17 replies to this topic

#1 knownothing

knownothing

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi ! guys.
I have a Back track .iso file , I tried to burn it to CD by Nero but it didnt work.

#2 rainwater_stillicide

rainwater_stillicide

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

You'll need to be more specific about what bit of it didnt work.

Did the CD burn but not work? Did the CD burning software crash?

If I had to guess what the problem is though it would be that you burned the .iso file to the disc (using the 'create data disc' option or something similar) instead of burning the image it contains to the disc. If you open Nero SmartStart there should be a 'Burn Image to Disc' option in there somewhere. Use that and select the .iso as the image.

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

This is a fairly handy Windows utility when dealing with ISOs:

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

It's a "Power Toy" for Windows XPSP2/2003/Vista that adds right-click burning support for ISO files.

Nero can in fact burn ISOs, but you need to open the ISO as a saved disc image (you'll probably have to change the file type in the open dialog) -- you can't just burn the file onto a CD.

#4 knownothing

knownothing

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

sorry for that..
I used CD-rom (ISo) in Nero, after I finished in burning , I inserted CD and The cd didnt automatically run. I had to go to My computer to open Cd . What i got just was all files ..nothing to do with them.
I found out that i need to install freedos 'cause back track requires to run on Dos. Unfortunately freedos didnt help me to run back track . Any clue to help me out ?

#5 FPSED

FPSED

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

I think your confused. It sounds like the burning did exactly what it was ment to do, but your going about running it the totally wrong way :roll:

Put the CD in your drive, and restart. Load up your BIOs settings by pressing the required key, eg f12, f1, f2, delete, and set your boot order for the CD first and the hard disk second. Then continue to boot, and BackTrack will load. The idea behind a live CD is for it to be an operating system actually provided rather than needing to run it through something like Windows. ^_^

#6 knownothing

knownothing

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

I think your confused. It sounds like the burning did exactly what it was ment to do, but your going about running it the totally wrong way rolleyes.gif

Put the CD in your drive, and restart. Load up your BIOs settings by pressing the required key, eg f12, f1, f2, delete, and set your boot order for the CD first and the hard disk second. Then continue to boot, and BackTrack will load. The idea behind a live CD is for it to be an operating system actually provided rather than needing to run it through something like Windows. happy.gif

Thanks guy !!
Your info absolutely helped me out. I really confused how to run back track.. Thanks a lot.

#7 Infinite51

Infinite51

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

I am debating running backtrack from the CD or from a 1-2 GIG USB Flash Drive.

Does anyone have experience using the tools from a USB device and what are the benefits.?

It theory it would seem to me that the tools would be more flexible, because you can save files to the image.

#8 biosphear

biosphear

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

Download DeepBurn. Here is the download

Install DeepBurn.

Open DeepBurn.

Select Burn ISO.

Find your ISO on your computer.

Select the ISO

Burn to CD

You have your CD.

It is really easy. I use DeepBurn all the time.

Good Luck. :voteyes:

biosphear

Also here is a link on how to install BackTrack. PDF on how to install BackTrack

#9 biosphear

biosphear

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

I am debating running backtrack from the CD or from a 1-2 GIG USB Flash Drive.

Does anyone have experience using the tools from a USB device and what are the benefits.?

It theory it would seem to me that the tools would be more flexible, because you can save files to the image.

I have done it.

Pros:
Faster
Smother
Faster Install in you install BackTrack from the USB to Hard Drive.

Cons.
Some computers have bad USB ports.
Easy to lose, bummer to replace.
Will not match your other live CDs. :D

I loved it. But you still have to burn it to a disk then install it on your Flash Drive.

I used a 4GB Drive to install the full version.

I also used a 2GB to use as the Live version.

I liked it. But I have Backtrack on one of my laptops so i did not use my Flash Drive that long.

Later,

biosphear

#10 Alk3

Alk3

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

I have backtrack 3 on a bootable SD card for my Asus EEE PC.

#11 whitehunter

whitehunter

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

I am trying to create a live cd of backtrack2. I am using Nero 8 and everytime that I try to burn the ISO I get a completed process through Nero, but the Disk seems to be empty. I have used the burn Image function and it has allowed me to select the BT2Final ISO image. I have used the lowest possible burning speed, and I have checked the MD5 checksum. Any advice would be appreciated.

#12 GONZO

GONZO

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Go to these site they help alot
www.forums.remote-exploit.org

and this one I help alot there www.infinityexists.com

#13 whitehunter

whitehunter

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

I am trying to create a live cd of backtrack2. I am using Nero 8 and everytime that I try to burn the ISO I get a completed process through Nero, but the Disk seems to be empty. I have used the burn Image function and it has allowed me to select the BT2Final ISO image. I have used the lowest possible burning speed, and I have checked the MD5 checksum. Any advice would be appreciated.

I finally figured out how to create the live cd. One Nero 8 you open smart start and click on the tab labeled backup. Then you click on copy disk, Then you select the Image you would like to copy, and click Burn. Just thought I would put this up for anyone who ran into the same problems that I had. Also wanted to thank GONZO for the advice, I will check the sites you mentioned.

#14 GONZO

GONZO

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

If you have a 1gig or more flashdrive just add the folders in backtrack to the usb open command prompt make the directory to your cd flashdrive

(letterofdrive):
cd boot
bootinst.bat
hope this helps have quistions just post.

#15 revebo

revebo

mad 1337

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

It sounds like you merely burned the .iso to a cd/Dvd as a .iso.. Use the open image option and make sure it is burning the .iso into the format that it will decompress into a full image at. Also if you are in windows you can use programs like magic iso , UltraISO, or even Microsoft as a Virtual Image Mounting program. Set the drive to a free letter aka one that is not being used.. Lets say H:\ and then it will ask for the disk image and you point the directory to the location of your ISO image. That way it will at least validate if you downloaded the correct filesize and image of the Linux distro. What I would recommend is using parallels workstation 3.22 (Yes they make a windows ver) and then making a Virtual Machine that will allow you to load a disk image in the same way.. By doing this, you will skip on having to reboot your current box, and get a run down on getting the ISO to work, but when using a VM always think of it like splitting your currrent machine in half (speed, ram etc) because you are loading two Os's in the same enviroment .

#16 southern76

southern76

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well it is not possible to actually burn the .iso to a cd because backtrack 5 is 1.9gb and all cd's can only go up to 700mb. So you either use a 2gb dvd or a 8gb usb thumbdrive. But if you use a usb, then instead of the iso, you need to get the image file to boot off of. Both the thumb drive and the and dvd are not too expensive... hope this helps you out:)

#17 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Well, back in 2008 it was still SLAX based and fit on a CD. That meant you could use the ISO for the flash drive install as well. But yeah, it's way too big for a CD nowadays.

I'm finding that I almost never used optical media for live distro boot nowadays. Flash drives are just way too cheap and versatile to deal with easily damaged disks. I pick up the bargain bin flash drives from Big Lots when I need new live distro/installer drives since they've become so cheap.

#18 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Get at least 16GB flashdrive. You'll need to update backtrack once installed onto it and keep running out of room with an 8GB (from experience).
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

But like glitch stated, ROM (CD, DVD, or BluRay) is too slow and cannot be updated once burnt. There are A LOT of updates on Backtrack that are only released into the repositories. They cannot change the ISO every time a minor update is released. But minor updates do add up over time.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!