• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kid_e

kid_e

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 12:45 AM

I've been running Linux (Mandrake) on an Intel laptop/notebook of some kind for almost 5 years. And as notebooks continue to get bigger, I keep wanting to find something on the small side. I wanted something small, and all inclusive. I got tired of babysitting a wireless card all the time. Then I wanted bluetooth (there's another damn usb device to carry around). Then a separate cable for my cell phone. My intent is to reduce the amount of tech I have to carry.

So, I bought a 12" iBook with all the toys and am in desparate need of a distro (Jonesin' bad). Initially I went to Mandrake 9.1 PPC (9.2 PPC is not available yet). I tried every installation method possible. The thing locks everytime. I hate RedHat as a notebook OS, and Yellow Dog's site lists so much of the hardware as unsupported (side rant: How in the hell can a company promote a Linux distro on a platform for which support is missing for half the hardware?).

I have partitioned the HD and reinstalled OS X in preparation of a dual boot. And right now I am downloading the latest Gentoo PPC off a box in Australia.

If anyone here has got experience with Linux on the PPC, any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated.

#2 AXiD

AXiD

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 12:55 AM

I know this isn't exactly constructive at the moment however, I am not a Apple proponent. It's kinda like a Ford vs. a Chevy. I'd take the Chevy any day.

#3 natas

natas

De La Natas

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:19 AM

damn man you should just load panther on that thing.....i LOOOOOOVEEE os x 10.3 so much. i definately think its the best OS out there.... i mean why would you wanna buy a mac to run linux? just install os x 10.3 and the bsd and x11 packages and install fink and your golden man.

#4 kid_e

kid_e

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:00 PM

It came with 10.3.1 installed. And I do have to say that so far it looks to be pretty cool. I haven't played with the X11 stuff that much yet. I plan on trying Fink out. Maybe I should do it sooner than later. My thing is though that I like KDE and I like the ability of grabbing a tar ball on an app I wanna run and installing it. I wasn't limited by the distro I used.

#5 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 05:14 PM

yea check out fink man youll really like it i bet. its alot easier if you use fink comander with it as well (its included with it in the download)

#6 kid_e

kid_e

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:35 PM

I booted the Gentoo Live CD and it works great. But I'm going to hold off for now. I downloaded Fink (and Commander). Very impressive list of apps. My first task will be to install KDE and set it up as default.

#7 Zeigenfus

Zeigenfus

Sick in the head

• Banned
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:58 PM

OS X is essentially a freebsd base with the pretty apple shell on top of it right? Can you boot to straight console on it? anyone tinkered with it a lot? I have been debating getting a mac laptop (for similar reasons as you stated, there is something so nice about a 13 inch, vapor cooled, dead quiet laptop.) but the tiebreaker allure for me right now is OS X's functionality.

#8 automatic_jack

automatic_jack

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:08 AM

:( i dont understand the point of wiping osx off a box to put linux on it, i (try) to use linux on my pc cause its better than windows, but on mac, osx is t3h best. B) As i understand it one of the major selling points of apple computers in the way all the peices work together sooo well... in general apples are sort of a item unto them selves, the os is optomised for the hardware and the hardware optomised for the os. :borg: this hw/sw integration is part of who apple is...
Now i am shure its possible to tear that little jigsaw puzzle apart, and make your own peices and it will still work quite admirably,(ie linux ppc) but then its just the same as a pc that cost considerably less.

apples are good work machines BECAUSE they dont make funky noises, and don't require gratuitous tinkering.... putting all that trouble back in to the computer seems to me quite pointless.

zeig: full bsd functionality, they dont like to admit it, but "init 1" will get your ass 80x25 lines of console goodness just as fast as anywhere else, just remember its bsd not linux.
that console shit'll get you into trouble :)

#9 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:25 AM

yeah. add the x11 shit to osx and you've got yourself your 'distro', plus, you don't have to take a painful detour through hardware detection hell.

#10 automatic_jack

automatic_jack

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:48 AM

naah
don't try and make osx into linux (well you can but i wouldn't)
don't try and make linux into osx (well you can but i wouldn't)
they come from a very comon base but they have very different purposes...

osx is mac, mac iz osx.
linux is what ever the hell you want it to be.

edit:
| natas knows what i am talking about (but damn dude keep that kinda language in . \/ the p0rn thread)
\/

#11 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:19 AM

mac os x is soooo good i dont see why you would wanna try to turn it into a linux type of disto. i friggin ejaculate thinking of how buttery my powerbook with os x is....lol. not really but it is buttery. i would have to say mac os x is my favorite os its just that i wish it had a newer version of IE or a slightly better version of safari.

get final cut pro 4 and rock out with your cock out to some video editing!!!!!

#12 kid_e

kid_e

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:40 PM

"Linux type" means that it's mine. I can do anything I want to with it. I can haxor the kernel. I can fuxor the file system. Linux is mine and I can do anything I want.

The best Linux install is the one that takes you 3 or 4 months to get working perfectly. I know that sounds odd but it's true. Between hacking drivers, searching for fixes, and tweaking look and feel, there's a lot of fun and learning to be had.

In ham radio we have a word for the people that buy the shiny new toy off the shelf, take it home and run it, and have no clue how it works: Appliance Operator.

OS X is still The Man's OS. And while it may be bsd, it's still an Appliance.

This is my opinion and I do not make any judgements about other people's likes or opinions. If it works for you, that's all that counts.

The iBook does rock...

#13 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:08 AM

i would have to say mac os x is my favorite os its just that i wish it had a newer version of IE or a slightly better version of safari.

broken record says:
'download mozilla....download mozilla...download mozilla...'

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!