4 replies to this topic

#1 volsung

volsung

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 10:25 AM

Hello,
I'm new to this message board and I just wanted to say hey to all the loyal folks out there. I used to post a bit on the Hackermind boards, so I think I met Stankdawg there. Anyway, I broadcast a Summer radio show dealing with (surprise) hacking and Information Security. It's local to the Cincinnati area, but we will be streaming it again this year if I get the airtime.
Great site. I'll be back after I read some more of these articles...
late,
Volsung
www.academicunderground.org

#2 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 02:43 PM

Hey

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 03:41 PM

Volsung and I have chatted through email. I think some of you may remember him.

He had the hacking show in the Cincy area, but they were having some problems with recording and such. Hopefully, he will be getting it going again soon.

Keep us informed!

#4 volsung

volsung

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 04:06 PM

Hey all,
I think there are still some archives of the show on www.academicunderground.org, however only two of the shows are worth listening to (the others are very difficult to hear). We were working with some VERY old equipment, and our laptop had a finiky sound card as well. Those things compounded to cause us a lot of headaches. Plus I had to run the show, which was a big task - this was a "real" radio station, with two full studios and a pretty decent transmitting tower. Logging is a pain in the ass, too...however don't let me convince you that it wasn't a blast, cause it was.
The show was a great opportunity for us as a community (i.e., hackers) because we were broadcasting over the public airwaves, on a local FM station. By the end, we had a few listeners, and most weren't hackers (oddly enough).
I faced some backlash due to the nature of the show, but unlike the Internet, public radio is heavily-guarded by our weakening civil rights. Dunno why the Internet seems to be exempt from many of those protections, but as long as you aren't running pirate Big Brother tends to leave you alone (oh yeah, don't cuss too often either).
By the way, I have very little against pirate radio, in fact my choice of "legit" radio was purely for the opportunity to reach lots of listeners. I think the FCC should protect only certain safety/emergency/military bands and let us broadcast what we want to our hearts' content. But that is a bit idyllic, I suppose...
Anyway, good to be aboard. I hope to get to know y'all better over time. Good day,
-Volsung

#5 kleptic

kleptic

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:28 AM

welcome to the board dude.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!