• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

For various reasons, I find the concept of the "old school" h/p/a BBS to be very appealing, and I was wondering if any significant number of these systems still exist via dial-up or telnet in the U.S. Are there any sysop Binrev members? I live in 303, specifically...

#2 deadwax

deadwax

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:23 AM

Modem BBSes still exist, but are hard to find. You can view a list of BBses at http://www.usbbs.org. I'm not sure how up-to-date that list is, though.

#3 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:32 AM

There are some you can telnet into to also... they have the same look and feel of the old school... w/o the LD bill...
google around for them... might take ya a while to find a current list... be patient.

#4 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Yes, I am fond of and I do frequent telnet BBS systems. USBBS is nice, but it does not list any "underground" BBSs, which is what I was getting at. Plus, the list is somewhat oudated. Nonetheless, it is a nice tool, although my question still stands regarding hacker/phreak BBSs and sysop Binrev members.

Edited by The Philosopher, 19 December 2007 - 06:05 PM.

#5 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm fairly confident underground bbses don't exist anymore. Honestly there is no need and things like silc are a much better system for communication as well as being much more secure.

#6 gloomer

gloomer

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'm fairly confident underground bbses don't exist anymore. Honestly there is no need and things like silc are a much better system for communication as well as being much more secure.

I didn't know anything like silc existed.

Thanks!

#7 hexahubris

hexahubris

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

hackcanada has a list up thats fairly recent. check them out. i was trying to start a modem BBS a while back, but i cant afford the extra line right now. maybe when i get out of college. im thinking of maybe getting a telnet BBS up and running though.

#8 Lugner

Lugner

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

But think of the nostalgia! When was the last time you heard modem noise?

#9 DeadlyCypher

DeadlyCypher

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

I know a few private, underground systems that are still run on the PSTN... Nothing public, though. Assuming you live in the US, why not try the US BBS website @ here?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!