• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'm a professional cartoonist and have become very interested in hacking/phreaking culture. I don't claim to be a hacker but I've been studying and exploring this really cool world.

Anyhow I put this book together
Wizzywig vol1: PHREAK
Posted Image

I'm exclusively distributing it from my website and comic fans seem to dig it but I injected so many little references and factual things that are sooo over their heads and it frustrates me. I'm not sure if anybody here is into comics but I wanted to bring my book to your attention. I'd appreciate your support even if it just means spreading the word

Here are some sample pages. The page below has Steve Jobs and Wozniak selling blue boxes while they were finished working as Alice in Wonderland characters at the local mall.
Posted Image
Posted Image
and here the main character mods a red box
Posted Image
Posted Image

There are more examples at the site too. I would love your support on this project. There's a lot more story to tell and I'd love to have an audience that would understand the information presented.

Wizzywig vol1: PHREAK

Thanks so much for your time!

#2 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?

#3 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were working as costume party characters for children birthday parties.

Anyway, the comic is nice, it's also good to hear that people outside of the hacker culture can understand what it's about.

#4 C'thulhu

C'thulhu

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

Angolina Jolie or Carrie Ann Moss. Take your pick!! :lol:

#5 snapple

snapple

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

I'll take a look at it in a few and report back

#6 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

Do you think you guys can give me some idea where I can publicize this a bit?

The main character is a composite of many famous hackers including Kevin Poulsen and I just sent him a copy at Wired Magazine.

Anywhere else that you can think of off the top?

Thanks to everybody who grabbed copies too. I will ship them tomorrow (monday) no matter how crappy it is here in pittsburgh.

#7 hexahubris

hexahubris

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

maybe 2600 would be down with this?

http://www.2600.com/

#8 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

Yeah man. I'm sending Emmanuel Goldstein a copy for sure because there is a signifigant character that is based on him. The characters name is "winston smith" for those who get it.

#9 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Hard to choose... I'll go with Carrie... Something about her I just like more...

But it looks pretty cool, the comic. I'd just ordered a copy... Never looked through a graphic novel before, unless you count the Garfield book at the dentist, yet somehow I think, that's not in this league.

I know nothing of comic books.. but I'm giving it a shot...

As to suggestions: Wonder if 2600 would be interested in it? or Make magazine..

#10 hexahubris

hexahubris

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

wasnt he the other dude from 1984?

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

wasnt he the other dude from 1984?

If you are referring to "Winston Smith", he is the main character from 1984. :roll:

#12 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hard to choose... I'll go with Carrie... Something about her I just like more...

But it looks pretty cool, the comic. I'd just ordered a copy... Never looked through a graphic novel before, unless you count the Garfield book at the dentist, yet somehow I think, that's not in this league.

Hey Purplejesus...thanks for grabbing a copy. Is the address on your paypal accurate? Please email me and let me know.

Winston Smith is the main character in 1984 btw.

#13 hexahubris

hexahubris

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

yeah, never read the book, woke up like 3/4 of the way through the movie, didnt know wtf was going on lol.

#14 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

I'm about to read more on your site - I love what I see so far! The style is very cool, and I'm most definitely down with the rotor phone on the cover.

As for publicizing... you could always throw samples up on IRC. And why not get in touch with local werido stuff? I always peep the Harvard Lampoon for my dose of counter culture. Do you have a street team for when/if you publish? I'm sure comic book store owners would be glad to check it out.

Keep us posted!

#15 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

I might just have to get one of these.

#16 Ed Piskor

Ed Piskor

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'm about to read more on your site - I love what I see so far! The style is very cool, and I'm most definitely down with the rotor phone on the cover.

As for publicizing... you could always throw samples up on IRC. And why not get in touch with local werido stuff? I always peep the Harvard Lampoon for my dose of counter culture. Do you have a street team for when/if you publish? I'm sure comic book store owners would be glad to check it out.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the props, Maxx. I did print and publish the book and I'm handling all the orders and stuff myself. Comic fans seem to dig it but I know for a fact that most of it is way over their heads and that's why i'm interested in bringing it straight to everyones attention here myself.

Looking over this forum it became real apparent that you guys would know what I was talking about.

Once again, thanks for your support and for everyone who grabbed a copy over at my site. I really hope you guys dig the book.

#17 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Maybe hit up some cons if you can get to them and/or provide some to the cons as prizes for various competitions. Judging from the samples it looks awesome with a lot of good jokes assuming the reader has the background knowledge to understand them.

#18 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

Contact Malcolm at Trash American Style.
http://www.trashamericanstyle.com/

#19 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

Hey Purplejesus...thanks for grabbing a copy. Is the address on your paypal accurate? Please email me and let me know.

Winston Smith is the main character in 1984 btw.

check your PM box.

#20 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

Just to let everyone know.. I got my copy today... man It was rough getting it out of my mailbox (I have one of those community apartment boxes where they shove shit in easy from the back.. but forget about the frame on my side for the lock door!! but after some pulling and cussing I got it out w/o major damage)

But dude is for real... I have it here in my hands now... Looks good... Ed Piskor is legit. Thumbing through the quality is like the samples we have above from front to back of the book. Looks to be a fun read.

Will let ya'll know what I think about it when I finish it...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!