• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thecriscoking

thecriscoking

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Got a quick question, i know its possible to boot from a USB drive. But how would i go about doing that? I would like to put DSL on a flash drive and boot it through a MacBook. I'm not sure if Macs have some kind of BIOS, whether or not its another name or how to access it.

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

AFAIK Macs will only boot from firewire drives. To do so you hold down T while booting. Try it with USB it may work, not sure. They will also boot from Bootp. TFTP, or over the network.

Forgot to mention holding down option key will display all bootable disks. That would be your best bet I think.

Newer MAcs do not have a BIOS they use EFI or EMI (forgot the Acronym).

Edited by tekio, 30 January 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#3 Strofcon

Strofcon

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

I thought holding "T" while booting would put the Mac in target mode, ie: your mac becomes a external firewire hard drive. I'll have to try it on mine later (once the wife gives it back) to double-check though.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

I'm not sure about the boot-from-USB on a Mac either...I do know for a fact that booting from FireWire works. I booted an iBook G3 (courtesy tekio, actually) from an IDE DVD-ROM drive (the iBook G3 only has a CD-ROM drive) in a FireWire enclosure -- to do this, I held the Option key while powering on the iBook, and after a bit of probing, a boot device selector screen came up, showing both the internal CD-ROM drive, and the FireWire DVD-ROM -- installation worked perfectly (OS X 10.4).

everymac.com suggests that booting a MacBook Pro from USB does work, but that you need to have the drive formatted in a special manner...I don't know if this holds true for USB flash disks:

http://www.everymac....-usb-drive.html

#5 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

I thought holding "T" while booting would put the Mac in target mode, ie: your mac becomes a external firewire hard drive. I'll have to try it on mine later (once the wife gives it back) to double-check though.

You are correct. I was going off the top of my head. To boot from an external it is CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE

Edited by tekio, 30 January 2008 - 09:51 PM.

#6 thecriscoking

thecriscoking

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

But if I format my flash drive in GTP format then wouldn't that kill the whole idea of having DSL on it?

#7 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

But if I format my flash drive in GTP format then wouldn't that kill the whole idea of having DSL on it?

When you say DSL I'm assuming you mean Damn Small Linux, is that correct? If so I do not think it will boot because the mac doesn't have a standard BIOS it uses EMI (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). It will not boot on an older mac because they use the PPC architecture.

#8 thecriscoking

thecriscoking

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

Yes, Damn Small Linux is correct. So is there anyway to boot another OS on Mac Books running OS X?

#9 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

Yes, Damn Small Linux is correct. So is there anyway to boot another OS on Mac Books running OS X?

Yes, bootcamp will do the job. Here is a google with hits of booting Linux in boot camp:
http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Not sure, but I think apple may have took down the d\l page for boot camp since the release of leopard. PM me if you can't find a boot camp download, I'll hook you up with it.

#10 thecriscoking

thecriscoking

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

Lol, they didn't quite shut it down. Their now selling it. But thanks alot bro, I got it. Thank everyone for your help.

#11 thecriscoking

thecriscoking

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Is there anyway to do this through USB on a Mac. The Mac I wanna boot DSL onto isn't mine.

#12 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:45 AM

OK, I tried and could not boot from usb on my macbook pro. However, the live CD will boot and run with no problems at all. I tested both the live CD of DSL and Ubuntu 7.01 live CD.

#13 thecriscoking

thecriscoking

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

Perfect, thats completely fine. So its CTRL + OPT + SHIFT + DEL correct? or have I read wrong?

#14 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:31 AM

Hold the option key, it will bring up a boot menu.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!