatter

BlackHatter

I have the Phreak Phactor

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:45 AM

Broadcom based driver card are really not good for hacking If I where I would get another card. Ralink based driver cards are good or Atheros based cards.
I use a Linksys WUSB54GC it works good for me.

Edited by BlackHatter, 15 February 2008 - 01:49 AM.

#4 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

ralink cards are awesome because they are an open source card which supports master mode and injection but does the radio work all in hardware unlike atheros so you'll generally have better battery life while running them. Not to mention you generally get better distance with them unless you do some hacking to the atheros based cards.

#5 friendless

friendless

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

airpcap proprietary driver thing that you can pay a fuckton of money for

Is one of the best options if you're going to go for attempting anything like this on VISTA

However if you go that route or other routes that are very similiar as said you're going to be spending most likley around $500-$1000

When you can just remain on a *nix based and spend about 50 dollars buy a RALINK USB 802.11g card, open the case/shell, take the card out and replace it with a fake USB connector that's elmer glued inside to look half-way real. Go back to wal-mart on a busy saturday weekend and return it and be like, " IT NO WORKIE! " and get your 50 dollars back for a free WIFI card... although that's fraud... and not suggested on these forums!

#6 seven

seven

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

Broadcom based driver card are really not good for hacking If I where I would get another card. Ralink based driver cards are good or Atheros based cards.
I use a Linksys WUSB54GC it works good for me.

I'm sorry lol. This is a really big pet peve for me haha, but it's "...works well for me". lol.Sorry!!! i'm a bookworm!!!!

#7 BlackHatter

BlackHatter

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

I failed freshman lang 3 times but passed sophmore and junior language at the same time with A's. weird

Edited by BlackHatter, 15 February 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#8 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

WildPackets supplies a driver for broadcom wireless cards tat support monitor mode in windows. It however does not support injection in windows.

As far as I know, there is only one way to get injection working with a broadcom card in windows.

#9 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

The aircrack website specifically tells you which chipsets and cards are able to do what in each os.

#10 jstar

jstar

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the info, like I said though, I do plan on moving from vista, I'm just looking into everything that it will take to get everything working as quick as possible when I make the move to *nix. I don't want to get everything formatted and partitioned and go through the initial build and config and then have to spend 3 days tracking down drivers to make things work. Is there any form of a mini pci card that I could get to replace the broadcom chipset in the laptop?

#11 BlackHatter

BlackHatter

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

What lunux do you want to go to I know that ubuntu 7.10 is easy to install you just resize your windows partition and in ubuntu you can use the rest of the free space thats not being used.

#12 jstar

jstar

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yeah I have used ubuntu and kubuntu ( i prefer kde for some reason over gnome) But I dont know what I want to install on the laptop, I was something that I can get full functionality out of, I was thinking about fedora or maybe suse. I had suse up and running on it once but I couldn't get the graphics card to be recognized properly, I could only get it to work with the generic vesa driver its a geforce go 7150. I know there is support for it probably, I just havent really looked into it much as I haven't had much time to and Im just starting to peruse it now. I was thinking about just using backtrack or some other security and annalisys oriented distro but I haven't been able to get one to work properly with the laptop.

#13 seven

seven

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

Please don't install any live cd onto your harddrive. I have some ideas if you want to transition slowly to *nix

either Dual boot ( i'm sure you thought of this ) this way if anything happens, you can log into that virus, i mean windows and look up solutions.

Or, you can install virtual box under windows and install linux in that to see how compatible everything is.

Good luck to you! fight the next stalin...mr.gates.

#14 BlackHatter

BlackHatter

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

I have backtrack 3 on my laptop but all I do is wireless hacking and you shoud just put backtrack on usb here is a howto:

http://maddhat.com/?p=16

#15 jstar

jstar

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

Please don't install any live cd onto your harddrive. I have some ideas if you want to transition slowly to *nix

either Dual boot ( i'm sure you thought of this ) this way if anything happens, you can log into that virus, i mean windows and look up solutions.

Or, you can install virtual box under windows and install linux in that to see how compatible everything is.

Good luck to you! fight the next stalin...mr.gates.

Good call, thats why I have already used vmware and played with fedora and suse on my desktop and I Always dual boot atleast 2 o/s's generally. right now im just looking for something else to add as my second os that will work well with this lappy as fedora blew and suse i just didnt really like for some reason. I want to find some sort of a linux distro thats oriented around security on laptops specifically. and I am going to try the backtrack on a usb stick as i haven't done that yet so that should be perfect :) but I still want something right on the lappy locally. you guys are great as far as replying goes. :) awesome answers.

#16 jstar

jstar

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

I have backtrack 3 on my laptop but all I do is wireless hacking and you shoud just put backtrack on usb here is a howto:

http://maddhat.com/?p=16

Dont know if you ever saw this but this is a even easier way to do it.
http://linuxnewb.wor...track-3-on-usb/

#17 GONZO

GONZO

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

Its the same thing.

#18 jstar

jstar

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Its the same thing.

Yeah it definatly is now that I actually go read it. It just looked like more steps and i knew i had seen one reffering to bt3 that looked smaller, I guess the one for bt2 was just broken up better. My bad, that will teach me to skim things ha. :lol:

#19 jstar

jstar

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

So I got bt3, booted the laptop up with the disc in the drive (just burnt the iso onto a dvd.) And it wont finish booting. Basically the screen just goes black.. and when I press the power button it gives me the screen where it is recognizing everything but it goes to the floppy portion (i dont have a floppy drive) and thats where it hangs. Is there a switch i can use to make this work?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!