34 replies to this topic

#21 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

Hey Purple-Jesus

Thanks for letting me/us know you got the book. I'm always nervous when shipping stuff. Now I'm nervous about whether you'll like it or not.

Thanks again to everyone who went by my site to scoop up a copy.

#22 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hey Purple-Jesus

Thanks for letting me/us know you got the book. I'm always nervous when shipping stuff. Now I'm nervous about whether you'll like it or not.

Thanks again to everyone who went by my site to scoop up a copy.

I liked it... couldn't put it down. There were moments that remind me of my school days.. phucking bullies.. .. though I never gave a 'perticular' guy a $3000 dollar phone bill... I don't know who had that honor... heh... random wires pulled through a can... heh... 3 day alliance teleconference... heh Maybe someday you could do one where the phreaks are out canning on the side of a hill on a cold country night bathed in the green glow of an old laptop... not that I ever would do such a thing ;) well.. certainly not now...I'd bring a blanket or tarp to hide the light under... heh... We even used the frame wire they left in the can to run down the hill... I won't say were we got the line-thief gater clips.. Doubt the statue of limitation is over on that one... Sometimes I miss being a juvenile.

The guys getting chased after the dumpster diving remind me of when a phellow phreak and I got pulled over by a cop after we raided a dumpster... He never asked why two long haired stoner looking dudes had 5 bags of trash in the back of a 79 Firebird at 11:30 at night.. told me to fix my headlight and sent us on our merry way... Hearts still racing.. but oh man what a rush. btw:if you smell coffee grinds.. leave that one alone.. the smell only gets worse when you find the rotten half-eaten sandwich or that milk carton.

I remember the autodialer from radio shack.. but I was too broke to buy one and build it.. but the cassette tape red box did work like a champ so long as you were on an AT&T payphone. Was a bit phucked when the operator heard the tape started in the middle of a quarter but ya learn.. new tape with longer delay between quarters... not that I would know that either.. ;)

I like it.. Keep up the work man..

If I may make one suggestion... When the mail man put it in my mail box I had to 'fold' it to get it out (small apartment box, wouldn't pass the 'door frame/hinge crap')... could you put the book in the next envelopes you send out so that if it has to be 'rolled' up to get it out.. the spine stays safe? I know it's a minor bitch.. but all's good.

Let me know when the next one comes out...

#23 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:21 AM

Phew. Thats a relief. Thanks for the seal of approval, Purple_Jesus! It's a load off of my shoulders. I hope everybody else who grabbed the book digs it too.

There's a few left for those interested!

Wizzywig vol.1: PHREAK

#24 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:23 AM

Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?

Alice Robertson (m. 1980, div.) - wife of Steve Wozniak

#25 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:04 AM

Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?

Alice Robertson (m. 1980, div.) - wife of Steve Wozniak

Yeah, I never knew they dressed up as charactors from Alice In Wonderland... So the Woz ended up with a real Alice?? Funny how the world works. & I guess it gives credit to Ed's art skills... Clued me in w/o me even knowing what the hell I was seeing.

#26 kizzle

kizzle

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:40 AM

To promote this on the internet you need a ware of some sort that can linked to and spread around. Instead of having random sample pages, include the first chapter for free. Or pick out the chapter(s) you think will grab people's interest the most and do that. Then from there you can get smaller sites/blogs/podcasts to mention it then hopefully it will get picked up by some of the bigger sites like digg and reddit. Get people hooked and they'll buy it to see the rest.

Oh yeah, Stumbleupon is a great way to get some exposer quickly. http://www.stumbleupon.com/

#27 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:47 AM

Oh yeah, Stumbleupon is a great way to get some exposer quickly. <a href="http://www.stumbleupon.com/" target="_blank">http://www.stumbleupon.com/</a>

Good idea... I just threw my stumbled thumbs up for it... Stumbleupon alread knew of it's existence... so it's just a matter of time before you piss off your server ;)

Edited by PurpleJesus, 24 December 2007 - 06:48 AM.

#28 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the Stumpleupon thumbs up! And kizzle, thanks for spreading the word a bit too. Some really influential and iconic people in the hacker world have been picking the book up recently. It's pretty amazing since this is a completely grassroots effort relying completely on word of mouth. I can't believe some of the people who ordered the book. It's very exciting. Some popular podcast/vidcasts are going to be doing reviews of the book and I just got contacted by some people from a few major media venues to do interviews and/or they're gonna do a review. Unbelievable.

I'm working hard on volume 2 as I write this and I just thought of something that might be cool, and a way that I can show some appreciation and throw some props to the guys who bought/buy the book. I really value your support so much and its making the next volumes possible!

Here are the first few pages to volume 2
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

PURPLEJESUS, because you were the most vocal in telling me your feelings after reading the book you can get first dibs on who you want your handle to replace on these pages.

Here's the offer: the first 10 people to buy or who bought the book can send me an email with the subject reading "Handle", include your handle and I will replace the names of the characters in these pages with your own screenname. You can make a request on which character you'd like your name to be attached but the spot may be taken and I'll have to put it in elsewhere at my discretion.

When the 10 slots go for this I will try my best to put the other names elsewhere throughout the book. Your name may appear as a handle for a bbs user, graffiti on a wall, the name on a vanity license plate, etc.

If the orders are staggering I'm going to do the above for as many as possible plus put together a section in the book highlighting and thanking you guys for picking the novel up.

I don't know how meaningful this is to anyone but its my way of thanking the guys who already bought the graphic novel, and maybe it will be incentive enough for you to scoop one up if you didn't grab one yet! I want my audience to be smart, unconventional, tech savvy, people with a hacker mentality and what better way for me to thank you than to drop your name personally in the next one?!

CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR COPY NOW!

My email address is at the site. Write "Handle" as the subject of the email and I will get busy making these changes and I will compile notes on who to include in my tale.

#29 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

PURPLEJESUS, because you were the most vocal in telling me your feelings after reading the book you can get first dibs on who you want your handle to replace on these pages.

Here's the offer: the first 10 people to buy or who bought the book can send me an email with the subject reading "Handle", include your handle and I will replace the names of the characters in these pages with your own screenname. You can make a request on which character you'd like your name to be attached but the spot may be taken and I'll have to put it in elsewhere at my discretion.

When the 10 slots go for this I will try my best to put the other names elsewhere throughout the book. Your name may appear as a handle for a bbs user, graffiti on a wall, the name on a vanity license plate, etc.

If the orders are staggering I'm going to do the above for as many as possible plus put together a section in the book highlighting and thanking you guys for picking the novel up.

I don't know how meaningful this is to anyone but its my way of thanking the guys who already bought the graphic novel, and maybe it will be incentive enough for you to scoop one up if you didn't grab one yet! I want my audience to be smart, unconventional, tech savvy, people with a hacker mentality and what better way for me to thank you than to drop your name personally in the next one?!

CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR COPY NOW!

My email address is at the site. Write "Handle" as the subject of the email and I will get busy making these changes and I will compile notes on who to include in my tale.

Cool man... cool.. I'll shoot ya an email.

#30 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

Did you post it on Digg? That would help bringing some attention to the comic. Plus, you could allow people to buy the comic online and read it in - let's say - pdfs, so that they wouldn't have to pay for the shipping.

#31 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

Hey Kizzle. I have to thank you for spreading the word,man. I'm getting a lot of slashdot traffic over at my site and Jason@Textfiles wrote an awesome review on the book. Check it out here:
ASCII By Jason Scott

I also took the advise of a lot of you guys on the forums here and I have the first half of the book online for you to read. Theres a link for it: HERE

#32 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Let us know when you're done with Volume 2 and put me down for a copy.

#33 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

I was just read the first half. I'll be ordering soon. I agree with Jason's review wholeheartedly.

I posted this to reddit. I hope it does well for you.

http://reddit.com/info/64nyu/comments/

#34 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:14 AM

Here's another review of the Wizzywig book over at the daily crosshatch

Check it out here.

#35 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hey guys!

Somebody linked to Wizzywig on Digg.com

If you got the book and are into it, I'd appreciate your digg over there! I really thank you guys for all the help in spreading the word on this little project of mine.

"Digg" it over here!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!