• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

I just bought wow about 3 days ago. now i have been playing it and it hasnt been to bad with lag until i get into a city. I have 256 mb or ram on my game pc( i know that isnt alot but i really only game on this computer so i dont care for it too much) I heard at 512 you are pretty much lag free. Any suggestions that wont involve me going to radio shack and getting ripped off for about 100$ for a 512 mb card. Also if any one wants to offer me some ram i am from the tri state area. i will pay just not a boat load.

#2 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

I just bought wow about 3 days ago. now i have been playing it and it hasnt been to bad with lag until i get into a city. I have 256 mb or ram on my game pc( i know that isnt alot but i really only game on this computer so i dont care for it too much) I heard at 512 you are pretty much lag free. Any suggestions that wont involve me going to radio shack and getting ripped off for about 100$ for a 512 mb card. Also if any one wants to offer me some ram i am from the tri state area. i will pay just not a boat load.

well you could just add another 256 stick, check on ebay usually when people upgrade their ram they have no use for the old ram sticks and get rid of them cheap. might wanna upgrade your video card too if you plan on getting into more serious gaming.

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:06 AM

RAM is a cheap upgrade. Depending on your RAM type, you can get 2GB (2 1GB modules) for $100 or so, and 1GB (2 512MB modules) for $30 to $60 on newegg. Get as much as makes sense, or get more. I'm sure you can find someone who has a credit card to order for you, their prices will be a lot better than a place like Radio Shack. Read your motherboard manual to know the type of RAM you'll need and if you have dual channel (in which case you'll want to get matching modules).

$100 for a 512MB stick is a complete and total ripoff. Newegg has single 512MB sticks for as low as $13. You probably don't want the $13 module, but better stuff is still only $25 or so.

You're probably hitting swap. To see if that's the problem, watch your hard drive light. If it blinks while WOW's framerate drops, it's most likely the problem. You can try closing everything else to save on RAM. Hit Ctr-alt-delete and close unnecessary processes that are taking RAM. Saving every kilobyte just gets you closer to smooth gameplay. Lowering the detail settings can help too.

#4 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

With WoW, RAM is basically everything. I highly recommend 2 GB or more.

#5 xxXXsh4rk80YXXxx

xxXXsh4rk80YXXxx

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

More will always be better :P

#6 Trevlac

Trevlac

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:31 AM

More will always be better :P

Except when you use a 32-bit OS. It caps at 4GB and depending on the devices and the OS, sometimes 3.12

No matter how good your hardware, your software will limit it. So no more is not always better :P

#7 japo capo

japo capo

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

With WoW, RAM is basically everything. I highly recommend 2 GB or more.

this man speaks the truth.

#8 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

I was looking at the types of ram cards and i think i am going to buy the 2 gb combo it has 2* 1 gb card. Now another question it askes me what type of card i have like a 168 socket or something else. im not sure but it only has one knotch about 2 inches away from the end.

#9 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

I was looking at the types of ram cards and i think i am going to buy the 2 gb combo it has 2* 1 gb card. Now another question it askes me what type of card i have like a 168 socket or something else. im not sure but it only has one knotch about 2 inches away from the end.

You need to get your motherboard manual and see for sure. Don't guess, it's easy to be wrong. "About 2 inches away from the end" won't help you at all.

#10 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

im not sure of a socket 168 do you mean 168pin? if so you may have a littel trouble finding cheap 1 gig sticks.

#11 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

168-pin is is SDRAM (not DDR) and hasn't been used in most PCs since 2000 or so. It also has two key notches, not one, so it's easy to spot.

#12 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

the computer that i want to put ram into came pre built everything sept the graphics card is standard, and it is a dell. i looked thought the product info guide and there really isnt anything about ram mabe i can look at my mother board next time my computer is off and you could tell me what type i need.

#13 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Or you could get on with it and google your dell model number. Seriously, you can google this, it's not hard.

#14 L33T_j0sH

L33T_j0sH

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:00 AM

newegg.com has some pretty good deals on RAM. check them out.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!