• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

I'm thinking of getting a laser printer.

First off, it will be used to printout a few multi-hundred page PDFs. I want it to print double sided so I can make reference 'books' (really three ring binders)
Second, Someday I might like to make some PC boards and have read where there is a transfer method that uses laser printer print outs. That sounds interesting but is not a requirement.

I've seen this... http://www.amazon.co...x/dp/B000BQ535K. It looks promising.

Anyone have any experience with this printer? Know of any 'gotchas' that I need to know about? Know of a better one for similar cash?

It won't be used alot... just really heavy for 300 or so pages at a time, then pretty much it'll be sitting idle until I get some other half-cocked idea to run with.

btw: Compatibility with Linux would be nice.

#2 revebo

revebo

mad 1337

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

You should be more than okay with that printer.. The more expensive ones are geared towards heavy to extensive usage for offices..

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:55 AM

Check out the local state surplus auctions, which should be around any major state university. I've picked up LaserJet 4000's with full toner and JetDirect cards for $30 at ours. Even the color laser printers don't go very high.

For the circuit board transfers, any laser printer should work. It depends more on the type of paper you use for the transfers (I've heard of people using gloss photo paper and glossy magazine pages, like National Geographic or similar).

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Auctions.. Never considered those and for $30 or so bucks it'd be worth it for the scrap parts if nothing else.

Was reading through the specs on that printer I was looking at, and see it draws 600w at full load. Is high wattage the norm for laser printers?

#5 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

I went ahead and got that printer.. (Brother 5250DN laser) pretty nice. hooks up... the 600 watt draw isn't an issue. The only problem I really had was it didn't want to print certain PDF files.. after digging round it seems to not like pdf pages with images in it.. Then after more digging I found it may be a bug with evince and not the printer because if ya try printing via command line...

lpr filename.pdf

No problems... the thing is churning out a manual like there is no tomorrow..

and the duplex is working great... (duplex no tumble)

odd smell though... gotta get used to that ionization odor... & damn those pages come out pretty warm.. toasty.. and am I hallucinating or can I taste the toner in the air?? kinda metalic

Just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone else has any problems.

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with the printer hooked up the parallel port.

All together I am happy with it.. now to find some pre-punched 3 hole paper...

#6 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, enough printing and you can taste either the ozone or the toner!

I was having problems with printing PDFs under Debian to the office LaserJet 4000 printer, and remedied it by installing the cupsys-bsd package, routing all the printing through lp/lpr. I guess it's the same as doing it manually, as you did -- if you use an app like xpdf, it lets you specify the print command, too.

High current draw is always a problem with laser printers -- most UPS's have a warning against inductive loads and laser printers.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!